ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1210 Miles, 7 Days, 34.4 MPG - The Lakes

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
So, another lovely long driving write up from me.. :eek:

For the third year running for the mrs' birthday, we were off to the lakes. (The last year for a while I might add).

The last two years have been a joy in the Clio, it's an awesome car for those sort of conditions, but after recently buying the z4 I was really quite excited about the prospect of flying around with the top down, and well, just the prospect of having a different "fast" car to drive around. It didn't let me down.

We set of Saturday morning very early as usual, I couldn't actually believe the boot space. I forgot to take a photo of this, but I managed to fit a suitcase and three holdalls in the boot. Awesome.

After 5 hours or so, we were there, I'd gone for the best lodge available on our particular park:

Arrival:

IMG_0079.jpg

The journey up was brilliant really, cruise control makes the miles much more enjoyable and you can always squeeze the loud pedal when you fancy it. Not to mention being so much more quiet than the Clio! Despite being a good exhaust, an aftermarket exhaust is never as quiet as standard.

Anyway, after booking the awesome lodge (the only one of it's kind) we had a few treats upon arrival:

IMG_0075.jpg

And the living area was lovely! (I forgot to photo most of the lodge, sorry).

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

The view from the lodge was awesome too.

Oh and we had a hot tub:

DSCN0250.jpg

FSCN0367.jpg

So yeah, the first few days we did quite a bit of driving around, enjoying the roads climbing mountains, going to lovely little pubs. If the weather's nice up there, I really cannot recommend the place enough.

Driving through a ford was awesome:

DSCN0234.jpg

After driving through we parked up and went for a walk up the river:

IMG_2022.jpg

And climbed into the river :eek:

DSCN0224.jpg

After a really long walk, which involved loads of climbing around rocks and getting stuck in the river, we went back to the car, where slightly dewy grass meant I was a little stuck for a minute or two....

IMG_2023.jpg

Anyway, another day we went over to Kirkstone pass, after going last year I couldn't help but go again. I climbed a mountain, a few of these shots show just how awesome the roads are, the other shows how happy I am with my mountain climb.

DSCN0090.jpg

DSCN0082.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

On the way home, Olivia seemed to be enjoying the joys of the z4:

DSCN0035.jpg

Where as I was enjoying the roads and scenery:

CIMG2870.jpg

CIMG2878.jpg

CIMG2863.jpg

DSCN0225.jpg

So another day passes and we're out and about, on the way home we popped to this lovely pub, proper proper lovely, if you're ever around Mungrisdale, I'd highly recommend it, and I thought it was a good chance for a sneaky picture: (by this point, Olivia was sick of pictures of the car).

DSCN0160.jpg

We stayed here most of the evening, quite enjoyed some guiness and good company, including a weird dude and his dogs, who wouldn't leave us alone and insisted on calling Olivia "Amy Winehouse" (and asked her to take a photo of him).

CIMG2884.jpg

Nice dog though...

CIMG2885.jpg

So, the next day we decided with the awesome weather to go out on another boat on one of the local lakes:

DSCN0039.jpg

We also saw an air-lake rescue, pretty cool:

DSCN0062.jpg

And the views in general were awesome..

DSCN0047.jpg

Ok, so there's pretty much the end of any proper photo taking that was write up related... other places visited were:

The World Of Beatrix Potter (very weird and full of Chinese/Japanese tourists getting foamy at the underbeard).

DSCN0013.jpg

DSCN0007.jpg

DSCN0029.jpg

Overwater Hall Hotel (very pretentious, but very very nice food (I only managed to picture the desert as the dining room had emptied))

DSCN0177.jpg

Anyway, after all that, I've come away loving the z4 10x more than I did for the first week I had it.

The repair job is perfect, so the car looks great, it's entirely un noticeable with a whole load of new panels and a passenger door that opens now (result!).

As for how it drove, whilst up there I really did start to find my feet with the car, nothing silly, but the pace it can achieve is quite frankly frightening, especially compare to the Clio lump, it just seems to have endless pulling power right through the revs. Corners and dips in the road were brilliant fun, we even managed to get the back end off of the floor down one particularly steep dip :eek:

I also learnt that three points turns aren't necessary on empty country lanes, full lock, first gear and just spin it around, brilliant fun (if not a little childish of me).

I've got a brand new steering wheel to put on tomorrow, and got some other things coming up to tidy it up further, but yeah, if you've managed to get this far down, thanks.

Finally, a rather cool picture olivia took on the way home, not sure why but I really liked it:

DSCN0277.jpg

182 track, Mk7 ST

This lol! Good job on that one lol!

