ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3 trying to charge me for an in warranty phone repair

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
My HTC Desire was not working correctly, it kept randomly restarting and would not get phone signal in an area with good signal strength usually, I rang the 3 technical support they went through their basic stuff, that didn't fix it, they said if i upgraded my phone i could then send my old one back and have a new one to use as well (i was nearing the end of my contract).

So the day my new phone turned up i headed straight to the 3 store to send the Desire back. They were more than happy to send it back, they performed a quick check of the phone to check it was ok and then sent it off.

A few days later i received a letter saying that i had damaged the phone and they were unable to perform an in warranty repair and i would either be charged an administration fee or a repair fee both of around £30. I phoned the repair centre and they told me that one of the void stickers had been removed. I had not done this, it was not noticed in the 3 store either, the only option i had was to escalate the case to the complaints team who proved to be useless. They escalated it to the escalated complaints team who happened to phone me whilst i was in the shower on two different occasions, I phoned the 3 technical support number to try and find out what the previous 2 phone calls were about and they said that they had decided the only thing they would do was to waiver £10 from the repair cost, so my HTC Desire that was inside its warranty period and should have of been eligible for a free repair was going to cost me £20, i said i was unhappy and wanted the escalated complaints team to call me back.

The next thing i hear is from the 3 store i sent my phone too, and that was to say my phone is back and it wasn't repaired and you are being charged a £30 admin fee for this. I asked they guy in the store to check for a void sticker, he didn't have a clue what one was, I had to explain where it was and eventually he found it but it looked like someone had put a screwdriver though it as it was one of the void stickers that covers a screw on the inside of the back cover. He said it looked as if someone had put a screwdriver through it, to me this must have been the repair centre as i haven't been near my phone with a screwdriver. The only other possibility is that the last time it was sent back for repair the void sticker was not replaced.

Now i am waiting for another call back from the escalated complaints team.

Now obviously i don't want to pay any money for a repair that should have been free but i expect 3 wont believe me when i say that i didn't remove the sticker. I have no idea how to approach this as 3 clearly want to charge me for this repair, what should i do?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I didn't read all the post, but it's well published that 3 are crap.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I had trouble with 3 about 8 years ago. I had a 12 month contract phone with them that literally never had signal. It was a paper weight that was circa £30 a month. I left them as soon as my contract was up, very poor network In my experience.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
So i managed to win by saying i wanted a deadlock letter so i could get the communications ombudsman involved, as soon as i mentioned that they said the would waive the admin fee.

The 3 store put a void sticker on my phone aswell so i have booked it in for repair at HTC so i will end up with a fully working phone.