ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.6 / 1.6 rsi

ClioIII 138 S
Does anyone know the different specifications for the clio 1.6 and the clio 1.6 rsi if so could you post a link or maybe reply with the main specs thanks

ClioIII 138 S
Yea sorry i wasnt very clear. ive heard the 1.6 16v is 110bhp but i guess the 1.6 rsi is rarer and i cant find much info on it thanks for your help

BMW F31
do a search theres loads of info on these two models, has been talked about only in the last 2 weeks ;)

fyi, the rsi has leather bolstered seats, the 16v has velour, tbh thats it other than a couple of other minor bits

**waits for giles** :)

al

ST on the way...
The RSi has cable throttle and the 1.6 16v (PH2) is fly by wire.

1.6 16v Has VVT from 02 onwards.

BMW F31
the rsi and 16v mk2 ph1's have a cable throttle, the ph2's have fly by wire.
i didnt know bout the vvt.
what are the advantages to vvt?

ClioIII 138 S
i been told that the rsi is 115bhp and the 16v is 110bhp and apart from the half leather seats which i wil replace and throtle cable is that all the difference?

Clio 197
The Clio Si 1.6 8v 90bhp and Clio 16v 1.6 16v 110bhp was the early model mk2 ph1 in 1998-1999

In year 2000 - 2001 they change a bit of it, Clio Si 1.4 16v 98bhp and Clio RSi 1.6 16v 110bhp - with leather seats.

RSi are rare model for mk2 ph1 and only 1000 were made in UK.

Now could be a few RSi left.

al

ST on the way...
the rsi and 16v mk2 ph1's have a cable throttle, the ph2's have fly by wire.
i didnt know bout the vvt.
what are the advantages to vvt?

It makes for interesting conversation, thats all i've discovered so far :S lol

ClioIII 138 S
i currently have mk2 ph1 which i really like but lacks power. so going for 1.6 which i can work on. The 1.4 8v (approx70bhp) i got is a no go area as far as increasing power is concerned but i got bout 2k of mods on it so will swop alloys etc to new car and sell the 1.4 not far off double the power between the 2 lol. Will post photos when i get my new car after xmas

Thanks for all your help

BMW M135i
Benefits to VVT, well without a power/torque curve from a non VVT 1.6 and a VVT 1.6 I couldn't say anything for definite but generally speaking.

It can give a flatter torque curve and possibly more torque down the bottom end, also it may produce more power earlier in the rev band but not change the peak figure. The 1.6 VVT engine in the megane is also 115bhp, without RR'ing the Clio (should be soon) again nothing definite but it could be that little bit more powerful.

One thing I have noticed it that theres no 16v 'kick' that you usually get around 3krpm on a 16v engine, every other one i've driven has done it bar the Clio. Its quite fun in my mums astra as the kick is quite pronounced. That may be acreditable to the VVT but having never driven a non VVT 1.6 I can't say as i've got nothing to compare with.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
dont see many ph1 16v's on the streets either.. i have raced ph2's not much difference tbh.. i have only been beaten by rs clios EVER but not always! Non cup's cant handle the coilys! lol

E36 M3. 182
1.6 's arent that quick, ive had one for just over a year now and im well bored!!! rsi is basically a trim level, using the same engine/ running gear and i think, suspension as all the other 1.6 16v (pre vvt) clios. mind you the seats are miles better than the ones a mate has in his 172 cup, the ABS is handy too. :cool: and apparently its not really worth bothering tuning the 1.6 motor, for the money youd spend on the car+mods, you could bag a cheap mk1 172.

Polo + Micra
Benefits to VVT, well without a power/torque curve from a non VVT 1.6 and a VVT 1.6 I couldn't say anything for definite but generally speaking.

It can give a flatter torque curve and possibly more torque down the bottom end, also it may produce more power earlier in the rev band but not change the peak figure. The 1.6 VVT engine in the megane is also 115bhp, without RR'ing the Clio (should be soon) again nothing definite but it could be that little bit more powerful.

One thing I have noticed it that theres no 16v 'kick' that you usually get around 3krpm on a 16v engine, every other one i've driven has done it bar the Clio. Its quite fun in my mums astra as the kick is quite pronounced. That may be acreditable to the VVT but having never driven a non VVT 1.6 I can't say as i've got nothing to compare with.

i get a definate change at 3750 rpm but i suppose mine aint exactly standard

BMW M135i
I can't feel anything remotely in mine, just seems to make its merry way up the rev band smooth as anything. Nothing like the other similar capacity 16v things i've driven anyway.
What year is yours Dink ? Whats modded engine wise ?

