ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

172 track car buyers help

Golf gti
Hi guys,

Looking at buying a 172 track car currently, if not this one then possibly a different one later on.
What advice can you give to look out for? Rust? Engine/gearbox/clutch issues? Specific type of maintenance?
Also... ktec coilovers? I know ktec are a big dog in the renault tuning world but are these coils any good? I don't like to go over board on track setups so I don't mind a capable cheaper set but if they're just for lowering and not really suitable that is an extra expensive I need to cater for.
Any other advice then shoot!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
1*2’s are great out of the box but you need to remember, they’re 15+ years old now and most will need a complete suspension refresh.
whatever you buy, buy it based on the condition and the service history. I’d much rather a 150,000 mile well maintained car than a 50k car that’s just had an oil change once every 5 years. The engines are bullet proof.

cambelts are a big expensive job; £600 all in. Due every 5 years/72k.

K-Tec coilovers are useless for the track. Avoid.

buy off a club member, something with a recent suspension refresh, decent discs pads and tyres and you’re 90% of the way there.

they also respond really well to weight reduction. So don’t be afraid to buy something at least semi stripped; you’ll want to do that anyway.

good luck!! I love my clio track car, can’t see me ever selling it.