ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams #161 Project

R14 CUP
Renault have infuriated me today, ordered 5 parts in total, 2 have arrived and one of them is wrong. They have sent one scraper seal and no more seals and the rear boot trim they have managed to send a ph2 one, Grrr!!

Chav Rocket
i had this happen too scrapers instead of the top seal! PM me if you want the part numbers and ill dig them up.

R14 CUP
Yesterday i gave the williams a good first clean.

Washed with Dodo Supernatural, Lime Primed, a layer of White Diamond and a layer of Dodo Supernatural wax. Trims were in a bad state when i bought it, gave it a good covering of peanut butter and that greatly helped bring them back up to glory.

Was a quick clean, done and dusted within about 3 hours.

Very pleased with how she came up, paintwork is in outstanding condition for a 17 year old car. There are a few stone chips, but nothing to worry about - yet!

Number plates are being changed tomorrow for new ones, so should look a bit fresher yet..!

10.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Chav Rocket
is it just a reflection or is the N/S/R lamp no fitted correctly. looks well otherwise, get new fogs make such a difference to the front end. Ren do the yellow ones and the clear ones.
random pic i found to show how nice new fogs look
Picture065.jpg

R14 CUP
All door mouldings are fitted, its in for a service on thursday and i am collecting some Ph2 rear lights of Whiteley at some point.

Gave it a good coating of fk1000p ready for winter at the weekend, so should be all good. If the weather isnt too cold in the coming weeks i'll do it again.

Hoping to get the Wheels refurbed soon too, anyone know the genuine colour code for the wheels?

I had someone come into work (i work in a car dealership) asking if the Williams out front was for sale!! Tbh i do ASW it a little, as its the first car you'll see when driving past! :D

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
You'll upset the purists with those ph2 rear lights lol! They are much nicer though :cool:

The colour of the wheels is azko nobel or something like that, it's been discussed lots of times on WC to have a look there ;)

R14 CUP
I aint 100% bothered about it being 100% original, i want it to be OEM and i want it to be what i want, not what others want. As it stands it has the Ph2 rear trim on and i actually much prefer it to the earlier style.

R14 CUP
Exhaust has starting blowing, so ive just purchased a Scorpion Catback & Decat, good times to follow..!

R14 CUP
I'm buying Brembo Max Discs and M1144's tomorrow, :)

Braided Hoses to follow too, but doubt that'll be before mallory now.

R14 CUP
I'll give it a go, everything needs a good clean on the car, the bumpers all need to come off and get it all cleaned off, all the fixings and electrical connections are covered in mud and stuff. I'm hoping the mud will have acted like a protective layer!

I've also bought a set of PH2 rear lights off Whiteley.

Ordered a pair of Brembo Max discs from GSF and Mintex M1144 pads today from Merlin Motorsport. Front Discs and Pads for under £100, result!

R14 CUP
Brakes all fitted - feel superb, much better than standard item.

I have fitted exhaust, but i am not happy with it, it doesnt sound that great at all, it knocks on the rear axle and the fitment is very poor tbh. Really unsure what to do, tempted to get a new standard system and sell this on.

On another note, bought some bleed nipples for the front calipers, £10 per side :eek:

Clio Williams #0184
Mate, I'd always go standard or custom for a new exhaust, after market off the shelf ones always seem to have problems with knocking, bad fitment etc. I got a custom powerflow from tweeks a few years ago and still happy with it now, sounds great too. Blueflame also do nice custom exhausts.

I'd get some new number plates from fancyplates.com for it too, they always help freshen up the appearance imo.

Looks a very nice example, well done!

R14 CUP
I've got new plates on it, looks much much cleaner :)

Exhaust wise, im really unsure what to do. I don't want anything too loud, but i want it to sound good. In the meantime i have had it adjusted, and it doesn't knock half as much. I'm comparing it against my Yozza which is the most amazing exhaust ever produced, so its always gonna have a hard life!

R14 CUP
Welcome to the world of Mk1/Williams ownership Jamie!

Last night driving along, doing nothing outrageous. BOOOOM! All power cuts out and no drive, struggled to a stop at the side of the road, tried to restart it, turned over repeatedly, but nothing. Had a quick chat to Whiteley on the phone. Checked the fuses, Fuse 10 in the engine bay had blown, so put another in, it started up again and off i was on my way! 200 yards later, same happened, but managed to get it out of the middle of the road this time, LOL!

Anyway i got the haynes manual out that i have in the car, and by the looks of it, it was 'engine functions' fuse that had blown, had a quick look at fuel pump, wiggled a few wires about and it didn't do much. Whiteley had arrived by this point with a hand full of 30amp fuses, so put another in and got about 1/2 mile down the road and i thought WAHEY, its sorted! then BOOM, it went again, so we waited for a while for recovery to come and take the car back to my work and had a quick chat to Daz & Mat Brown, both had a feeling it was loom related/fuel related. Wiring all looked ok in usual places, near chassis legs etc.

