ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

195 width or 205 width...?

wanting a 225or197
Hi,
Need a new set of tyres for my 2002 172, on standard wheels.
Whats the best size to go for.. the standard 195/45/16 or the slightly wider 205/45/16 as some people seem to have?
Its lowered on eibachs, if that makes any difference..

Any thoughts guys??

Cheers

Monaco Blue Mk2
I have 215's on 16" turinis, handles & grips etc superbly but I couldn't compare them to either of the other sizes as the wheels came with brand new GSD3's in 215. From a quick look I think 215's are cheaper than 205's which seem very expensives, think 195 are cheaper than all I think.

Megane225FF
I noticed a tiny bit more torque steer by upgrading from 195's to 205's, but noticed an improvement in cornering.. I'm off back down to 195's when these are worn - as they're cheaper & I'm tight.

SLK 350
I find theres definitely more tramlining on 205 PE2's riding poor quality roads. Also find that standing water can cause more aquaplaining than 195's me thinks.

That said theres more grip to be had generally, bit of a trade off tbh. IMO though I think 215's the wheel is over rubbered, and there comes a point where friction is negating the performance and handling of the car. Wider isn't always better, far from it. If the tyre is too wide for the rim, your only introducing more tyre roll.

If price was sufficient to dictate a significant saving on 195's then i'd take those.

wanting a 225or197
Thanks for for the replys, better see what the differences in prices are..
No boubt will be 195s.. as im thight too ;)

215s!! dont they look a bit odd on a standard rim?

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
215 does fit, its the widest you can go on 16x7 but unecessary. 205 or 195 is down to costs & personal preference, both are ok. if you opt for 215 check your offset as if your car is lowered you may get rubbing.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
i've has 195 205 1nd now 215 on my car, personally i've had the best grip with the 215's but its hampered my acceleration, so i would say 205's are ideal