ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

yoko A539’s

anyone got any expereience of these on a 172? Had them on the racing puma, made a vast difference. Not impressed with the standard Contis, seems to slide a bit. Heard good reports on GSD 3s, although these are £40 more than the A539s.

Cheers!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

A539 are sh*te - pay your money make your choice.

PE2 - Excellent wet or dry

GSD3 - Excellent especially in the wet

These are proven to be the best all round tyre.

[Edited by EVOgone on 25 July 2005 at 1:46pm]

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

A539s on my 172 Cup are without fault.

Theyre progressive on the limit, and break away very gently. Ultimate grip level may be down compared to other brands, but when theyre this user-friendly, you get to use more of whats available to you more of the time.

Downside is theyre no good in the wet, but HELLO, ITS WET FFS! Wet performance to me doesnt matter, I just drive slower.

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

I have a mixed opinion about these. Good value for the money i think. Very good in the dry but twitchy in the wet. I was having a conversation about my new tyres the other day because these are very soft rubber. I wanted something decent and these were the only ones i was pretty sound with.
In the end ive gone for a budget tyre call Median or Meridian.
Looks similar to Avon,s but again its good in the dry and seems ok stopping in the wet until you try goin round a corner. I know that people say you are suppose to slow down in the rain which i do but how bloody slow do you have to go.
But its takin some gettin use to as ive had 16" turini,s on for the last couple of weeks now ive gone back to 17/205/40s it feels really weird and the arches are rubbing very badly.(thats what happens when you lower the car)lol

2005 Impreza WRX STI

ive got 539s all round on 172 and handles mint!good wear rate too. a nice balance for price/performance

172, Tiguan

Id stick with the Continentals. Personally I wouldnt touch A539s with a bargepole, but thats me. They are cheap though, but they also offer no protection whatsoever to the rims.

Cheers Lads, think I may go with the A539s. Just phoned the garage, can get the yokos fitted for £49 and the GSD3s for £75. It has to be taxed this month aswell. Does anyone have any trouble with tyres rubbing. Was cleaning the nearside rear wheel on saturday and noticed the inside of the tyre was rubbing on the plastic liner. I dont use the car with passengers in hardly ever, and the wheel bearing seems fine. Havent got a clue what it could be.....any clue?

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Quote: Originally posted by MarkCup on 25 July 2005

A539s on my 172 Cup are without fault.

Theyre progressive on the limit, and break away very gently. Ultimate grip level may be down compared to other brands, but when theyre this user-friendly, you get to use more of whats available to you more of the time.

Downside is theyre no good in the wet, but HELLO, ITS WET FFS! Wet performance to me doesnt matter, I just drive slower.

Of all the brand name tryes A539 are the worst. Yes wet wether is mailto:cr@p">cr@p so "dont drive fast" its about safety if you need to break in the wet then your going to crash with the A539s.

It seem cost is the driver for your choice, if so then get Toyo T1r the latest ones they are quite cheep.

It amazes me people spend money on suspension / brakes etc then put sh*t tyres on and can not use it the performance "saftey". "Not aimed at the thread originator"

Anyways good luck in your choice, we can only give our advise. All tyre tests have shown the the A539 was last in term of performance.

[Edited by EVOgone on 25 July 2005 at 2:15pm]

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

Good choice fella.
I got very bad arch rubbing all round now.
I took the car roundd the M25 the other night, was doing quite HIGH speed and hit a dip in the road.
Big bang and pulled up to find my front nearside bumper sticking out.

oops :p

FWIW I used to own a front heavy little turbo car with a reasonable amount of torque.

