ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

172 Ph2 electrical issue, no dash. possibly UCH?

Ph2 172
Hi all,

I have a fault with my ph2 172. sorry for the long post- want to include all the details. Car has been off the road for a long time but battery gets charged and engine started regularly.

Yesterday I jumped in, some ignition lights came on, started engine. I noticed the dash seemed dead, all these where inoperative:-
Instrument cluster backlights
mileage display
speedo & rev counter
fuel gauge
temp gauge

I tested some switches, these still worked OK:-
exterior lights/ fogs
roof light
elec windows/mirrors
hazards
indicators (but no usual clicking?)
Radio
A/C heater panel

Turned off engine for a few mins. re-cycled ignition, then immediately engine now wouldn't start/crank over? There was No immobilizer light at all and now no electrics as before- no lights, wipers, central locking. BUT both Fog lights worked? :unsure:

After scratching my head and searching on here, I have:-
Checked all the fuses at passenger dash fusebox & engine bay fuses/relays. None blown, no corrosion or loose.
Checked under glovebox at UCH plugs & relays, gave them all a wiggle, unplugged & refit. all secure, no signs of water/loose contact.
Tested main battery voltage again, battery ground point & earth straps- all ok.
Tried both keys.

I left the car overnight. Come to it this morning and the car is now back to the same first stage-
Central locking now working with both keys.
Engine now starts and runs, alternator charging ok.
all side/dipped/high beam lights, wipers, windows ok.
Immobilizer light is back flashing as normal with key out. once engine is started, light does not stay on or flash.
hazards & indicators work but no clicking/beeping.

All these are still INOP:-
Instrument cluster backlights, mileage display, speedo, rev counter, fuel/Temp gauge, engine management light at any key position

I have removed the UCH for a closer look. opened it up and not found any signs of moisture/ corrosion or damage.
I was thinking to check the back of instrument cluster? but I get some dash lights with the ignition on- some are possibly missing.

Is there anything else I could check? or is this most likely the UCH?

any help would be appreciated,
Thanks!