ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 into 1.6 engine swap

Clio 2 1.2 16v
Hello! I just bought my clio 1.2 16v 2003 with D4F-712 engine. I am supposed to change this into 1.6 16v version think it's K4M engine. Is this a bolt on swap? Or do I need to replace electrics etc from the 1.6? How about brakes. Is it possible to change my front 238mm discs into 259mm discs and also would like to change rear drum brakes into disc ones. Could someone help me with these, are these possible and what would I need to change?

Clio 172 + Clio200T
1.2 is very different from 1.4/1.6 on many aspects.
You need to change the engine, and gearbox for sure. Obviously you will need the complete loom + ecu + uch + key of the donor car.
If you also want to make the transmission and chassis better.. you need to replace the whole rear beam as the 1.2 has no sway bar (1.6 has and 2.0 has a bit bigger than 1.6) so you will also gain disk hubs and calipers.
For the front.. iirc the 1.2 has skinnier hubs, so it may be good to swap them with a unit from a 1.6 so you will have bigger vented disks, bigger calipers and beefier hubs and axles.
With that you will need also struts with the correct bolt spacing.
If you wanto to do the whole job is a big thing and honestly don't know if really worth.. maybe it would be better to do the same but go for the f4r route.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I've almost finished mine, been doing it when I've had spare time.

Change the engine, box, engine wiring loom and uch/ECU/key chip.

Yes you can use the 1.6 hubs and brakes if they are larger than your 1.2 ones, it's a straight swap.

Clio 2 1.2 16v
Okay thank you! I would have megane with k4m-700 engine to donate parts. What do you think if those megane brakes etc will fit?

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Be sure the loom is the same.
Afaik the k4m engine should be the same.. but the loom may differ, so that you can have problems into doing a plug and play swap..
An option would be to pick up megane engine and source a clio loom.

For the hubs.. I suspect them to be different

Clio 2 1.2 16v
Okay still something in mind. I could have a megane scenic 1.6 16v to get parts from. Engine, wiring etc but could I also get big brakes from it? Or is megane/scenic whole different to mix with clio 2 1.2 16v?

Clio 182 5Door
Well I don't have experience with the 1.6 but I did go from a 1.2 8v to a 2.0 16v. I can say it's a bit of a ballache, definitely get a donor car, because you will need more off it than you think. I had to swap absolutely everything

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
they are of similar age so probably quite closely related.

the 1.2 16v and 1.6 16v clios use the same front brakes, only the 1.2 8v had smaller brakes. if you are going to the hassle i would want to swap over to widetrack and 2.0 16v brakes/suspension.