Ive used:

(briefly) Toyo Proxies
Yoko A032rs (ss compound)
Yoko A539s

On my car I found:

Toyo Proxies -
Reasonably cheap
Good in the dry
Average in the wet, but braking was still fine imo
Wear rate is too high for my liking though

Yoko A032rs -
Expensive (£280 for 4 14")
The definition of road legal grip - you will not find a better dry road legal tyre
Average in the wet - but surprisingly no more so than the Toyos
Would only buy them again for track work - no need for the road

Yoko A539s -
I dont think theyre "sh*t" at all. My experience has been good overall.
Cheap tyre
No rim protection though (dont hit kerbs!!)
In the wet, better than the proxies in my experience
In the dry, progressive, better when theyre a bit more worn, would be a good compromise as a cheap/good road tyre
Id choose these over the proxies (although Ive yet to try the new proxies)

Its been my experience that the A539s have been good. They arent the be all and end all in on the limit grip, but are grippy, progressive, and if the tyre pressures are properly suited then are no where near as bad in the wet as some people are intimating.

My choice - A539s in your price range. If I could afford a bit more, I wouldnt piss about with Eagles, Id choose a set of Yoko A028s I think lol - Ive heard very good things about them.

I have run without problems on A539s for bloody ages, but the PE2 & GSD2/3 are awesome.

I have run on all of them, and dont really notice much difference, but then, I do run the A539s at low pressures.

/y0z

its completely standard set up. Cost is not a huge driver in my decision, I have had previous experience of these tryes and they were fantastic. I know that each car has different characteristics and the racing puma handled well anyway. Its just that they suited the car. If the GSD3s are that good, then ill get them, just wanted an opinion on the A539s.....

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Prox T1r - latest one are far better than A539 and should be in the same price range.

All tyres tests show the A539 as the worst performing brand name tyre. Im sure their judgement is a bit more scientific and creadible.

If fact both Nangkang / Viking has same of better wet wether performance.

Good luck if your choose A539s but at least it will be a mini adventure..!!

Weeman sucks ****

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 25 July 2005
Id stick with the Continentals. Personally I wouldnt touch A539s with a bargepole, but thats me. They are cheap though, but they also offer no protection whatsoever to the rims.

Agreed, just had 2 fitted for £113 which isnt bad. They might not be the softest tyre about but theyre a lot more stable than the Eagle F1s I had a while ago!

clio 200

i have a539 all round on my 172 cup and in the dry they are excellent but only downfall is in the wet they are awfull, yesterday(was raining) had to hit the brakes quite hard as someone nearly drove into me and they did skid too easily but with abit of cadence braking i came to a halt without smashing my car up

Lionel Richie

youre all gay, A539s are awesome

i hate PE2s

tyre choise is personal preferance, not what some scientific bullsh*t says

172, Tiguan

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 25 July 2005

tyre choise is personal preferance, not what some scientific bullsh*t says

Agreed. Find a tyre you like and stick with it!

cock mobile.

youre all gay, A539s are awesome

lol, constructive!

I used A539s on my punto (previous car) and thought they were very good value for money.

However I use GSD3s on my Clio and think they are awesome. Apparently theres nothing between them or the PE2s (from what Ive read).

I am a believer in you get what you pay for. But as people have said it is partly down to the tyre and partly to preference.

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Little Newms on 25 July 2005

i love my continentals!
ok, the above statement i made shouldve had a disclaimer

tyre choice is personal preferance *unless your name is Little Newms and you like it up the gary*

Ive had A539s on my 206 GTI, 306 GTI-6 & Clio 172 they seem fine to me. They do tend to wear away quickly.

The outright grip always seemed good to me & for £45 you cant go wrong really.

PE 2s are great, and then the shoulder goes?? then they are sh*te, and then they over heat.

gsd3s overheat and melt if you abuse them , but are great day to day.

a539s take a lot more punishment before they give up the ghost in my experience. HOWEVER - i do not think they are very good in the Wet. T1-S / T1-R is a good alternative in the price range, but then if you want something more hardcore, the Yokohoma Parada is within the same price range.

not trying to offer anything other than a balanced view.

Get the best tyre you can for the money.

:)

/y0z

Fiesta ST

I have the Yokos on my Mk1 (195/45/15R) and imo they are good in the dry. Ive had no problems with grip or anything like that at all. Sound tyres.

