ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200 Cup brake pad options.

photo_ed

ClioSport Club Member
  200 Cup, 182 Trophy
It's getting to the point where I'm looking at new front discs and pads for my 2010 RS200 Cup, I've always previously just replaced with the Renault items, but have found them marginal at best even during fast road driving.

I'm thinking a change in pads might do the trick as fitting DS2500's on my 182 Trophy (along with fresh calipers it has to be noted) transformed the braking ability from the previous old, standard set-up.

So, I've narrowed my options for the 200 down to either the DS2500, or Pagid RSL29. Does anyone have any experience of running either of these, or have any suggestions for alternatives. The car is predominantly used on the road, but I've done the occasional track day in it, I can't see myself taking it on track again in the near future (I'm getting too precious about it in it's old age! 😆).

Look forward to hearing any opinions. Cheers, Ed.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
DS2500 are spot on, not s**t from cold and decent with temp too. Probably one of the best pads for road use with a bit of spirited driving thrown into the mix

M1144 and M1155 are marginally worse when cold (I have M1144 in my Megane atm). I can't comment on the Pagid pads but they're horrendously expensive

@frayz did you use the Pagid pads?

photo_ed

ClioSport Club Member
  200 Cup, 182 Trophy
DS2500 are spot on, not s**t from cold and decent with temp too. Probably one of the best pads for road use with a bit of spirited driving thrown into the mix

M1144 and M1155 are marginally worse when cold (I have M1144 in my Megane atm). I can't comment on the Pagid pads but they're horrendously expensive

Cheers! I've certainly enjoyed the DS2500's on the 182, so think that might be what I end up with for the Cup. I just looked at the price of the Pagid and nearly spat my coffee out! Not sure I can justify that sort of expense, I'm sure they were cheaper last time I looked! Crikey! 😅

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers! I've certainly enjoyed the DS2500's on the 182, so think that might be what I end up with for the Cup. I just looked at the price of the Pagid and nearly spat my coffee out! Not sure I can justify that sort of expense, I'm sure they were cheaper last time I looked! Crikey! 😅
Yeah they're double the price of DS2500

They're even more expensive than DS1.11. I'm fairly certain my whole Brembo setup for my 172 was cheaper than just those pads🤣

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
I ran 2500's for a while, but it was only once i started pushing on a bit more on track, that they glazed the s**t out of my discs.
I then went to 3000's which were immense in comparison, but also glazed my discs.

I'm a big fan of M1144/55, and prefer them over them Ferodo pads.

photo_ed

ClioSport Club Member
  200 Cup, 182 Trophy
I ran 2500's for a while, but it was only once i started pushing on a bit more on track, that they glazed the s**t out of my discs.
I then went to 3000's which were immense in comparison, but also glazed my discs.

I'm a big fan of M1144/55, and prefer them over them Ferodo pads.
Cheers! The Mintex are a good shout, I'd forgotten about those for the Clio, despite looking at some for our classic Mini a while ago!

photo_ed

ClioSport Club Member
  200 Cup, 182 Trophy
The Pagid RS29 we found was good from cold, consistent and relatively kind to disks. Wouldnt go near the DS2500 if going on track (IMO)
Thanks for your reply. I think I remember @frayz extolling the virtues of the Pagid a while ago which put them on my radar. I just think the pricing now is a bit prohibitive for me to be honest. I doubt I'll be taking the car on track anytime soon, so the focus is on a good fast road pad I think.

Clio RS 200
I ran DS2500s on my Clio 200 for fast road and they were good, but not very good when pushed on track as their initial bite doesn't compare to better pads. I have got a set of DS1.11s at the moment, but they are more for track than fast road. They have a good bite.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member

Yes mate i always use RS29s however this last set I've gone up to the RSL2 for a bit more bite. I've run RSL29s in all my cars from my 600bhp Impreza, my MIni GP and the Cayman uses them too. I know they're a bit dearer but last 2 to 3x longer than everything else and you get what you pay for imo. Never had any luck with DS2500s, i know others like them but i think they're awful. They smear the discs, fade easily on the road are barely different to an OE pad IMO.
But that's just my experience of them. Every time i try a different pad away from a Pagid im left disappointed and wondering why i bother wasting money attempting a cheaper item. So end up back with Pagid lol.

Currently the Clio has RSL2 up front and RS4-2 on the rear. Stops on a dime with zero fade or issues. Bit squealy the RSL2 over the 29, but i put up with it. I'll probably go back to 29s next time. :)

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
PBS are also worth a look.

Not amazing from cold but soon warm up enough to provide decent stopping power for a daily and will stand up to fast road use.

Better than DS2500's IMO.

406 V6, Race Buggy
1144's are always great as a fast road pad but they won't cope with long track sessions, not a big fan of 2500's, the Pagids will be great although last time I tried them they are a little wooden the first few stops in the cold.
I'll throw them out here but Carbotech XP8/10 both are comparable to the Pagids but I find they wear even less and work even better cold (even in stream and water crossings on the buggy) - at the expense of a bit more dust and maybe a touch less initial bite (but then it's ceramic and it wipes off for the most part)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I use brembo HC discs, Mintex 1144s and from cold in terms of a road pad they are absolutely fine, and with a bit of heat in them they are fantastic!

Ive never done any track days on them but for fast road work they are brilliant.

photo_ed

ClioSport Club Member
  200 Cup, 182 Trophy
Thanks for all the replies folks! Much appreciated.

It's looking like the Mintex 1144's might be the most suitable for my requirements, and it would be a good opportunity to compare them with the DS2500's which I run on the 182.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I used to run the Mintex 1155 as a daily pad and for track. Absolutely fantastic pads, as long as you can put up with the bad squealing from cold.
I loved the squeal back in the day, personally..

Clio 197,with megan'
I run a road/ track R26, have tried most pads over the years. For me Winmax W5 or DS1.11. The winmax have less brake dust, and seem to last longer, stops well from cold/hot, never faded on track, just remember, get on the brakes, get off them, don't linger.