ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2 year old pc needs new graphics card

Jap Shed
the spec -
CPUIntel Pentium 4 550J (3.4 GHz) MotherboardMS 7046 Memory1 gb DDR RAM Hard Drive250GB WD2500JD Western Digital 7200RPM SATA CD DriveArtec DHM-G48 16X DVD-ROM
Pioneer DVR-108DB DVDRW Video CardnVidia GeForce 6600 (256 MB) Sound CardRealtek High Definition Audio (Azalia) ModemModem/Analogue/Digital TV tuner CTX918_V2 Network CardVIA Rhine III VT6105 RemotePowerCinema remote control KeyboardAdvent wireless keyboard Mouse mAdvent wireless mouse
I want to play crysis and COD 4 with ease, and spend £100 -£180 ish
any ideas?

172 Cup
the spec -
CPUIntel Pentium 4 550J (3.4 GHz) MotherboardMS 7046 Memory1 gb DDR RAM Hard Drive250GB WD2500JD Western Digital 7200RPM SATA CD DriveArtec DHM-G48 16X DVD-ROM
Pioneer DVR-108DB DVDRW Video CardnVidia GeForce 6600 (256 MB) Sound CardRealtek High Definition Audio (Azalia) ModemModem/Analogue/Digital TV tuner CTX918_V2 Network CardVIA Rhine III VT6105 RemotePowerCinema remote control KeyboardAdvent wireless keyboard Mouse mAdvent wireless mouse
any ideas?

Think again..

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
did it ages ago - the one with the dragon flying over the flying ship 06 i think

You sure? Just short of 7,000 marks is 7900GTX territory - just shy of 10,000 if you have two of them in SLi. Unless you have done some mega overclocking on the 6600, I can't see how it got near 6,000 marks.

The MS7046 motherboard appears to support PC3200 memory as well - again, old hat stuff these days, m8.

It won't be just the gfx card you're looking to replace if you hope to play Crysis at full chat.

The constant upgrade that is PC Gaming..... ;)

D.

Chelsea tractor
Youll need a new mobo ram cpu ,graphics if you wana play cod 4 on a decent setting.

It depends how well it's been coded though, if it's like BF2142/BF2 (ie butchered) you're going to need to spend about £1K to fun it at a nice frame-rate... Whereas if it's coded well you should be able to run it reasonably smoothly on a P4 Northwood.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=589471

Arguably the best AGP card available, pretty cheap to be fair. Only other thing you'd need would be a 1gig stick of ram which cost FA nowadays

Last edited:
  Jap Shed
did it ages ago - the one with the dragon flying over the flying ship 06 i think

You sure? Just short of 7,000 marks is 7900GTX territory - just shy of 10,000 if you have two of them in SLi. Unless you have done some mega overclocking on the 6600, I can't see how it got near 6,000 marks.

The MS7046 motherboard appears to support PC3200 memory as well - again, old hat stuff these days, m8.

It won't be just the gfx card you're looking to replace if you hope to play Crysis at full chat.

D.
will run it now and check...

mk2 ph1
Thats a hell of a score for that setup dude if your right.

Anyway, if you want to run Crysis at its best then it has been designed to take advantage of Dx10 which means pretty much a whole new rig.

But, these days you can build something pretty good for around 1k, I know its a lot more than what you said you want to play but will keep you going for a while :)

Jap Shed

D.
got 1329............
must have got confused with another test.

GW RS200
the spec -
any ideas?

Think again..

He will just not on the highest settings...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

D.
got 1329............
must have got confused with another test.

No worries - at least you know now! I'd be pretty confident that the 6600 you're running is an AGP card and not a PCI-E one. Could be wrong though - if you say your system is 2 years old, it's around that time when mainstream PCs started to make the switch from AGP to PCI-E.

If you're feeling brave, take off the side of your case. The card that connects to your monitor is the graphics card. Usually, they print the slot type on the motherboard next to the slot, so you may see something like 'AGP' or 'PCI-E'. It should tell you, anyway...

D.