ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice - Looking to buy a RB 182

RyanS182

ClioSport Club Member
  RB Clio 200
Afternoon all

Since my dad had a brand new RB182 back in 2004 I’ve always had a soft spot for them. First car I owned back when I was 19 was a RB 200 and I absolutely loved it. Got rid for a mk7 Golf R when they’d just released as the deals they were kicking out were far too good not to. After that I went for an F80 M3 (in Yas Blue obviously!) which was an incredible motor but then came the kids… A few SUV’s later I’ve decided to commit a sin and placed an order for an electric car.

Partner uses the car every day I rarely drive to be honest but now that I’ve gone as low as I can the time is finally right for me to start looking for a 182 in the new year. There’s just one problem..

WHERE ARE THEY!?

Barely anything reasonable kicking about on autotrader, pistonheads, eBay etc. Was a nice LY182 on AT but £10k is a stretch. Came back to look on the classifieds and there’s nothing there either. Have I missed my chance or is there any other used/classic sites I’ll have better luck with?

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I assume you’re wanting an unmolested one?

A few pop up every now and then but you’ve really got to watch what you’re buying. Underbody corrosion is an issue now. Some genuine parts are NLA, some aftermarket parts are NLA. So be prepared to restore some second hand parts.

I bought mine 2 years ago and it was the best one out of 3 that I went to see. I’ve just spent around £3,000 getting it near perfect, and even then there are still some things I need to do. You’d be amazed how many parts are missing from even the most standard of cars.

I have a restoration thread on here so have a look so you know what you’re getting into.

If you’re not bothered about condition, then there are a few turds kicking about which you might get a few years out of.

Good luck in your search and if you want to ask any questions, drop me a message.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Afternoon all

Since my dad had a brand new RB182 back in 2004 I’ve always had a soft spot for them. First car I owned back when I was 19 was a RB 200 and I absolutely loved it. Got rid for a mk7 Golf R when they’d just released as the deals they were kicking out were far too good not to. After that I went for an F80 M3 (in Yas Blue obviously!) which was an incredible motor but then came the kids… A few SUV’s later I’ve decided to commit a sin and placed an order for an electric car.

Partner uses the car every day I rarely drive to be honest but now that I’ve gone as low as I can the time is finally right for me to start looking for a 182 in the new year. There’s just one problem..

WHERE ARE THEY!?

Barely anything reasonable kicking about on autotrader, pistonheads, eBay etc. Was a nice LY182 on AT but £10k is a stretch. Came back to look on the classifieds and there’s nothing there either. Have I missed my chance or is there any other used/classic sites I’ll have better luck with?

I was looking for ages.

Not easy to find one that's not a complete s**t box now. Colour wise, I am told there was less rb than Trophy's, which may explain why they are hard to come by.

The right car will pop up, people generally don't sell this time of year.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I assume you’re wanting an unmolested one?

A few pop up every now and then but you’ve really got to watch what you’re buying. Underbody corrosion is an issue now. Some genuine parts are NLA, some aftermarket parts are NLA. So be prepared to restore some second hand parts.

I bought mine 2 years ago and it was the best one out of 3 that I went to see. I’ve just spent around £3,000 getting it near perfect, and even then there are still some things I need to do. You’d be amazed how many parts are missing from even the most standard of cars.

I have a restoration thread on here so have a look so you know what you’re getting into.

If you’re not bothered about condition, then there are a few turds kicking about which you might get a few years out of.

Good luck in your search and if you want to ask any questions, drop me a message.

Tis why I was on the fence about messing with mine, it's mint and the underside is as well. But regardless I am keeping all the stock bits and it's getting looked after so what the hell I guess.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I was looking for ages.

Not easy to find one that's not a complete s**t box now. Colour wise, I am told there was less rb than Trophy's, which may explain why they are hard to come by.

The right car will pop up, people generally don't sell this time of year.
This 👆🏻

I started looking in 2019 and it took 2 years to find the right one.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Tis why I was on the fence about messing with mine, it's mint and the underside is as well. But regardless I am keeping all the stock bits and it's getting looked after so what the hell I guess.
Yeah, just don’t do what I did and throw out old parts which I ended up buying back for 10 times as much 🤦🏻‍♂️

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
It's just a waiting game, keep an eye on the usual places, I found mine on car and classic funnily enough. Was a well looked after car despite the mileage, but still needed some money spending to get it to a standard I'm happy with and not quite there yet either.
What was the reg of your Dad's one? Might still be kicking around, you never know.

RyanS182

ClioSport Club Member
  RB Clio 200
It's just a waiting game, keep an eye on the usual places, I found mine on car and classic funnily enough. Was a well looked after car despite the mileage, but still needed some money spending to get it to a standard I'm happy with and not quite there yet either.
What was the reg of your Dad's one? Might still be kicking around, you never know.

