ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2.0l Rebuild.....FAO Nick

Nick,

Just thought Id list what Im planning to due to the lump Im rebuilding if you wanted some insperation. Im starting with a 1.8l block as theyre easy to come by and if you wanted you could get away with not telling the DVLA youve changed capacity, just the engine number.

Get block machined so conrods clear insides. I can get this done cheap by a mate.
1.9l Diesel crank, knifedged, balanced and tuftrided
Use origanal conrods but get them balanced
ARP main bolts
Vanderval Main and Big End bearings and thrustwashers, I can get these cheap too.
Williams pistons from Renault.
Head ported and polished by Ben, hoping to fit F4R 35mm inlets with custom bronze guides.
Kent Cams Sports R cam, keeps the power band at a sensible level and gives good low down torgue, any wilder than this and peek power is way past 7000, which the crank wont like.
Kent Cam Vernier Pullys and belt
Supersprint SS mainfold
Magnex cat bypass and full SS exhaust
Prima acing Inlet Manifold
Jenvey Dynamics 45mm TBs
Emerald M3D EMS
Highpower Nitrous System

Dont think Ive missed anything.

Thats about it, when its all setup correctly I hope to see over 200bhp off gas and 300bhp on.

Horny!!!!

i swear, the F7Rs we ran in formula Renault sounded so so so so sexy purely casue of teh induction noise......they made about 220 and werent too heavily worked....never failed on me either....well, only once.....cause i accidentally touched the cutoof switch in the cockpit...DOH!

BMW 320d Sport

Simon that will be just mental once its built, I cant wait to see it! Anyway lets run through whats there:

Ill need to pay someone to do the machining.
I can get a Williams crank for £250.

I can use original conrods
Dont know how much the bolts and bearings etc will cost me.

I can get a set of Williams pistons for £100
Head ported and polished already by Hill Power but sticking to 30mm to keep cost down.

Got a very good price on Piper 285 cams which by my reckoning are slightly hotter than the Kent Cams Sports R cam( which I was seriously considering), and slightly cheaper than Kent, plus Ive already got Piper verniers, and like you I dont want to have it revving too high anyway so a wilder cam would be a waste.
Renault cambelt
Keeping my Renault exhaust manifold cos its matched to the head

Full ss exhaust incl decat I already have.

Sticking with normal inlet manifold for the moment. If I go for TBs itll be a complete Weber Alpha package which includes the management.

Exchange my Stage 2 16v program for Stage 2 Williams.

Highpower Nitrous System I got already.

My rough calculations say that I can get this all sorted (at least the parts for under a grand), how much labour Ill need and how much I can do myself, who knows?

another grand budget for!!!

its goes mental, im well over budget adn i aint finished and only got a few bits and bobs done outside!

try the lumenition barrel TBs as i had a look and the injectors are downstream so no fule collection probs on part throttle! and a little bit of clever machining will see part throttle responsiveness increase alot!

BMW 320d Sport

hehe yeah even the minimum 2.0 rebuild Id want to do looks like being at least £1500. So its onto Plan B now - which is gonna cost a hell of a lot more!

350z & 16v Maxi

Can anyone help, I am thinking about a 2.1.

I am not sure everything that needs to be undertaken. Obviously pistons, you need a 2.0 crank. What else do I need.

I wanted to keep my original 1.8 block and bore it out but have been advised that the 2.0 crank does not fit properly and you would need to do some grinding to make it fit? Is this true.

If I keep the 1.8 bottom end but change the crank can I still get the high revs notorious of the valver? I will get the Crank, fly and rods lightened and balanced.

Also does anyone know where I can get 2.1 pistons from except for Prima?

350z & 16v Maxi

Just spoke to Prima agian but this time it was the workshop and not the fecking sales guy and he was excellent. Basically you need a 2.0 bottom end, the pistons and get it bored.

You are talking about £1500 and if you already have a modified head with big valves you are lookinh at 220bhp. Not bad eh. And that is them fitting it.

BMW 320d Sport

220bhp from a normally aspirated 2.1 on standard induction sounds optimistic...last time I looked the 2.1 pistons were £600 for a set as well! When you say big valve modified head what are we talking about here?

As you probably noticed Ive been doing a lot of research into this sort of thing Colin, I reckon your best bet on the cheap is get a 2.0 bottom end complete and bolt it straight onto your 1.8 head. Rebuilding the 1.8 bottom to 2.0 spec is ok if youre a machinist and can find every single part you need on the cheap. Otherwise to do a proper job and build a strong engine its gonna be £1500 I reckon.

350z & 16v Maxi

When i say big valves i mean the 2.0 valves as they are 5mm bigger. 220 is just what the guy at Prima said. He was saying that if you basically do the 2.1 to a stage one willy you will get about 180 bhp and then having it balanced and the head modified, cams and verniers you can get about another 40. Still if i can get your head Nick i will stick to that then do the 2.1 later as dont have a lot of beer tokens just now.

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah theres all kind of ideas doing the rounds at the moment...maybe the 2.1 would work, who knows? I thought the 2.0 valves are only 32mm rather than 30mm. Its only 2mm bigger.