ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 with Megane 265 engine?

stebat

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Hi 👋🏻,

Is there any reason no one has put a Megane 265 engine into a Clio 172?

All engine swaps I have seen are all the Clio mk3 200??

Thinking if I’m going to get more power may as well just do a swap!

Any thoughts??

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Cost is going to be the biggest issue and it’s a lot of work for 265 horses compared to turboing a standard engine.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
People are put off by having to notch the chassis leg for the PK4/ND0

Plus if you felt the weight of one you'd realise turbo'ing the standard engine with a Megane headgasket, getting a diff, mapping and all the bits would work out far cheaper than even buying a 265 engine

stebat

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
That’s the kind of answer I was looking for, I thought there would be something stopping people doing it!! ‘Notching the chassis leg’🤯
Weight? Why they so much heavier??

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
The PK4 box is about 80kg with fluid, whereas a JC5 is about 40kg with fluid. My megane has a PK4 and lifting one of those onto a gearbox jack alone is enough to put me off 😂

stebat

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Wow, makes you wonder how much they rated the box too to add 40kg of weight.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
There's a fair few MK3s running 400+lbsft on the PK4 box but I wonder if they changed the internals on them?
I'm not too sure tbh mate

I know a few of the lads in the dCi circle have killed boxes at about 375ftlbs. A bloke in Portugal gas a forged 250 running stupid horsepower and still hasn't killed the box so not sure if he's done some trickery with it

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I can't remember what the full code is for them in the Megane, PK04-18 and - 19 IIRC for thr lad and non lsd box?

Bearings are w**k in them though, Loads of guys having to replace boxes or rebuild. Seemed to be a bad batch in some of the newer face-lift cars as well

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I had a PK4001 originally, then replaced to a PK4013 with a 250 LSD from a PK4018 and the bearings in the 250 box were fucked and only a couple in the dCi box were shagged. Had it fully recon'd and its sound now

It's just down to the bearings in them and how thick the oil is too. Running cheap s**t oil will make them wear stupidly fast and the bearing material delaminates too

If there's one thing Renault never manage to get right it's a bloody gearbox 😂

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
If there's one thing Renault never manage to get right it's a bloody gearbox 😂
And when they finally do get it right, everyone complains ;)
maxresdefault.jpg

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
It took me about a month to gel with it then it just seemed to all fall into place and I found it just as focused as any Clio before it when you were on it and as civilised as a golf around town

When I first drove an auto I had to tuck my left leg right back to stop me going through the windscreen😂😂 Im used to sitting on the motorway and using no feet at all now, cruise control set at 80mph all day

Ain’t that the truth.

Every renault I’ve tried the gearbox is awful, they really should have packed it in an gone to zee Germans for em.
I'm sick of getting them rebuilt tbh😂 My mate loves me because its a never ending stream of money because everyone I know gets sent there😂😂

172 Phase 2
Late reply to this thread. I am in the process of putting a 265 motor in, I decided it would be easier to use the megane 2 box instead of the pk box. I didnt weight them but the 225 box is definitely lighter. The only issue I am having is fitting the clio 2 top engine mount to the 265 engine with out modifying the timing belt cover of the meg 3 motor