ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs 182 Manifold

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Afternoon all,

I know the title is probably enough to make people roll their eyes. But it's a slightly different questions, I think..

So, I have removed the engine from my 172 Cup track car.
While the engine is out, is the 182 exhaust manifold a worthwhile mod? Or do I just leave the 172 manifold on? I've read a lot of conflicting threads if it's worth doing or not

Thank you.

Even with the engine in place it's doable if you take your time. You have to lower the subframe though. I've combined it with replacing the steering rack for a DCI one, and with changing the ARB bushes. I also took out the manifold and cat in one piece.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Even with the engine in place it's doable if you take your time. You have to lower the subframe though. I've combined it with replacing the steering rack for a DCI one, and with changing the ARB bushes. I also took out the manifold and cat in one piece.

The engine is already out now.

My thoughts are to get rid of the PAS too. So I'll probably be going down the EPAS or looped rack idea.

Back on topic lol. Even if the gains are minimal with the 182 manifold, it's the access to the cat bolts that are appealing to me. The 172 manifold cat bolts are right in the way, just sitting over the steering rack.
It looks like a pig of a job if the engine was in situ.

Cheers for the replies so far guys :)

Megane R26
I recently swapped my 182 manifold over with engine in. Definitely worth it if the engine is out, I heatwrapped mine too.
Made the car less revvy up top and a tad more punchy low down. Less of a 5k kick too and a bit more noise than with the 172 manifold.
Cat fitting bolts are easier to access as you said.