ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 engine will not idle

Clio Sport 172
HI Guys/Girls

I have just built up a 172 engine to replace the one in the clio I bought with a rod through the block. The car was mostly complete but was missing the whole intake system up to the throttle body. SO I have put it together to best of my ability. Timing I know is an issue and I followed the instructions as best I could. The engine has a ported head, reground valve seats and is running a set of high lift cams I got second hand which are allegedly Prima Racing ones. The exhaust is a 182 stainless, with a Ktec racing cat, and a 2 1/4 system.. It has a new dephaser etc

The Car fires up with your foot on the throttle pumping it only, it tries to start but doesn't really get going without the throttle depressed. if you keep it above 1300 it will stay running albeit not very nicely.. lumpy, horrid really.. I have plugged in an OBD2 code unit and it is coming up clear of faults. It seems to get a little smoother further up the revs although I have not revved it hard being thats its all new bearings etc.

my thoughts..

*Is this a TDC problem and if so why is their no fault?
*I replaced the pre cat lambda (with a bosch one) ...
*Could it be faulty plugs, leads, coil pack?

OR.... is the timing out ?

Any and all suggestions advice sought

thanks in advance Doug

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Proper tools used to do the timing? As in genuine Renault ones?
Did you spin the belt round a few times with the pulleys loose and cams locked?
Checked the horse shoe went back in after turning the engine over a few times?

Clio Sport 172
Proper tools used to do the timing? As in genuine Renault ones?
Did you spin the belt round a few times with the pulleys loose and cams locked?
Checked the horse shoe went back in after turning the engine over a few times?

I did not spin the engine the over whilst the cams were locked and the pulleys loose as the crank was locked in TDC position with the pin, I am not sure as what this would do? or prove? Also I should mention I fitted a woodruff keyed bottom pulley as found on the turbo versions for added security.
I am not sure what the Horse shoe is? can you please elaborate for us less clued up?

cheers Doug

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
The horse shoe slides into the slots on the end of the cams to keep them in place.

Rotating the belt a few times evens the tension out across the whole length of the belt.

Clio Sport 172
The horse shoe slides into the slots on the end of the cams to keep them in place.

Rotating the belt a few times evens the tension out across the whole length of the belt.
The cams were clamped properly with the correct (horse shoe) tool along with the crank pinned