In the wet, hmmm its harder to say, because when its wet/raining I (and most others) drive slower. I havent ragged the car yet or been in a situation to see what happens. But so far so good. They came with the alloys and were pretty much new so Im not changing them.

I always recommend the Toyo ones though. Had them on my bros focus and you couldnt fault them. Excellent grip in the dry!

So to sum up, I would not knock the Yoko A539s at all.

Renault Laguna Sports

Pretender, (my son) runs A539s on his Peugeot 106 Rallye race car and they grip well and wear rate seems ok. But he doesnt have much choice as it is a control tyre for the championship that he races in.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Quote: Originally posted by Black Fox on 25 July 2005

Pretender, (my son) runs A539s on his Peugeot 106 Rallye race car and they grip well and wear rate seems ok. But he doesnt have much choice as it is a control tyre for the championship that he races in.
Control tyres (road-type )are chosen so to keep the speeds down. Hence crap tyre like the A539.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Quote: Originally posted by Black Fox on 25 July 2005

They are chosen to keep cost down and to make it a more even playing field.
Agreed but ask any race / championship director, speed reduction is the major factor. Crap tyres promote better racing.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

what and with PE2s the car will go quicker????
Yes, open to any testing to prove it. In the wet it would be a joke.

A539 - Widowmakers..!

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by EVOgone on 25 July 2005

A539 - Widowmakers..!

oh yeah i forgot we had that "bet" with me driving yozzas cup fitted with yokos Vs any clio you choose with any tyres of your choice

PERSONAL PREFERANCE

i bet youre gonna tell me full slicks arent as good as PE2s next

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Quote: Originally posted by EVOgone on 25 July 2005

A539 - Widowmakers..!

oh yeah i forgot we had that "bet" with me driving yozzas cup fitted with yokos Vs any clio you choose with any tyres of your choice

PERSONAL PREFERANCE

i bet youre gonna tell me full slicks arent as good as PE2s next
Now your just being silly, same car two different tyres types, easy test only one winner full stop, everyone knows its PE2. Previous thread had exactly the same outcome.

A539 are not as good as PE2s - final.

Oh yes in the wet full sicks are even worse than A539, i think we all know that one too.;)

[Edited by EVOgone on 25 July 2005 at 11:12pm]

VaVa

I dont get on with the A539s. Theyre not a bad tyre in the dry. I think it depends a lot on your driving style/ability. Yoz describes the exact feeling I get from the tyres and whereas to an experienced driver like him it means progressive feel and useability, it makes and average driver like me a little nervous.

ive had several experiences in the wet (even when driving slowly) where Ive had to brake and turn sharply in an evasive manouvere and the tyres have given up grip almost immeadiately and only a small amount of skill and a lot of luck has prevented me from dissapearing down a ditch...

Ill be gettting PE2s next.

Having just returned from the ring with a set of these fitted I feel I can at least add something.

I would rather be driving on the Contis, but they wear very quickly and are very expensive.

I tried the 539s on 32 psi and found them very poor, although they are very new. Put the fronts up to 35psi cold, and this improved things no end. I think they will improve as they wear down a bit too.

The wet weather performace on track was crap! Although I still over took an Impreza!

If I was just using the car on the road I would fit better tyres - but as the car does a fair amount of ring work, its important to have tyres that last a while. Sure I could get a tyre that performs better, but it needs to last too.

VaVa

Just to back up davyboys point, they do wear very well - mine have shown no real signs of wear after 4000 miles - the shoulder of the tyre on the contis wore away very quickly and the 539s are cheaper too.

Thanks for all these comments, the car doesnt really do a lot of miles so wear isnt important, neither is the cost. Went out in my mates cupra last night, he has GSD 3s on the front and it handles pretty well. If I was after something to put me on then the A539s would get it, think ill opt for the GSD 3s. Thanks again!