ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 prices!

Clio 197
197 and 200 stands out a mile because of those wide arches. Nobody does that anymore. except m cars and amg.They squeeze the performance car into std shell.

I think they have bottomed out anyway then the covid supply vs demand kicked in.

Move up the budget a little and fiesta st comes into play with nice chassis turbo torque. Better mpg and tax. With plentiful availability. But sub 5k the only competition for 197 is 182.
The Fiesta is probably the right choice in most situations to be honest. Cracking cars!

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
A 197 has just been listed on FB at £2250

F1490C3D-317F-48D3-8609-95DA41E14896.png
9B3691A2-03A8-48DB-B842-F066CDDBEE9F.png

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Facebook does seem to be the place to buy cheap cars. I’d say the colour is the least desirable though.

I thought I found one locally the other day for even less and supposedly good gbox and relatively recent belts but I looked up the reg and it had a pretty significant mileage trimming a few years ago!

I guess the Wales lockdown issue will cause people probs and maybe even makes people panicked into selling stuff cheaper to entice buyers.

I have also been very put off by the reviews on this thread and reading other stuff about them. I was only reading earlier from someone selling a recently acquired one to get back into a 182 after regretting the move. The 182 isn’t exactly a quick car and when I read how the 197 feels slow compared to one I’m thinking do I really want to go there. I’m not really worried about MPG if you get the performance (have two imprezas) but people are seemingly getting similar MPG to my WRX from a 197!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
They do seem to divide opinion, that's for sure. I think you either get them or you don't. That being said, I love both the 1*2 and the 197/200, albeit for slightly different reasons. I did find that, when I initially drove a 197 (I had a quick go when my mate bought his), it did feel a less raw and exciting than my 172, and I was a little disappointed in a way. A few months later, I ended up borrowing it for a few days and, within no time at all, I'd gelled with it, and really started to appreciate it's strengths. It's a slightly different experience, but every bit as good. I do most of my miles in a van at the moment and, stepping out of that, the 197 feels like you're driving a touring car to be honest :ROFLMAO:

The fuel economy thing confuses me a bit to be honest. My 197 sits around 30mpg, and I'm not sure you can expect much more from a 10-15 year old car with a 2.0-litre normally-aspirated petrol engine. Yes a 1*2 is a bit better (I think my 172 used to sit in the middle 30s), but it's hardly night and day difference, and the improved refinement offsets it a good bit in my view. I think that sums them up really. They both have strengths and weaknesses, and feel quite different because of it. Either way, if anyone is that bothered about fuel economy, they should probably be looking at diesels, not hot hatches.

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
I currently have a 197 track car that belongs to a friend of mine. I am doing a bit of work on it prior to putting up for sale. It appears to of had all the weak points addressed. Gearbox all good with no crunches (feels lovely), Toyo manifold and hubs all good. I have just had all belts replaced by @renotech so timing is spot on and runs really well. It has the RS 200 17 x 7.5 wheels with new Nankang NS2R tyres, 20mm Hubcentric spacers all round, ktec coilovers, powerflex engine mounts, stainless steel exhaust system, RS 200 rear diffuser, RS rear spoiler amongst other things.

I must say it does look really smart. Even some of the neighbour's have commented on it! Very different imo to the 172/182. It is probably as quick, but just does not feel it. Handing is unbelievable and I love the sound of it. I do feel it needs a bit more power though due to the weight and I can see why people go the turbo route with them. Will get some better pictures once i have finished it, but here is one to give you an idea.

View attachment 1502758

Could you please send me more information? I may be interested in this!

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
How much does a Meglio conversion cost?

Is it me or are they really expensive when they come on the market? I’m not seeing the value what people are asking for 197’s with a 225 engine. Or am I seriously underestimating the cost to do?

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
What i miss about my 197 was the steering wheel,
it was nice and chunky, on my megane f1 the comparison was huge,
and now on my yellow 172 it is even more obvious
You can fit a 197 wheel to a 172. I've done it and it's not that hard at all.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
And for my 2 pence worth. I've got a 172 which i love. I've also driven a 197 which was a blast. Interior was a lot nicer, seats snd seating position better. It didn't have the fizzy urge of the 172, but i wouldn't say no to one.

Clio 197
How much does a Meglio conversion cost?

Is it me or are they really expensive when they come on the market? I’m not seeing the value what people are asking for 197’s with a 225 engine. Or am I seriously underestimating the cost to do?
Depends on if you're doing it yourself or after a drive-in drive-out conversion. The latter starts from £3500 iirc.

You're definitely right, most if not all the Meglios i've seen for sale are stupidly overpriced. They're not exactly rare nor the conversions that expensive. I guess their owners don't realise you won't get back what you put in to them.