ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Occasional Starting Issues

BMW 320d SE
Having a little issue with the Clio. If I don't use it for say, a day, when I try to start it, the engine turns over but won't fire in to life. However, it then always starts on the second attempt. This doesn't always happen, only around 60% of the time. I thought it might be the battery as I went away for a week and the trip had reset itself.
I've had the battery tested today by Halfords. This was the result:
474230D5-4D67-4216-AF87-902201DB09D9_zpsiqbzjeph.jpg

They say the battery is good, so am I looking at the TDC sensor issue now?

172 Cup
I've been experiencing a similar issue of late. Coil pack all good, leads new and plugs NGKs with life left in them still.

02 Iceberg 172
Usually the trip resetting is a sign that the battery is on it's way out, these cars seem pretty sensitive to a battery that is starting to go.

Am I reading that right, the battery rating is 380CCA? If so that seems a bit low to me...

BMW 320d SE
Yes it's 380cca. Is that too low for a 182? Some of the others I was looking at are 450cca, which would clearly be a lot more powerful at startup.

02 Iceberg 172
I think anything below 400CCA is a bit low, iirc they came with batteries rated at around 500CCA from factory- or at least they did here in Australia.

450CCA would definitely be better than 380CCA though!

Perhaps before you buy another battery though, give the TDC sensor a bit of a clean and see if that makes any difference - even if just to rule that out :)

Yes it's 380cca. Is that too low for a 182? Some of the others I was looking at are 450cca, which would clearly be a lot more powerful at startup.
They are all 420A, 47Ah, 063. from the factory the nearest to the original i could find without going to Renault was the exide premium.