ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

17 on a 5-door clio

Hi guys, i own a 5door mark 1 clio 1.4RT. At the moment my car is lowered about 60mm all round and its riding on 15"rims. Im wanting to get 17s on and im pretty sure they wont go on if my car is that low (am i wrong?). Is it possible to get my arches rolled enough on a 5door to get 17s in nicely? how much money am i looking at to get it done?

Oh yeah and i was thinking about getting adikt buzz alloys, i saw them on a mates clio and they looked pretty sweet even though they are pretty cheap. what do you guys think would like nice in 17s on a mark 1 clio? Price isnt really a problem but im not exactly rich either :p

Cheers guys. J

beinterested in replies as have 15s on my 5 door rt at the mo and am thinking about lowering it more or putting bigger wheels on or both! only lowered 35mm at mo, but not sure if it will be able to b lower with my new bumper!

almost sure arch work would have to b done. asked at r tec and they will role the rear arches for bout £95.

how much rubbing u get RoodRT, what springs u got? u uprated the shocks?

cheers

Pete

hey pete, well to be honest i bought the car lowered. So i dont know what springs are on there :p i would also be intrested to find out whats on there so id be able to find out exactly how much its been lowered. With my 15s i get no rubbing although i dont know why coz there is very little clearance between the wheel and the arches :p ive got 15/195/45 atm but i want to get 17/205/40

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

205/40/17 will rub on a 5dr i know cos i have tryed some on.

195/35/17 might work but rubber will be expensive and will bump the price up loads.

205 is just to wide i think if u get a good offset and get your arches rolled on a 60mm drop u should be fine i doubt u will get full lock though.

MaLicE

i dont get full lock on mine now with 15s! and get fair bit of rubbing as soon as i put anyone in the back!

yea think 205 wide just has no chance, not even sure with arches rolled with big drop and 17s.

ah man :( . hehe. yeah i forgot to metion i get a little rubbing on full lock ;). well my friend has offered me to try his 17s on my car just to test the fit, they are 205;s. I think its quite hard to get 195 on 17s aint it? ill check at autoxs tomoz. You guys think ill need to roll the front aswell or just the back? I suppose width doesnt really matter coz im giving up my handling and speed with my 15 inchers anyway to turn into a pimp motor. Do insurance company mind the roll of arches without you telling them or do they screw?

I have 195/50/15 on the back of my 5 door, and the arch is just above the tyre wall... If I drive on my own, the inner arch lip makes a mark on the tyre.. so that needs grinding off sometime. Bad bumps make it bang on the plastic liner (I think)...

I cant carry people in the back very well any more.. I can have one light person, but have to go quite slow, and you can often hear it scraping all the time... I reckon, if I got rid of that arch lip, Id be a lot better off.. I would imagine any bigger than what I have now, would cause me some bigger problems.

On the front, its -35mm (I want it going down lower sometime though) and it rubs slightly on full lock, but apart from that its fine.

Its all down the offset of the alloy at the end of the day.. Juss has 17s on his Clio with -35mm I think, and he doesnt seem to have any problems... He does have 3 doors though.. Cant see the rear arch being MUCH smaller though on the 5 door.

When I go lower on the front again, Ill go round all my arches in grind that lip off.. Im hoping this saves a lot of my problems.

There was a 5-Door Clio in Fast Car a while back, he had 17"s on and he reckoned it took him 8 hours on -35mm to get the arches right, but he cant take passengers in the back.. (according to the write up).

What a long post, but hey, it had everything I wanted to say in it! :)

Daz.

Clio Gtt

its all in the offset and tyres! all new falken have a sloped tyre wall.

i have seen a 5 door on 17, but you will only be able to lower it 35 max at the back.

on a two door you can drop it to the floor if you relocate the bumper mount.

ive seen the 5 door on 17s that was in fast car. is close to me, hes in hodesdon.nicley done car. saw it on the car park once and looked at the arches from what i saw really wouldnt b able to get anyone in the back without the wheels just sitting on the arches!

Do you think my car will look dodge if i raise the back torsion bar of my car and leave the front low? I dont really want to go into the hassle of raising the front. Actually knowing the exact lowness that my cars been lowered would sort out a lot of problems is there any easy way i can tell? juss whats a good offset and what do you think about 205 width? I think ill have to do some more research when shops etc are open. Cheers for helping guys

phone r tec, generally very gd when it come to fitting wheels and what arch work needed. dont have to use them just use their advice! could do what im thinking and put 16v front wings on, should sort out the front for u!just put up a post about it so check out the replies there.

As to rasining the front, yea think it might look a bit dodge!

Pete