ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3d Scanning?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Anyone do any 3d scanning for work or fun?

Been looking at this, it's £400 to buy

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
There is actually a 3D app you can get on your phone. Money comes in the software required to utilise said data, but you can always get the software for free....
Scann3d is what it's called used alongside 3Ds maxx. Depends what you're needing it for though...

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I want to be able to scan car pedals and get the perfect shape.

Then import into autocad to then draw a pedal cover to fit it

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I personally don't think it's worth the investment when you can easily do that with a set of vernier calipers and a pad of paper

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I personally don't think it's worth the investment when you can easily do that with a set of vernier calipers and a pad of paper
Which is what I currently do, but you can never get the perfect shape and size

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I work with the professional stuff.
Don't waste your money on those scanners a decent slr camera and some software like Agisoft or Capturing reality would be better for general stuff.

For car pedals you need the proper kit anyway so your talking £££££, photogrammetry on the whole hates anything metal/mechanical.

A friend used to share his unit with a laser scanning company, they did my Lotus for a laugh. Was awesome seeing it all rendered and modelled.

Their kit was properly serious though, they got sent stuff from all over Europe to scan, including train parts on pallets. Mental, really.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Seems like alot of faffing about to me . I just made a carboard template from the old pedals , cut some some new ones out from some 2.5mm aluminium sheet , drilled the holes and pop rivetted them on . Cost me a couple of quid :smile:
qodWh3h.jpg

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I remember many years back seeing something called 'DAVID' which was a 3d scanning package, using a background template, webcam and a laser level.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
thanks for the replies.

I'm not talking about making like one set of pedals here, I currently do pedals for Coris & Astra VXR's, Impreza's, Clio's, Megane's, TT's, ford RS & ST. I have plans to add another 10 models very shortly.

my current method works, as its how I got all my current designs. but its not perfect.

all I'm after is a way of capturing outline/shape, accurate to say 1mm.