ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2.5k to spend

I don't
Hi guys,

I have around 2.5k to spend on a clio, I am not after a 172/182 or anything I want a 1.4 16v with low mileage I have seen all kinds of clio including a 182 1 lady owner, 45k for 2.5k so I think it will be a good price for one but cannot find many 1.4 16v, any advice?

I may also be interested in a diesel provided it is turbo'd..

320d
To be honest the non sports, especially the diesels can hold their value better than sports at the minute.

I'd personally be looking at a Clio dci, the non sport petrols aren't great really. The dci's are torquey, smooth and very economical.

Clio 197
To be honest the non sports, especially the diesels can hold their value better than sports at the minute.

I'd personally be looking at a Clio dci, the non sport petrols aren't great really. The dci's are torquey, smooth and very economical.
same here, if your not after a sport i would choose a dci

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Have to agree with the above, either get the 1.2, or a DCI, personally I would have a look at the DCI.

I don't
Thankyou for the info everyone, just had a look at the dci's on PH and there is very little and they are high mileage arrrghhh!

RS6 C7
^ its not quicker its slower i just looked on parkers... obviously with a remap it would be. Also i bet the dci would be a lot more to buy. you can get a decent 1.6 for £1600.

Black 172
You should really forgot all about the mileage and concentrate on condition! Low milers will not be more reliable! I'd rather buy a high miler vehicle that's done lots of motorway miles rather than a low miler that's just been driven around town, doing lots of stop starts and short journeys, which are bad for cars.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Buy on condition not milage.

Also I personally wouldn't touch a "1-lady owner" car with someone elses pole. It's either A- complete lie because they think people want that, or B- means it's a shed. The lady owners who know what mechanical sympathy, tyre wear bars, warming/cooling, journeys longer than 2.5 miles, more than 2500RPM, curbs, service intervals is/are etc etc etc are frankly in a tiny minority.

dCi all day long for me too.

People will hate me for this, but if your gonna be looking at small engined hatches or a diesel. Personally for that money i know you can get something that would likely outlast/perform and get better mpg out off than a clio. I'm Currently getting 70mpg + from my 1.3 cdti vauxhall corsa. As a run around i doubt there is much better around. cheap servicing/parts MPG is insane and it doesn't break. + it has almost 100hp and its £30 a YEAR to tax (yes thats a year for £30). Just my 2pence worth

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Also - have you incorporated insurance into your £2.5k finances ? I'm assuming you're young but you might be 50 for all I know so insurance is practically free ;) If you're 18 it might be the same price as the car ! :(

/your dad.

I don't
Na I will be paying for a 172 long after I buy it, I want an unabused car, fair play to you mate the corsa sounds like a good buy gotta say I do hate vauxhalls tho and 1 of them new corsa in good condition would not be 2.5k would it?, to the other guy: I am 24, had 2 accident over 5 years and I cannot get insured on anything! they want 1k just to ensure the 16v!

and to all no offence but I would not buy a high mileage.

(59) Clio Extreme
I got my 1.6 about a month ago now for 2800 but its practically had everything changed including belts the lot and has a price list from the garage for just over 1000 and runs perfect also i can get about 48mpg driving to and from my work.

Same engione comes in corsa C's mate, would pay around 2k for one on a 54ish plate. Dont get me wrong i hate vauxhalls to, god knows i work for them. And know that they arent fantastic, but they are just so cheap to repair and run. if you have to go french, try a 306hdi. They have the lowest performance to insurance group ratio of any car. (thats FACT). They do 50+mpg and have 100-110hp in a group 3 insurance. A mate of mine had drink driving on his license within the first year of driving. After the ban, he came back and inusred one of those for 1100 third party, thats at 19 with a drink drive charge and ban on his license :) Oh and anyone will tell you those 306 hdis do 150bhp without any worrie cheaply enough :)

and to all no offence but I would not buy a high mileage.

What is your reasons for this though?

The general public get all hung up on mileage when its service history and condition that should be the main factors.

I bought my second Clio in 2010 when it had 91,000 on the clock. Full service history though and the only thing that went wrong in the year I owned it was it needed a new thermostat housing. Got rid of it on 108,000 and it was still going strong.

I don't
Na, if I have an accident I want to live/walk so peugeot is out of the question tbh and I don wana modify the car really!, if I was a silly man I would get a 172 cup and mod it but I want a sensible reliable car so people see me and say "ah, that lad look sensible and reliable I bet he would be a great employee" see?

If you want that, buy yourself a german barge. Sorted :)

a4/passat/octavia/bora/320d etc etc List is endless, Can recomend an octavia fantastic cars for the money :p

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Get the 1.2. The speed difference is tiny and it'll be cheaper to run.

I was going to post this

Unless you go for a 1.6 Dynamique, wish I done this I few years ago but then you begin to think about 2.0 16v

I have a DCi just now, will be more expensive than a petrol 1.4 for example but get more for your money I guess, more fun and you can do worthful engine mods

£70 and i can get 130hp out of my 1.3 cdti. Thing is it's like polishing a turd, it's not really going to make any noticeable performance is it. Its stilla 1.3 diesel same as its still a clio diesel :O

RS6 C7
I got my 1.6 about a month ago now for 2800 but its practically had everything changed including belts the lot and has a price list from the garage for just over 1000 and runs perfect also i can get about 48mpg driving to and from my work.

How the f**k do you get 48mpg? i get late 30s if im lucky on a motorway run.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
How the f**k do you get 48mpg? i get late 30s if im lucky on a motorway run.

Heavy foot?

I went from Norwich to Colchester, Colchester to Dartford and Dartford to Norwich and I managed to get 39.9mpg. in my 182

RS6 C7
Heavy foot?

I went from Norwich to Colchester, Colchester to Dartford and Dartford to Norwich and I managed to get 39.9mpg. in my 182

Cruise at 75/80 May have a heavy foot. Suppose it depends on the traffic and down the m6 there is a lot ;)

Passat
I get about 36mpg in my 172 on a decent run. What's the point in owning a Sport if you're not gonna get your foot down!

DCI 80
Na, if I have an accident I want to live/walk so peugeot is out of the question tbh and I don wana modify the car really!, if I was a silly man I would get a 172 cup and mod it but I want a sensible reliable car so people see me and say "ah, that lad look sensible and reliable I bet he would be a great employee" see?

You cray cray :rasp:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive owned a 1.2 16v, DCi65, DCi 100 currently have a 1.6 16v and 172.

1.2 16vs are terrible on fuel, horribly slow to drive
DCi65 is a much better alterniative, just as slow but never feels it due to a nice low down punch (think of how a 1.2 shifts with 5.5k gearchanges, thats what a dci is like with 2.5k gear changes!)

1.6 16v is basically identical to the 1.4 16v but with 10hp and a wee bit more torque, id choose that over a 1.4 16v if it has to be a petrol but these are seriously seriously bad on fuel. my 172 is better on fuel and my mrs drives the 1.6 all week on the motorway taking it easy and i hammer the 172!

DCi 100 would be the choice for me, 1.6 16v has the legs on it until you get to 60mph the dci 100 matches it and then after 90 the dci 100 starts to catch and pass it. remapped they make mince meat of a 1.6 16v :)