ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.5 dci no start.

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
Hi,

A while back I gave up on my Clio due to a repair going bad and needed another load of money dumping into it. I ended up buying a working car for less than the repairs. Now I'm stuck at family's house with my Clio I've been trying to get the engine running again.

I was planning to part the car out and someone wanted the injectors but backed out so I had taken off my fuel lines ready to get them out before he messaged back the no no. My engine won't run now it's definitely a fueling issue mixed with probably 100 other issues. If anyone has any ideas would be much appreciated. Any questions of pics of what's going on with it I'll share but I've got no check engine lights ( I did yesterday but no codes and it disappeared now) my glowplug lights off when I have the ignition on. Engine cranks but the battery isn't very happy so I keep recharging the battery I get the occasional cough from the engine but unsure why or when it occurs.

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
Update: more tweakings and some brake cleaner later I've got the running to start once or twice, wont hold its own steam needs throttle and will die down or start motor to keep cranking.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
very vague description so it could be 1 million things but ill take a stab in the dark at the most common and say its a fucked injector or 2 or 3 or 4 and that's why its not starting as the rail isn't seeing enough pressure to fire. chances are if an injector or 2 is on the way out the pump probably is too.

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
very vague description so it could be 1 million things but ill take a stab in the dark at the most common and say its a fucked injector or 2 or 3 or 4 and that's why its not starting as the rail isn't seeing enough pressure to fire. chances are if an injector or 2 is on the way out the pump probably is too.
I wouldn't know what more info to give I just have to learn to fix things as they break most the time, sorry :).

All of them have pressure I crack the nuts but injector number 3 tends to have alot more pressure built up in the line and injector 1 spirts out lotta fuel when I got it to run. Quickly shut off after.

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
Have you primed the full fuel system?
I primed the low pressure fuel system with the hand pump under the fuel filter. I also moved around he filer and lines to get as much air out the lines as possible. Back when the car was running there were a few air pockets in the lines which from what I saw ( it worked and run fine) and heard thats fine. However now there is bigger bubbles in it at times too, I've got most those out now and the engine starts with brake cleaner but wont hold idle or run for long.

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
I wouldn't know what more info to give I just have to learn to fix things as they break most the time, sorry :).

All of them have pressure I crack the nuts but injector number 3 tends to have alot more pressure built up in the line and injector 1 spirts out lotta fuel when I got it to run. Quickly shut off after.
I forgot to mention the engine was working before hand I had issues with my driveshaft and hub before parting some things out. High pressure tubes to the injectors came off went back on and now no start

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I primed the low pressure fuel system with the hand pump under the fuel filter. I also moved around he filer and lines to get as much air out the lines as possible. Back when the car was running there were a few air pockets in the lines which from what I saw ( it worked and run fine) and heard thats fine. However now there is bigger bubbles in it at times too, I've got most those out now and the engine starts with brake cleaner but wont hold idle or run for long.
Have you cracked the injector lines when cranking too?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah if fuel is going everywhere then the system should be primed

Just keep trying to get it going, my old dCi did this once but once it was running it was sound afterwards. I never found the issue and it behaved afterwards haha

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80

Just keep trying to get it going, my old dCi did this once but once it was running it was sound afterwards. I never found the issue and it behaved afterwards haha
That's inspiring to hear but painful that there's no root cause. It worked before I just pulled the lines off now it doesn't work 🤔🤔

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80

I got some not very good sounds. This had the injectors cracked to try bleed any more air out as I had a few tiny bubbles come through when I cracked again

Attachments

• VID_20200324_153854.mp4
    101.1 MB
  Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
Update: Engine starts now (majority of the time) however throttle response is non existent pretty much, the idle is HORRIBLE and the engine keeps running with the key out. Sounds like when the keys out its not running off all 4 pistons though. Any way I can test the injectors? I've tried the bottle and vacuum lines on the return feed on the injector but the engine wont run long enough to get it flowing and see which injector is fkced

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
Update: Engine starts now (majority of the time) however throttle response is non existent pretty much, the idle is HORRIBLE and the engine keeps running with the key out. Sounds like when the keys out its not running off all 4 pistons though. Any way I can test the injectors? I've tried the bottle and vacuum lines on the return feed on the injector but the engine wont run long enough to get it flowing and see which injector is fkced
Injectors never came out just the high pressure fuel lines, guy totalled his dci or something so didnt want them anymore.

And is there oil in the inlet?!!
Would I see the oil in the airbox with the filter? Not sure where you are mentioning on the car these frenchies have nothing similar to anything else i swear

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Injectors never came out just the high pressure fuel lines, guy totalled his dci or something so didnt want them anymore.

Would I see the oil in the airbox with the filter? Not sure where you are mentioning on the car these frenchies have nothing similar to anything else i swear
Pull the EGR out and check in there mate. Sounds like something is very a miss but if it's running on its own power without the key

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
Pull the EGR out and check in there mate. Sounds like something is very a miss but if it's running on its own power without the key
Tis a tad fucked yeah, hopefully it'll be back on the road. I keep giving it a jab anytime I'm back at the family's as I use their drive as a junkyard for cars