ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2017 clio 1.2 sooooo slow

Clio
As title says bought my daughter a 2017 1.2 clio but God it's soooo slow. It's been a while I sat in a clio as I used to have a highly modded 172 turbo back in the max power days lol. I also had a 2001 1.2 clio diet engine as a run around when I was building the 172 but from what I remember that car was alot faster that this 2017 one not top end speed but up tru the gears this newer one nearly needs dropped into 1st to go up a steep hill it's that bad. There's no lights and recently serviced and tiks over perfect is it just these newer cars they have no ooomf anymore or is there some common issues I don't know about. Any help would be grateful thanks

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
1.2 Clios were slow in 1994. With the added weight of the new ones I’d imagine they’re almost pedestrian.

*edit - Thinking about it - my mother in law has a 1.2 TCE so 100bhp? Thing is dangerously slow and the gear stick doesn’t feel like there’s anything attached to the other end of it. Like fishing for porridge. Terrible car.

photo_ed

ClioSport Club Member
  200 Cup, 182 Trophy
If it's the 75hp model, it'll be down to the power / weight ratio, from memory the mk4 Clio's weight in at around 1100kgs. So a rough power / weight ration of 63bhp/tonne. It's going to feel pretty slow at that.

(To put this into context and illustrate just how heavy modern cars have become, our 1965 Morris Mini Cooper has a power/weight of around 110 bhp/tonne.)

Clio 3 1.2 Extreme
Just checked and the 1.2 75 bhp Clio 3 is surprisingly a few pounds heavier than the same engine Clio 4. However, the Clio 4 has longer gearing, so will certainly seem slower than the older models. The upside of course is that it is more refined at motorway speeds. At the motorway speed limit, the Clio 3 with its shorter gearing is just getting towards its max torque output, so again feels slightly more responsive. Throw in the better refinement of the Clio 4, and all these factors will make the car seem a bit slower than it really is when compared with the older car (human perception is a strange old thing!).

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
My old dear has a clio 4 with the 1.2 16v, its really slow but actually drives really nice! 140k miles on it too. I recon i could fit under the bonnet and get it closed and im fat. - They drive much nicer than the early 3 cylinder 900cc Junk.
1.2 Clios were slow in 1994. With the added weight of the new ones I’d imagine they’re almost pedestrian.

*edit - Thinking about it - my mother in law has a 1.2 TCE so 100bhp? Thing is dangerously slow and the gear stick doesn’t feel like there’s anything attached to the other end of it. Like fishing for porridge. Terrible car.
Check for boost leaks! they usually go quite well!

Clio
The old 1.2 diet engine in the 2001 run around I have was lethal quick compared to this mk4 yes they are bigger but couldn't be that heavier. There's a mountain road we use to go to the in-laws I was driving it yesterday and dam I nearly had to ram it into 1st to go up round it was that bad from what I remember the older clio would have sailed up and over it with ease yeah as someone said the gear ratios are changed also that affects that too. Plus now I know why there's no 6th gear lol it would kill it lol

Clio
1000020633.jpg