ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1*2 or 197 - £3,000 to spend at the very most

Skoda Citigo/Octavia
All,

Work commute is now only 9 miles there and back so i am in a position to purchase a warm/hatch as i'll only be covering 3k miles a year now!

I owned a 172 Cup 10 years ago, loved it so much and wonder why i ever got rid!

Anyway, with £3,000 to spend at the most i am torn between 172 Cup, 182FF or early 197 (cup pack if poss)

From your experience what has proved more reliable please? Do you think the 1*2 may appreciate where as a 197 won't?

Other cars on my shortlist are...

Suzuki Swift Sport - seem like good fun and reliable??
Peugeot 306 GTI/Rallye - Always loved them, hard to find
106 GTI - Always loved them but shot up in value now
Megane 225 - Costly repairs i believe???

Cheers all

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I would get a really good 172 or 182.

I think at £3000 you won’t get a great 197.

Megane will be shite at that price too.

The others just aren’t as good as the Clio.

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
I'd say 106 GTi all day long, you can still get sound examples for around 2000-2500. But if you're using it for commuting (even if it's just 9 miles a day) I'd go for a Clio 172/182.
It'll be hard to find a reliable/looked after 197 for that price I'd have thought.

2004 Racing Blue 182
Just to give you an idea of what you can buy with £3k. I bought this for £3k about 5-6 weeks ago, and it’s utterly mint. 2004 182FF Cliosport Member owned for a while now.
23d7f633dc104e15d82f8ec53f2e7c14.jpg
7bbc8116686169eda157a557eff27c02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skoda Citigo/Octavia
Just to give you an idea of what you can buy with £3k. I bought this for £3k about 5-6 weeks ago, and it’s utterly mint. 2004 182FF Cliosport Member owned for a while now.
23d7f633dc104e15d82f8ec53f2e7c14.jpg
7bbc8116686169eda157a557eff27c02.jpg

Wow, that looks absolutely incredible, best colour and best wheels which also have the best finish! What is the mileage?

Ideally i want 100% standard but i'll accept i may have to buy one that has been lowered, air filter change etc, anything not too difficult to swap over.

Congrats mate, that really does look incredible!

I am looking for this colour or the other blue, the same one as they did in the 172 cup. If you see anything like this close to the Kent area please give me a shout

Cheers

182 Turbo
Wow, that looks absolutely incredible, best colour and best wheels which also have the best finish! What is the mileage?

Ideally i want 100% standard but i'll accept i may have to buy one that has been lowered, air filter change etc, anything not too difficult to swap over.

I am looking for this colour or the other blue, the same one as they did in the 172 cup. If you see anything like this close to the Kent area please give me a shout

Cheers
i wouldnt buy one with an original exhaust if i were you

2004 Racing Blue 182

Cheers

About 95k at the minute mate. It’s not a million miles from standard to be fair if you exclude all the updated mounts/bushes etc. It has ITG ind kit, Janspeed exhaust, cup dampers and eibach springs and the Turinis. Think that’s it as far as ‘mods’ go. I didn’t want one that had a load of mods done either.

Skoda Citigo/Octavia
About 95k at the minute mate. It’s not a million miles from standard to be fair if you exclude all the updated mounts/bushes etc. It has ITG ind kit, Janspeed exhaust, cup dampers and eibach springs and the Turinis. Think that’s it as far as ‘mods’ go. I didn’t want one that had a load of mods done either.

Put it this way, i would most certainly take all those 'mods' to have that colour combo, wheels, plus being a minter.

Think i just need to patient and the right one should come up.

Cheers

You had a nightmare then mate? I shouldn't i ask!

Don't mind the Civic tbh, but just favor look of the Clio overall
Snapped belt on the way to having the belts done taking valves with it, then 300 miles later and near £1500 it dropped a valve seat in cylinder 3 so is now scrap!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
After having a remapped R26,im really not sure about that statement now. Would have to a totally mint 182 to tempt me back - but having browsed for a few months now,theyre very rare! I think its just a case of being patient..

But you are thinking of returning ;)

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
As echoed above really, personally I'd recommend going for the best 172/182 your budget can get you. They are raw enough to be enjoyable, yet have creature comforts to make them a decent daily option. And a tidy 1*2 is going to be worth more in the future than a tired 197/Megane would for the same budget. :)

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
As echoed above really, personally I'd recommend going for the best 172/182 your budget can get you. They are raw enough to be enjoyable, yet have creature comforts to make them a decent daily option. And a tidy 1*2 is going to be worth more in the future than a tired 197/Megane would for the same budget. :smile:
I don't think 1*2's will ever be more expensive than the 197/200/Meg (barring Trophy) in an honest opinion. It's kept it's value very well unlike the 197's and so on but I can't see them dropping much further in price, they're already at a steal. Yes, they're more expensive but they're also a lot newer and a lot more revised so they've plummeted much harder than a 1*2, I just can't see them getting much lower in price without being free! This is obviously standard against standard.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
I Bought a 197 cup in nimbus for a steal last October. Can't say I've driven it much apart from the journey home. Have a megane turbo conversion i'm putting together at the minute. Can't wait!