ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182, strange noise, clutch?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I noticed today, when the car was stationary with the engine running, everytime I press the clutch there's a strange noise you can hear coming through the air vent. Almost like a metallic, ticking noise. When the clutch is released the noise is gone.
Normally I have the music on so I don't hear many noises the car makes, but today I had the music off and could hear it.
It might have been doing it for a while now, I don't know?
The clutch doesn't feel like it's slipping. The car drives as normal.
The only other thing I might add, and I don't know if it's related? When I set off in 1st gear there's a slight judder for a couple of seconds. Almost like the tyres are struggling for grip. I'd put that down to the damp and wet conditions we've been having lately.
Whether they're related i don't know?

Does anybody have any thoughts what it might be?
I've uploaded a video so you can hear the noise.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Clutch release bearing I'd say.

They're not brilliant on these.

How old is the clutch?

I get that slight judder too sometimes, doesn't feel concerning though. I've put it down to worn mounts/bushes.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Clutch release bearing I'd say.

They're not brilliant on these.

How old is the clutch?

I get that slight judder too sometimes, doesn't feel concerning though. I've put it down to worn mounts/bushes.
Clutch is original, 17 years old and 116k miles.
Are we talking new clutch time or can I live with a while longer?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Will be ok short term, but it'll get louder and/or potentially fail the bearing at some point.

I'd look at getting it done in the next month or so at least.
Cheers for the advice 👍
I had a feeling it was the release bearing.
I'll give Birchdown a ring in the morning.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I would’ve thought the opposite would happen. I.E when the clutch is pressed in, the noise goes away as everything is under load.

With that age and mileage on the original clutch, I’d bet it’s the bearing thrust guide.

When mine went it rattled when you pressed the clutch in, not when it was disengaged.

Worn guide

3652C9C1-957D-482E-B697-97B9CBD10AF2.jpeg

New guide

A065B526-171C-453D-9E18-1E73B63778E3.jpeg

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I would’ve thought the opposite would happen. I.E when the clutch is pressed in, the noise goes away as everything is under load.

With that age and mileage on the original clutch, I’d bet it’s the bearing thrust guide.

When mine went it rattled when you pressed the clutch in, not when it was disengaged.

Worn guide

View attachment 1632811

New guide

View attachment 1632812

Could well be.

Either way it's a clutch job 😅