ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

185/55/15 to ???

MK3 Sport Tourer TCE
I'm going to need a new set of tyres soon.

I currently have 185/55 on, can my standard Renault alloys take any other width tyre?

Would people recommend I keep the same profile/width or try something different [if applicable]?

I'm a noob, so answers in straightforward english please :)

BMW M135i
I usually go to brittania in Nuneaton, last F1s I had fitted were £42 each fitted iirc. There good for f**k all other than cheap tyres though.

Meg on pistonheads £6995
you're fine then!

my 15-17 swap was 1.8% diference

LESS THAN 4% is OK otherwise speedo/gearing combo goes way out

BMW M135i
Oh I see what you mean now, I read it as though you were getting a 4% difference between 185/55s and 195/50s.

MK3 Sport Tourer TCE
Is there any chance that the tyres will rub if i change from 185 to 195?

Nope, not on the standard wheels.

Yes they will if you drive hard/track days etc at the back

Its not to much though just a skimming of the rear arches ideal check the rear screws thing which hold the liners in aren't damaging the tyres.

BMW M135i
Oh right, though mine rubbed because of the 7j wheels rather than the 195 profile. Learn something every day.

If 195/50/15 are cheaper than 185/55/15 and do a better job why arent they original manufacturer fitment. Seems a bit odd.

Particularly on cost terms.

If 195/50/15 are cheaper than 185/55/15 and do a better job why arent they original manufacturer fitment. Seems a bit odd.

Particularly on cost terms.

Renault will pay the same price regardless.
Also 195/50 catch on the rear arches plus the 172 were supposed to use the wider tyres.

The cost of fixing the rear arch catching isn't worth it.

MK3 Sport Tourer TCE
So 185/55 is the only size available to me, without me having to modify the wheel arches? :(

So 185/55 is the only size available to me, without me having to modify the wheel arches? :(

No you can use 195/50 just they catch on the rear arch liners a bit on stock offset wheels.
If you do use 195/50 just idealy cut the rear screw bit that holds the rear ach liner on off.

BMW M135i
Just to add I haven't bothered cutting anything out of mine, just keep an eye on where its wearing the liner to make sure nothing sharp is going to be rubbing the tyre.

MK3 Sport Tourer TCE
One last question on the subject, would an insurance company view low profile tyres as a modification?

Should you in theory notify them?

I think I'm going to try a set of F1s or Exaltos and keep a close eye on how bad the rubbing is at the back.

One last question on the subject, would an insurance company view low profile tyres as a modification?

Should you in theory notify them?

Difficult to say that they aren't stock so yep but there unlikly to be any boxes for insurance to tick so they'd just let you off most likly.

However when i got mine fitted originaly Demon Tweeks said there normal replacment wich if my insurance come back to me I'd use when they try and refuse payment as there no benefit from themhp etc wise just there cheaper.

MK3 Sport Tourer TCE
I've still not decided whether to go for the wider 195 tyres.

It's been brought up that the rear tyres will rub if I drive hard, but what about if I have passengers in the back? That will make it worse, right?

Dunno if I want to risk damaging the tyres/car just to make it look better :S

03 Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique
cgap, in similar situation as you mate, except I actually bought some average'ish tyres in a 185/55/15H and wish I had got different ones! Might ebay them and get some Toyo or Continental replacements.

Why is there the risk of rubbing on a 195/50/15, have you lowered yours?

Cheers,

Pete.

MK3 Sport Tourer TCE
Not lowered my Expression is completely standard.

The wider 195/50 tyres are significantly cheaper than the standard 185/55 but according to some forum members they will catch on the rear arch liners.

Read the earlier replies for more info, I have passengers in the back regularly so dunno if I want to risk safety by having the wider tyres :(

As edde says, I'd have a poke round to see if there's anything that's protruding into the area where the wheel rotates, and remove it or bash it out of the way! lol

Either that or go for something like F1s in 185/55/15 - currently around £50 from mytyres and awesome in the wet (I've got them on my valver :cool:)

Not lowered my Expression is completely standard.

The wider 195/50 tyres are significantly cheaper than the standard 185/55 but according to some forum members they will catch on the rear arch liners.

Read the earlier replies for more info, I have passengers in the back regularly so dunno if I want to risk safety by having the wider tyres :(
Its not a huge safety risk idealy remove the rear wheel you'll see what it catches on just cut it down a few mm
I've still not decided whether to go for the wider 195 tyres.

It's been brought up that the rear tyres will rub if I drive hard, but what about if I have passengers in the back? That will make it worse, right?

Dunno if I want to risk damaging the tyres/car just to make it look better :S
It just rubs away a few mm of the liner and then thats it.

MK3 Sport Tourer TCE
Thanks.

If I do decide to go for 195/50, would I need to replace all 4 at once?

Would changing the back two to 195/50 and leaving the front at 185/55 be unsafe? And would it look odd?

Also, does anyone have any pics of Mk2 Ph2 Non-Sport Clio's on 195/50/15 tyres? :)