On the other hand looks like a great trip Rob, one place I want to go to one day. Did The New Forest with the missus last year, it's lovely down there too with some great roads and scenery.

Glad you're enjoying the car properly at last, I'm coming around to them very quickly nowadays where as before I absolutely hated them although for the money it'd have to be an M3 for me ;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
This lol! Good job on that one lol!

On the other looks like a great trip Rob, one place I want to go to one day. Did The New Forest with the missus last year, it's lovely down there too with some great roads and scenery.

Glad you're enjoying the car properly at last, I'm coming around to them very quickly nowadays where as before I absolutely hated them although for the money it's have to be an M3 for me ;)

Greg basically follows my post to check if there's any mrs pics going on, s'ok.

As much as I agree with you on the m3, they look quite "normal" but are frighteningly quick. Thing is, from what I've heard, you've got to be pushing them so to really enjoy them, which isn't really possible on the road. That, and the running costs are mental. This z4 costs no more to run than the clio really (bar tyres).

Great write up just like last time!

You look like Plan B in the hot tub!

Cheers mate, so I look like a tubby London wannabe gangster? Wonderful.

I love you.

Looks like a great trip mate, did a similar trip to Wales last year, only with a mate, and less sex. And Spark was there. And we got very drunk, in a Travellodge.

So not similar at all.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Would you mind if I beat one out whilst looking at your mrs in the hot tub?

Or would that be a bit weird?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
LOL we averaged about 20mpg going to Belgium and back in a Z4M, thats f**king good work sir! Car looks lovely, never followed up your thread but I take it that it got sorted?

Your Mrs is fit.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Would you mind if I beat one out whilst looking at your mrs in the hot tub?

Or would that be a bit weird?

I'm unsure TBH, is this an invite to your hot tub? Or a computer based act?

I love you.

Looks like a great trip mate, did a similar trip to Wales last year, only with a mate, and less sex. And Spark was there. And we got very drunk, in a Travellodge.

So not similar at all.

Sounds alright to me TBH, especially with the scottish sweetheart.

LOL we averaged about 20mpg going to Belgium and back in a Z4M, thats f**king good work sir! Car looks lovely, never followed up your thread but I take it that it got sorted?

Your Mrs is fit.

Ha, cheers.

The z4 easily manages mid 30's, the motorway runs were averaging more like 40ish, then just dropping down around the lanes etc.

The 3.0 6Cyl is a pretty good engine as an all rounder really!

182 track, Mk7 ST
Daniel have you been a bit starved of certain things lately haha? I've seen some of things you've been posting lol!

Greg basically follows my post to check if there's any mrs pics going on, s'ok.

As much as I agree with you on the m3, they look quite "normal" but are frighteningly quick. Thing is, from what I've heard, you've got to be pushing them so to really enjoy them, which isn't really possible on the road. That, and the running costs are mental. This z4 costs no more to run than the clio really (bar tyres)

Lol, well I'm not complaining ;)

Yeah does seem the common consensus on them, all the power is at the top end and yeah the running costs are extortianate, I looked into chopping the Clio in for one towards the end of last year but quickly decided against it for the time being (I'd prefer to have a life rather than just a car lol). A guy I know down your way has had one for about 6 months and it's been transformed into a track weapon, cage n all :eek:

Didn't realise the Z4's were that cheap tbh, £200 a corner for good tyres though?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Daniel have you been a bit starved of certain things lately haha? I've seen some of things you've been posting lol!

Lol, well I'm not complaining ;)

Yeah does seem the common consensus on them, all the power is at the top end and yeah the running costs are extortianate, I looked into chopping the Clio in for one towards the end of last year but quickly decided against it for the time being (I'd prefer to have a life rather than just a car lol). A guy I know down your way has had one for about 6 months and it's been transformed into a track weapon, cage n all :eek:

Didn't realise the Z4's were that cheap tbh, £200 a corner for good tyres though?

Z4's are surprisingly cheap, everyone I know thinks I've bought some expensive car, I guess most just don't realise how things get cheaper.

Yeah tyres aren't fun, but I'm not thinking about that for a while, I'll just buy the 19" CSL's with good rubber on.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Looks awesome. I was up for a weekend on the 24th of last month when we had the heatwave. Like you said when you get the weather you can't beat it.

pimp mobile Zafira
Great write up and cracking shots. I've not been up for about 4 years. Reading this makes me want to get it booked.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Awesome Robbo! Good lad! Uber jealous of the Z4, surprising what image a car gives off. BMW Z4 and people instantly think you've got money and the car is worth a million pounds. Cheap motoring fun imo mate, Z4 > MX-5.

Costs? Text me if you wish, the OH really fancies it.

Looks like you picked the right weekend for the break anyway! Always want to go down to the lakes but something always comes up.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Great write up and cracking shots. I've not been up for about 4 years. Reading this makes me want to get it booked.

Cheers mate, it's such a stunning place that's effectively on your doorstep, the first time I went, I couldn't believe I was still in England!

Awesome Robbo! Good lad! Uber jealous of the Z4, surprising what image a car gives off. BMW Z4 and people instantly think you've got money and the car is worth a million pounds. Cheap motoring fun imo mate, Z4 > MX-5.

Costs? Text me if you wish, the OH really fancies it.

You're telling me Kev, it's insane. My zed's worth less than quite a few Mx5's etc that are about, but people just assume it's worth a lot of money. Guess it's the result of the BM badge :)

I'll PM you with details.

Looks like you picked the right weekend for the break anyway! Always want to go down to the lakes but something always comes up.

You're telling me mate, it was a full week, and the only day it even considered spitting was the day we left. My boss was saying he's going to start booking holidays in sync with me because I have got the weather the last few years by total fluke. Poor JD up there now in the cold and snow!

Nice write up Rob.

Cheers matey.

Looks like a top trip! Need to sort out Wales/the lakes/Highlands with the Mrs as well, amazing what decent roads we actually have hidden away in the UK when I spend 99% of my time in London or sat on the Motorway. Lodge looks bloody mint as well which is a bonus.

320d
Great write up, looks like a really good trip.

I love Z4's, a mate of mine had a 2.2 straight 6. Always like that.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Looks like a top trip! Need to sort out Wales/the lakes/Highlands with the Mrs as well, amazing what decent roads we actually have hidden away in the UK when I spend 99% of my time in London or sat on the Motorway. Lodge looks bloody mint as well which is a bonus.

I think getting away and driving some of the "proper" roads is the only way to keep yourself interested in driving! We should do a road trip Sam!

Fire me over a copy of Gally's PM too Rob.

Epic chebs btw :p

Have done.

Great write up, looks like a really good trip.

I love Z4's, a mate of mine had a 2.2 straight 6. Always like that.

Thanks mate.

That's the engine I had in the 3 series, I imagine it actually feels OK in the z4, the 3.0's more fun though ;)

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
Lovely..

sigh//// stop makibg me look at z4m's when my A1 is due to land any day hahahah!!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
There are only 2 things I noticed here..

1.. Your not coming back for a while? :(
2.. Your Mrs is still fit

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Looked like an awesome trip Rob. The Z4 looks epic and it's making me want one :(

Need to get myself back up to the lakes over a weekend tbh, convince my mates dad to give me and him the boat. Not driven up there in a while and it's not far from me anyway.

Oh and your missus...<3

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Got a website/number for the place you stayed mate? Looks lovely!

I'll PM you mate.

Lovely..

sigh//// stop makibg me look at z4m's when my A1 is due to land any day hahahah!!

Ah, the age old, "oh f**k I could have bought one of those"

There are only 2 things I noticed here..

1.. Your not coming back for a while? :(
2.. Your Mrs is still fit

1) Not for a while, well not for the same sort of holiday, maybe for some other reason, or a cheeky weekend in the winter or something.

2) I'll pass on the love

i'm not gonna lie. i want a go on your mrs.

and you.

then your mrs again.

You're such a sweetheart. Are you making your own way to the Grasshopper meet.

Awesome write-up as usual mate.

Great effort with the boobshot too.

Cheers Cwissy, I have to make an effort just for you guys.

Looked like an awesome trip Rob. The Z4 looks epic and it's making me want one :(

Need to get myself back up to the lakes over a weekend tbh, convince my mates dad to give me and him the boat. Not driven up there in a while and it's not far from me anyway.

Oh and your missus...<3

Cheers mate, the mrs will be glad she's well liked by "my car friends".

Personally, I love the picture she managed to take in the zed at 80mph.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I don't mean the one she took of me, I mean the one of her with the hair etc everywhere. Proper cool picture.

OOooohhhhh. Aye tis a good one that. I love getting in my friends MX5 regardless of the temperature with the roof off. It's hilarious.

Fingers crossed Friday I'll have my other friends Mk1 Golf Cabriolet running, then even more roof off action :D

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols! Could have a had a Z4M.. bought an A1.

Winning.

Rob how does the missus like it? Image etc?

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
You are punching above your weight fella.

I mean seriously, do you have to punch her to remind her not to leave?