ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows Mail Question

Mercedes AMG GLE 53
First question. Am i right that "windows mail" is now what outlook express used to be?
Which brings me on to my second question. My mum has just bought a new laptop with windows 7 os. But there doesnt appear to be windows mail on it for her email.
Anyone got ant ideas? Or can it be downloaded?

Cheers

Mercedes AMG GLE 53
This is over my head lol. Excuse me for being thick Lauren. But windows mail isnt even on the computer. A mate has just text me, and he reckons windows mail isnt even on windows 7, which i find very hard to believe

Partner's Astra SRi
What version of windows 7 does she have? (Barry's going to look it up for you then I'll talk you through everything :))

To find out, click start and right click on Computer. Then click Properties and it'll tell you the information

Partner's Astra SRi
Ok, Barry's just said his Windows 7 came with Windows Live Mail. He has the Ultimate Edition of W7.

So, if she doesn't have that, then download it from the link above. Then she'll need to add her tiscali account (should come up the first time she opens it up) by following the onscreen instructions.

Partner's Astra SRi
I know, my vista came with Windows Mail but it looks like only some versions on W7 come with Windows Live Mail. Hope I have helped! Fingers crossed :)

Partner's Astra SRi
Added you on msn.

So does it have windows live mail? Try searching on the start menu. If not, download that coz I don't think there's a way of downloading windows mail.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Mate - it (Win7) does come with Windows Live Mail as standard. This can be hooked up to Hotmail, Tiscali, or just about any other e-mail provider very easily so don't stress... :D

Look on the start menu and look in the Window Live folder (or whatever it's called). It's definitely there somewhere as I set up the mail for my elderly mother recently and she's running Win7 Home.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
^^ Strange... I apologise if it's not there as standard; just going on experience of a fresh system that I had to setup recently. Even so, if it's not there then it's a free download so... :D

DMS

A thirsty 172
A few features from Windows Vista and previous versions aren't included or enabled in Windows 7 by default:

- Outlook Express / Windows Mail
- Windows Movie Maker
- Windows Messenger / MSN Messenger

Microsoft seem to be pushing this whole Windows Live thing these days, so if you want any of the above features you have to download "Windows Live Essentials" or each application individually (which will prompt you to install the others and will only take no for an answer after asking you about 5 times).

The applications included in Windows Live Essentials are:

- Windows Live Messenger (New name for Windows Messenger / MSN Messenger)
- Windows Live Mail (Replacement for Outlook Express / Windows Mail)
- Windows Live Writer (Some blogging app - I've never seen or used it)
- Windows Live Photo Gallery (Self explanitory)
- Windows Live Movie Maker (New name for Windows Movie Maker)
- Family Safety (Stop your kids / husband looking at p**n)
- Windows Live Toolbar (An annoying browser add-on that makes IE take longer to load just to give you a Windows Live Search function, which you can get anyway by changing your default Search provider to Bing)
- Microsoft Office Outlook Connector (Allows Hotmail access via Microsoft Outlook)
- Office Live Add-in (A toolbar for MS Office that lets you do various uninteresting things)
- Microsoft Silverlight (Essentially Microsoft's own version of Adobe Flash plugin)

I'm not sure of the reasons behind this new direction but I suspect it's either to reduce the number of OS features so that people who don't want them don't have to have them, or it'll be because someone somewhere threatened to sue MS for monopolizing.