ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2018 Clio RS 220 Trophy Gearbox Issue

Clio RS 220 Trophy
Hi everyone,

New to this forum, and I’ve been browsing the threads on here but can’t seem to find one exactly the same as mine.

I drive a 2018 Clio RS 220 trophy. I’ve just hit 90k miles and in the last couple of thousand miles I’ve had some gearbox issues. I’d say for the last 20 or 30k miles I’ve been hearing a slightly laboured noise from the engine area when the car was changing from 1st to 2nd gear, or 3rd to 4th gear. But recently I had the car lose gears and display the ‘check auto gearbox’ message. The car will then only be able to select 1st, 3rd and 5th gear whether it’s in automatic or manual. Still driveable but obviously quite clunky when it comes to junctions and a nightmare/really quite dangerous when on hills.

Worth pointing out that when I restart the car I can drive with all the gears again, but I can hear the laboured noise coming from the engine area when changing into even gears. I also don’t have much/if any torque or power when in those even gears, and if I put my foot down on the accelerator it will quickly change into an odd gear and then I’ll get the ‘check auto gearbox’ message and lose use of the even gears until the car is restarted again.

I’ve taken it to a dealer and they’ve computer tested and codes have suggested a clutch/torque fault.

Their solution is for me to have a software update which will take an hour’s labour but they aren’t sure it will fix the issue, the the next step would be to get a new gearbox which will cost several thousand pounds which I’m honestly not able to pay right now.

I’m taking my car to a garage in the next week to get the auto transmission oil and filter changed as I haven’t done that since I owned the car (possibly another reason why I’m having issues), but can anyone suggest if a software update is likely to fix my troubles or am I realistically looking at having to get a new gearbox? 90k seems too young to be having to change it, but I can’t say I have that much experience or knowledge with this sort of thing.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
hello and welcome to CS!

First of all you are not alone! I had the same issue about 100,000 miles ago and was one of the very first to come across it.

First thing (and cheapest option) is to change the battery as these monsters are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations. If that doesn’t solve your issue then it’ll be needing a new transmission control module which is probably going to be about a grand all in at a guess.

I changed my TCM at 120k and it’s been ok since and is now knocking on 198k so any weird gear change issues I’m putting down to worn clutches now 😂

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
As above. @Sash knows this model more than most with her 324875782364 miles experience

If you're local to Derby, or can get the car there, the only person that I'd be taking mine to (and do) is Mick at Diamond motors. Sounds like TCM or clutch to be honest. TCM is £1200 or so, clutch is just over £2k all in.