Thanks for the replies all. Definitely don’t want a bag of shite on the cheap as I’m not handy with cars so I’m limited to how much I can do myself but I suppose it could offer me the opportunity to learn!

But also don’t want shell out crazy money just to get my hands on one - some of the prices I’ve seen are crackers, especially the LY one and a few 200s!

Funnily enough it is still kicking about and the last I knew the bloke lives about half a mile from my parents! ND54 HFM I think it is.

koksracing

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Hi ya, I have a very good completely standard rb182 cup. I spent ages looking for one. I bought it last year and daily’d it for a while but it was too nice for that so bought a 220bhp trophy instead.

It’s in my mates garage for the last few months as I don’t have time to use it. Drop me a message if you are interested and after Christmas when I have more time, I will happily provide more details.

Thanks

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_9514.jpeg
    IMG_9514.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 73

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup

In terms of numbers, there was something like 450 RB cups, and 450 non-cups. So around 900 total I believe. Not massive numbers, compared to the other colours but probably the largest numbers in terms of the sort after colours.

They made 500 Trophy's for the UK market in comparison. I think people do tend to overstate the rarity though when selling them, as they choose to only include either cup or non cup versions.

Definitely the best colour for a 182 for me though. I was lucky enough to buy mine for £2400 in around 2018. I'd originally set out looking for a silver 182 for around £1500 (as that was roughly what they were going for back then), but the RB cup popped up for sale locally, it already had TD PR 1.2, AD08R tyres, and Recaro Evo 8 seats, so seemed like a massive bargain given i wasn't all these things anyway.

Kept it for 3 years in the end by far my longest Clio ownership (had 9 182's in 10 years) and spent a fortune on it. Ended up selling for £5750 though, so all in all was probably free motoring in the end.

Always open threads on here relating to RB's in the hope of seeing it again. Mine was GL05NHZ, i'd be tempted to buy it back at some point, but not sure if i could justify the price tag i sold it for.

Picture of mine is around 2021
20190314_134157.jpg

koksracing

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Here is mine which I have just taken out of storage and will get mot’d and serviced then put up for sale around late Jan.

And will do a proper advert in the for sale section. Thanks Pete

Attachments

• IMG_5804.jpeg
    IMG_5804.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3125.jpeg
    IMG_3125.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5806.jpeg
    IMG_5806.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5807.jpeg
    IMG_5807.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5802.jpeg
    IMG_5802.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5803.jpeg
    IMG_5803.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5805.jpeg
    IMG_5805.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5806.jpeg
    IMG_5806.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5807.jpeg
    IMG_5807.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5804.jpeg
    IMG_5804.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 64

koksracing

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
It’s all mot’d now, and passed with zero advisories. Will get it cleaned and an advert prepared in a couple of weeks

koksracing

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
How much you putting it up for mate
That is a good question. The market doesn’t seem that strong anymore. I would like £5k for it but suspect it will be somewhere in the £4’s for it to sell.

I ideally want to sell it to someone who will use it, and I can’t be doing with the Facebook wasters. So will advertise it here and a few other closed groups and go from there.

Thanks

Pete

koksracing

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
It’s done 100,662 miles. Fully standard beyond the exhaust and radio. Have the original radio.

Lots of service history including the original sale receipt from Renault west London. Cambelt done in 2021 or 2022! Tyres are Michelin pilot sport 3’s. Very clean inside and out.

Other than that it’s a rb182 cup.

RyanS182

ClioSport Club Member
  RB Clio 200
Congrats. It looked like a nice car. Any plans for it?

It’s in great condition both the bodywork and interior, a few popped up closer to home since I posted originally but after chatting on here I got good vibes about the one I bought straight away. Looks like it’s been looked after and pretty much still a standard car which leads me onto my plans, I’m torn for that reason!

Won’t be anything major at the minute just the usual to freshen a few things up ie new front wipers, blank the current rear wiper delete, headlight restoration, re-spray grille and fog surrounds etc while I decide what to do with it.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
It’s in great condition both the bodywork and interior, a few popped up closer to home since I posted originally but after chatting on here I got good vibes about the one I bought straight away. Looks like it’s been looked after and pretty much still a standard car which leads me onto my plans, I’m torn for that reason!

Won’t be anything major at the minute just the usual to freshen a few things up ie new front wipers, blank the current rear wiper delete, headlight restoration, re-spray grille and fog surrounds etc while I decide what to do with it.
Sounds good. Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. TIP. If you remove any original parts, don't throw them in the skip.

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
A lot of people think they can get a rough one cheap and and get the bits of eBay but I haven’t seen an honest rough Clio sport for a long time and the parts on eBay are getting more expensive. For example some straight forward original badges will cost you £50 used if you’re lucky enough to find them.

ex-Chinese Dave

ClioSport Club Member
I just missed out on Koksracing's 182 as I was out of the UK. It looks great.

Still looking for a 182 Cup (or Cup packed) or a 172 Cup........