Got to work this morning and it kept starting and blowing fuses. So we tested the fuses and they all had power running through them, no problems at the fuse box. Tested the adapter on the fuel pump and there was power going in. So took the pump out and put a direct 12v into it, and it quickly deposited all the fuel that was remaining in the system, so the pump appeared ok.

Anyway, put the pump back in, if only to merely keep the petrol smell out of the cabin! I started the car up again, whilst it was in and it started up and immediately cut out, due to a lack of fuel. I checked fuse OK! So i tried it again and started it and had it running off and on for approx 20mins, revving happily up to around 3/4k. Thought brilliant, sorted it. How wrong was i to be! Thought ill get it in and have a quick check over it before i leave work. Went to start it and it cut out straight away!

I am 100% confident that its the pump, so i am going down a Walbro 255 pump, just need to figure out which model i need as there are two options on the style of outlet mine has.

Oh, and many thanks to Whiteley for helping me and taking me home last night, :)

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
I always wanted a Williams or 16v RSi. Yours look amazing.

I only reached the 8v RSi though. Still, a lovely car and very quick. Shame i had to break it for parts.

I want to get a MK1 clio, strip it and put the engine from a 1.8 16v. (dreams dreams dreams)

My next project will be a megane 1 maxi replica.

R14 CUP
Yeah they are very good cars, even if hard work at times! Eventually i would love to put an F4R in it - that a year or so away yet though, it'll need to become a second car before that'll happen.

Fuel Pump should be here tomorrow, so she'll be running again.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
You can't F4R a williams!

F7R's a nicer engine in my opinion..

R14 CUP
I can! and i might! I aint taking anything away from the F7R though, the power delivery is completely different, there is power throughout the rev range rather than the power after 5k in the F4R.

ClioMK1, Clio 182
Yeh dont worry ur lucky having no sunroof mine leaked a couple of months ago and now the central locking receiver doesnt work, plus me passenger window goes up and down slower....its just the age i guess!

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Pointless goin F4R tbh, watched Beanie's car make the same power, 2 point something bhp less, than cliolords car at surrey rolling road a few weeks ago, both similar spec, forged high comp bottom ends, silly cams and ITB's. An F4 in a williams is just plain wrong to begin with anyway, plus they're fuckin pig ugly to look at, stick with the F7 ;)

ClioMK1, Clio 182
Pointless goin F4R tbh, watched Beanie's car make the same power, 2 point something bhp less, than cliolords car at surrey rolling road a few weeks ago, both similar spec, forged high comp bottom ends, silly cams and ITB's. An F4 in a williams is just plain wrong to begin with anyway, plus they're fuckin pig ugly to look at, stick with the F7 ;)

I solely agree hands down!!!!! F7R all the way!

ClioMK1, Clio 182

I solely agree hands down!!!!! F7R all the way!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
The rust spiders were eating your fuses, nowt to do with the Fuel Pump! ;)

P.s - Sorry to hear about the exhaust issues...Feel guilty for suggesting it now. But i thought it sounded good?! FYi, mine did knock a little, but more than barable?! I had it on the ramp a few times and got it 99%

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
if it was my Williams1 i would leave the f7r in and keep it as standard as possible

but i have no problem in shoving a f4r in a valver or any other mk1

R14 CUP
As I said, it's something I may consider.

Yesterday I fitted the fuel pump, going all ok got the new one in and sorted. Took the old fuse out and put a new one in, however noticed sparks from the fusebox. Anyway got some quick advice and was told 'that's normal' so I put all in. Then I saw smoke!!! Quickly removed the fuse. The smoke was coming from down by the chassis leg which appears to be a common problem. It wasn't doing this with a faulty pump. It looks like the wiring has been shorting out somewhere down there. Are there any earth connections down there?

This is becoming a proper Williams project thread now, haha!

R14 CUP
Right, ive stripped the front of the car down and i've found the fault, the wires have burnt out on the chassis leg where it was thought it might have done. Need to get some solder and i'm gonna repair the section of loom that is effected.

This is my first time ive ever really fixed a car, and so far its a cracking feeling!! :D

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Right, ive stripped the front of the car down and i've found the fault, the wires have burnt out on the chassis leg where it was thought it might have done. Need to get some solder and i'm gonna repair the section of loom that is effected.

This is my first time ive ever really fixed a car, and so far its a cracking feeling!! :D

It'll wear off soon mate.

I'm driving my williams at the minute and last night I shut the door and the side repeater fell out....

R14 CUP
Well I have got it running, runs perfectly. But there appears to be smoke coming from the engine bay in that passenger front headlamp/chassis leg area. All the fault wires have been repaired and taped up individually, but there still is a smoke.

I ain't 100% if it's exhaust smoke or a electrical burning smoke. Going to get an second opinion tomorrow, if not I'm gonna have to strip it back down again and see what the problem is.

I have put corrugated during around the loom where it has been catching the chassis leg.