Polo + Micra
it's a 52 plate so late 2002

the only mods really are a bmc cda IK and a 100 cpsi sports can and s/s cat back

BMW M135i
VVT engine was Nov 02 onwards so would be interesting to see whether its the VVT engine or not. Though mind you the bmc, cat and exhaust may free things up and release the kick. Much like the 1*2 owners who have lost the 5k kick through wrong diameter exhausts etc ?

Polo + Micra
i had it delivered on 20 oct 2002 so not a vvt engine

it has been ragged to f**k so that might of helped too lol

VVt on the 1.6 was supposed to give 5hp on the other 1.6 versions in other cars but the Clio one didn't offical gain anything.

No huge gain from VVT though give the power a bit more speard out but mainly IMO its for emmisions.

BMW F31
dont see many ph1 16v's on the streets either.. i have raced ph2's not much difference tbh.. i have only been beaten by rs clios EVER but not always! Non cup's cant handle the coilys! lol

i find it quite difficult to keep up with my mates vts but that is because they are lighter and more bhp i think?

wouldnt even think of racing an RS lol i know the outcome.

what has anyone else raced and beaten in 1600's.

i beat a 2.0 bmw coupe once off the lights and through some twisty bits, he just couldnt keep up and stay on the power like i could (because of RWD i guess), be quite interesting to see what other cars the 1600 is likened to.

CB600FS
^^About the same made I'd say in a line, they're probably better round roundabouts and that.

Polo + Micra
i've beaten a 54 plate modeo titanium x tdci up a hill doing about a ton

beat my mate in an audi a6/8 1.8t

and most other 1.6's apart from the vts/gti's

al

ST on the way...

i find it quite difficult to keep up with my mates vts but that is because they are lighter and more bhp i think?

i beat a 2.0 bmw coupe once off the lights and through some twisty bits, he just couldnt keep up and stay on the power like i could (because of RWD i guess), be quite interesting to see what other cars the 1600 is likened to.

Trounced a diesel 3 series beemer (about 53 reg not sure of engine but it WAS diesel and it was being flogged)

Had a 180bhp Fabia VRS in the twistys on Sunday :approve:

I just like the sleeper effect of the 1.6's, everyone seems to think cos they look standard that it must be a 1.2 ;)

CB600FS
^Al whens your next meet, wouldn't mind seeing how the DCI does against a few better driven 1.6's. Only pansies drive them round here can't compare it properly.

*Flame suit* I usually pull away from any saxo vts/vtr easy. 2nd gear out of roundabouts, soon as the turbos in no trouble. Doing 80 in the fast lane of the private runway, vts shoots up behind, I plant it to get past a sprinter van, pull in about 90, keep booting it and he couldnt get past me, up until 120. Didn't go any furthur with slicks on the front. :quiet: AND I had a gti gearbox in the boot. Don't rate them to be honest.

BMW F31

Trounced a diesel 3 series beemer (about 53 reg not sure of engine but it WAS diesel and it was being flogged)

Had a 180bhp Fabia VRS in the twistys on Sunday :approve:

I just like the sleeper effect of the 1.6's, everyone seems to think cos they look standard that it must be a 1.2 ;)

lol thats very true, went to basildon the other night with a friend, he has a 1.2 turbo punto, a guy he knows was looking under his bonnet, i remarked there was no point looking as there's nothing to see.
he said to my mate yours faster than his?
i said he wishes lol.
then he asked my mate what mine was and he said a 1.6 he was like whhhaaattt!
lol its so true bout the 1.2 approach, anyone who's in the know knows what it is with the wheels and 16v badges, once i get 1.2 badges and some euro rims no ones gonna have a clue *cue evil laugh* mmwaahhhaaahaaa haaaaaaa :evil:

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I have a loner form Renault at present, 1.6 sport on an 04.

It's really quite quick & the brakes almost stand it on it's nose.

ClioIII 138 S
The 1,6 in general looks pretty rare can only find bout 4 rsi's online aswell, but as youve all told me theres no performance differences between 1.6 and 1.6rsi. So wont waste time searching for rsi got bout 4months to buy one so will find a gooden.

To you 1.6 owners what good mods you guys got??

Thanks

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
ooohh.. Could you tell me how many 1.4 Si's there were then? and how many were vertigo green? :D

Clio 197
^^ nope they did made Si 1.6 8v in 98-99

Don't know how many green were made but Si 1.4 16v only made 800 in the UK. Renault run out of time to make more cos the clio ph2 came along end in 2001.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Thank you very very much, i have always wondered!

I know they made 1.6 8v Si's,

but they never nade 1.4 8v Si's.. thats what i meant