ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenon gone

PH2 172
I noticed on my way to work this morning that my N/S headlight was out.

I've not had chance to check it yet, but is there any way to tell if it's the bulb that's gone or something else (ballast etc)?

Also, can the bulbs be changed without removing to bumper or anything else? I believe it's a PITA but as long as I don't have to start stripping down the front end :p

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Try the bulb from the working Xenon in it. It's a tight squeeze matey, but you should manage. Remove the rubber cap, then twist the bulb holder and it should come out easily.

Italian 3.2 V6
if not it will be the xenon ballast unit, this happend to both of mine a month or two bck. got a pair of ballast units cheap from a guy on here. paid 50 for them. renault retail them new for 10 a piece!!! also means it will be a bumper off job! :(

PH2 172
I've just tried to get the bulb out to swap with the O/S, I've got the cover off, and the starter(?), but I can't seem to get the bulb out. It doesn't seem to want to twist or pull out?

Is there a special technique to this black art? :p

There's a wire clip type thing holding it in. You need to squeeze both sides to release it then the bulb will just slide out.

PH2 172
There's a wire clip type thing holding it in. You need to squeeze both sides to release it then the bulb will just slide out.

I can't see or feel the clip anywhere. Is the picture of it so I know what I'm looking for?

182CUP
It is so much easier if you take the bumper off, it only takes 5 minutes.

You will have to take it off if the ballast has gone anyway. :)

182CUP
I don't know mate, I took mine off last night there are 3 bolts underneath and then just the screws in the wheel arch, and then pull the bumper off from the side be careful though as you can snap the plastic.

Someone might have a guide on here though!

PH2 172
I've found a guide, but one of the screws on the wheel arch is rusted to buggery and the head has been chewed.

Why is nothing ever simple lol!

Mk2 Ph2 Clio II 1.6 16v
I've found a guide, but one of the screws on the wheel arch is rusted to buggery and the head has been chewed.

Why is nothing ever simple lol!

Because it is a Renault, when they are building our cars they sit in a big round table inside a closed room and deate on how to make things harder than everyone, those that make it stupidly hard win a trip to Hawaii.

PH2 172
Because it is a Renault, when they are building our cars they sit in a big round table inside a closed room and deate on how to make things harder than everyone, those that make it stupidly hard win a trip to Hawaii.

:D

I managed it in the end, good job I took the bumper off though because it wasn't the bulb that went, there was a cable unplugged I think. Both lamps work now :cool:

However, in the process I managed to crack a bit off one of the bulbs. It still works, but isn't as bright as the other one.
https://www.xenonmaster.com/images/d2sbig.jpg

The brown tube bit at the bottom is now in 2 pieces, would it cause any damage to use it like this before it gets replaced?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Just a quick question -

If one of your xenons is out, am I right thinking the dipped beam light on the dash doesn't show up when you turn them on? :S

If not my car is having it's own disco!

Da

Less
Yeah but the headlights are seperately fused. If the offside has stopped working, check it's fuse :)

There are four fuses in total for dipped beam and main beam.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Checked the fuses this-morning, the o/s fuse had blown so replaced it and tried the lights.

No such luck and it blew the bloody fuse again :(

"Navy" N17 TWO
lol I might try the bulb in the passenger side, and the good one in the drivers side - see what happens.

I hope the ballast hasn't gone! :S

"Navy" N17 TWO
Swapped the bulbs around - still no joy - o/s fuse keeps going :mad:

Even tried swapping the black box that holds the bulb in place - still no joy :S

Anything else I can try/eliminate?

Polo + Micra
not a clue how to get to it but it's probably fuber on the inside so will look fine

"Navy" N17 TWO
My headlights aren't working (dipped beam) rest of the lights are fine.

Started off with the o/s xenon out, kept melting its fuse.
Swapped the bulbs over to check if it was the bulb - they were fine so I've been looking for someone to try trace a short for me.

Now both sides are out but the strange thing is the fuses aren't blowing :S

Bumder With A Buffer
Your car has aids. :)

So sidelights are ok??

Dipped beams (as in xenons??) are not working?

Main Beam is ok?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Yeah everything else is grand

Anyone know where the relay is located for the dipped beam?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Dam, thought there was another one for the xenons or something - Dad tried the relay in his dci and his lights worked :eek:

Why it's not melting the fuse now has got me bewildered TBQFH

Bumder With A Buffer
If I had access to a manual with wiring diagrams I could give you some stuff to look at...but I dont have one :(

Polo + Micra
i'm lost now :S

99% sure it won't be the xenon lamp. if you have unplugged the ballasts then it's going to be a short somewhere