ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Window Tinting

Any dos and donts when it comes to tinting clio windows. i.e does light smoke at the front and dark smoke at the rear windows go down well?

Anyone got pics along with what shade they have?

Agree with John. Was planning to go light at front then dark at back but when i saw 20% on my mates i had to have it.

A dont in my opinion is dont pay over £200 and use a company which guarntes(sp?) its work

Billybhoy, where abouts are you? I might be wy off, but judging from the name Id say youre up in Scotland? If so, I might just be able to help you out with some discounted tints. Let me know.

The dos and dont of window tinting are as follows:

DO stick to legal restrictions cuz the fuz will be all over you if you dont

DO have youre windows tinted all round

DO have a professional to tint them for you

DONT tint them yourself

DONT pay anymore than 250 quid

But seriously, ask whoevers tinting your windows exactly how theyre going to tint the rear window. Ive known of some window tinters to tint the rear window in three separate stages and it looks sh*te - you can see the joins! They should be able to tint the rear window just using one sheet and not have to bond it to the window in stages!

They have to do the bubble window of the new shape Clio in one of four ways:

1) Do it in multiple stages with different shaped bits of tint film

2) Do it in one piece but tuck/fold the edges and bond them against the overlapping section (silly but Ive seen it done!)

3) Do it in one piece cutting off the overlap and shaping it so theres bits where theres a slight join but not as bad as doing it in multiple sections, or

4) Do it in one piece and heat-shrink the sides with a glue gun/hairdryer/similar device so they wrap around the curves.

theres no easy way to do it.

Legality wise, 65% tint (ie. 35% transmission is the legal limit) - this is a light/mid smoke tint. However, the glass on Clios is already tinted about 32-33 per cent (67% transmission), so even a light to mid smoek tint will be illegal strictly speaking.

Dark smoke (80% tint) looks the best but is obviously illegal. However, I know a lot of people witht his tint and it hasnt attracted any problems from the rozzers so far. Ive got mine booked in for 80% tint all round on Tuesday, so Im hoping not to have any problems even tho its illegal!

Yeh, i just had mine doen last week, cost me £170. He did the rear window in 2 pieces, and u can see the join, looks dodgy i spose, but n/m! Will have to do!

Ive got "lights" on my side windows and a "medium" on my rear screen. This was to keep it legal (he told me the med was illegal for the fronts) and it also darkens it down quite a lot in the back, without it looking like i have different shades on the sides (which i personally dont like).

Hope that helps.

You can have anything on the back windows, its just the fronts and windscreen.

It is classed as a van with limo at the back I think?

i tinted mine myself dark smoke all round

i work or motor world so all in all it cost me about £30 for 3 rolls of tint if your gonna do it yourself be warned about your back window its the hardest to take out so i just left it in an becuase its double curved its near impossible to not crease or get an air bubble in it but ive been doin this for a while but if your gonna do it yourself make your life easier and take your windows out and seal the edges with clear nail varnish it will make the edges stick better so that you dont have to wait about a week to wind your windows up an down

FAO Essex_lad

I think the legal limit for front window tints is 25 or 30%. I cant quite remember which it is! Either way, you cant go too dark im afraid

clio williams, Ph1 172

this is light smoke front windows and dark smoke back. is legal and theres not that much difference from the outside.

It does look like that! Sure they got it the right way round??! lol

Looks good tho mate. Nice blue-ish variety of smoke tints, look right with the blue car. Im getting charcoal for my black one.

clio williams, Ph1 172

They arent blue tints. just smoke. light and dark smoke. reason it looks like that is cos of the rear window isnt done so the lights shining through that. backs def darker. Me and my mate did em. Max power film! just take all the windows out and do em. no bubbles at all!

i dont trust myself wit film knowin my luck ill first drop the glass then av one big bubble right in the middle, then av creases where ive tried to push it out!

clio williams, Ph1 172

Quite temping though to have a go yourself. Only need 2 rolls of film if u arent doing the back window. So £20 alltogether. Id never pay like £200 like some people. its only film.

to be honest even 20% isnt pitch black, id doubt if you ever get in trouble.

its only limo tints the police are really against, even putting limo tints on the back windows and 20% on the front gains quite a bit of attention from the police.

hello there,

I´m new here and from Germany, I have a tintshop in my area ( and a Clio of course ;))

are high reflective films very popular here? I have a Olive 16 h.c. ( Solar Gard, Bekaert ) I dunno if you´ve ever heard about that film...

I´ll send a picture of my clio with that film soon...

Ive got the silhouette reflective tint, its a charcoal tint but it looks lighter, yet harder to see into as a result of the reflectiveness. Overall, Im pretty pleased with it, it looks a little different to everyone elses tints, in a subtle way. Please note, this is NOT the mirror tints you get, it is a smoke/charcoal tint, but it has a certain aluminium content to make it a bit reflective.

Only thing is it aint dark enough so Im getting 5% rear and 15% front in a months time!

Fred may have the lowest Clio in the UK, but I plan to have the darkest!! :D