ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Your detailing blunders....

Just thought it might be a giggle to share a few of our mistakes a long the way ?

Add as you wish or just point and laugh at my stupidity :)

1) Rushing out and buying the wrong/not the best products before researching on here first
2) Hand polishing/cutting your entire car then trying to remember if you shook the bottle or not first ? :S
3)
4)
5)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My mate (srs, not me!) got a bit of bumper gel on the spoiler of his rover gti by mistake. Decided it made the paint look pearlescent so bumper gel'd the entire car. Looked f**king dreadful. Dust, flies, grass.... You name it, it was stuck to it.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
T-cutting my first car. Red Fiesta in the sun, baking hot day, seriously. I actually caused more damage trying to remove it!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Waited 15-30 mins for dodo juice to cure... After waxing the whole car. It did not want to come off.

squirting srp in the wash bucket. Grabbed the wrong bottle and didnt read it.

applied g3 polish without reading it... s**t myself when I found it was a paste and needed diluting lol.

The main one is getting bumper gel in my eye. f**k me that hurt.

GTD, Lupo
I was polishing my mates blue 1 series. I had just finished doing a section of the roof and I noticed I hadn't put the cable over my shoulder. I made a total mess of the top part of the drivers door and rear quarter. Took me about 2 hours to remove the damage I caused!

mixpioneer

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph2 172
Starting a thread on here titled 'Detailing On A Budget' that had to be deleted . . . didn't realise it would get so messy! :S

Mine would be letting Tardis dry on in the sun, not good!

My mate topped that in sixth form coming in with his new wax job.

He'd applied blue wax all over the car and asked me why it wasn't shiny, but didn't know he had to buff it off after applying...

He drove around for months with patches of wax all over his car and just left it... The mind boggles!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Forgetting that tardis is also a glue remover

my dad now has a "Mitsubishi outlander dia ond" lol oops

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
My mate (srs, not me!) got a bit of bumper gel on the spoiler of his rover gti by mistake. Decided it made the paint look pearlescent so bumper gel'd the entire car. Looked f**king dreadful. Dust, flies, grass.... You name it, it was stuck to it.

Flol! I had a mate that had matt black paint car, he decided to gloss it up one day with tyre dressing and it was filthy in a couple hours.

Mine is probably applying srp as if it was a wax and every weekly clean :eek:

Blunder? Ha! I'm god of this section.

Squeegee to my mothers bonnet when I flicked paint on it aged 11.

Honda & VW
Using a sponge to wash the car, then a chamois to dry it!!!

looking back my biggest fail was the use of a netted sponge I got free with a magazine.

Sold as being ideal for removing bugs, I used to use it to do the whole car as it removed most dirt after a good.... (Pains me to say it) scrub!!!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

Genuine lol! Ha!

Mini Cooper S JCW
Few years ago, i applied poorboys wheels sealant to my new pro race1.2 wheels far to thick and left for too long, was an absolute nightmare to get it all off lol

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Few years ago, i applied poorboys wheels sealant to my new pro race1.2 wheels far to thick and left for too long, was an absolute nightmare to get it all off lol

Ah yes. I applied original C5 and cured for about half an hour :|

RB 182 cup
I once applied some SRP to my old VTR and god knows what got caught in the cloth, but as i buffed it off i quickly noticed my buffing cloth was leaving single scratch and i had left about half a metre of circular scratched down the rear 1/4.
I managed to cut out but i was pissed off none the less.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, how long until the paint was translucent?

Haha it actually looked pretty shiny tbf, there was a bloke at work who I recently discovered does the same thing, well did until I told him its not necessary lol.

2 more things is holding the DA off the paint while the pad was spinning at near full speed, was like a mini explosion of foam and my pad was on the other side of the street, well half of it was.

And also using a scotch sponge to clean the inside of an alloy wheel, spent forever polishing it up to look half decent again lol.

Last edited:
  Mini Cooper S JCW
I also used some industrial cleaner stuff(cant remember what it was called) to clean my glass black pro race 1.2 wheels, took the shine off it completly, thank god i only done one wheel at a time! Took forever to polish it back up and even then it looks sh@t compared to the others.

133/225/CLS AMG
Worst personal blunders are nothing serious, Collinite baked on in the sun, wheel sealant left on too long. Nothing serious just things that made detailing a bit harder.

Worked with a guy who decided to remove bird sh!t with wire wool which as you can imagine left a lovely finish. Couldn't of happened to a nicer bloke!

Also my uncle's ex wife parked her Focus under some scaffolding which dripped rusty water onto the bodywork. Her genius solution was a bottle of Cif and a scouring pad. Ended up lovely flat spots all over the car!

Mk3 P1 dymanique 16v
Such good blunders here lol... The scourer pads make me cringe tho
my m8 only last week used AF clay n Wolf's Chemicals Pink Slip Clay Lube to do his brand new corsa vxr nurburg ring
and the lube broke down the clay in to chewing gum and stayed stuck 2 the car (plenty of lube used) was a rite mess took me 2 n1/2hrs 2 remove it without causeing damage
he was devostated!

Getting rid of tar spots with a scouring pad, yes i know. :eek:

Kinda the same, I used a scouring pad on my brother's Clio after the last day in school everyone pasted his car with bananas.
He never washed his car so after them being burnt on his car for months, it got handed to me and I used a green pad and fucked it righttt up lol

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Lol thankfully not I realised withing seconds that was wrong. I started on the roof with the idea starting from the top down but I had also left the sunroof open. This was 5 years ago and and on my old Dci only last month did I manage to get all the remains of the G3 from inside of the interior!!!

S4 Avant
I once put my brand new mitt in the clean bucket to rinse, instead of the dirty bucket. I could have cried.