ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3rd gear.

Listerine & Poledo
As sounds fairly typical, my 172 can be a bit tricky to get into third, mostly when cold.

Asked when trans. oil gets changed in service schedule at my local Renault, they say it never gets changed and suggested it may equally just be the linkages.

The oil theory stacks up with what is baing said on forum, but linkages?

Any thoughts? And roughly how much does a trans. oil change cost?

Listerine & Poledo
ah.

fourth to third any better? it's not like I've been even giving the car a hard life either, it has even been stood for weeks at a time

Listerine & Poledo
it's not like it's refusing third, but when cold it prefers to be rev-matched on down-changes.

synhros sound like a gearbox-out job?

catchy synchros is a rebuild/new box job, really. it's (seemingly) not all that uncommon though. change the oil for a 75/80 GL5 spec to start with, to see if that helps at all. it's very easy to do DIY, so a mechanic won't charge a deal if you can't yourself.

3l good fluid - about £30; half an hour to change. there's only the one balljointed steady rod next to the selector shaft. think engine mounts are more likely to be of an issue if powerplant movement's possibly causing problems.

Ive lived with mine now for about 3months. Needs doing but as i was told if your gentle it will last a while. So im just careful for now.

Unitl the end of next month then comes the hunt of a new box :)

Listerine & Poledo
thanks henry.

engine mounts? that's nearly as bad a job as gearbox isn't it?

oil change it is, with a peek at the links. if that doesn't help matters, trade-in time

Last edited:
Changed my oil 3 times. Felt good for abit, but was probably in the mind as it didnt go away. The most positive thing i did was fit a dog bone mount kit. Felt abit better after that.

engine mounts? that's nearly as bad a job as gearbox isn't it?

parts/labour-wise, no-where near as big a job as the gearbox itself. it's worth considering before spending big money/throwing in the towel, anyway. could also enquire about clutch adjustment; not heard that mentioned as a factor though

Last edited: