ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Misfire, low compression cylinder 1 (Clio 200 CUP)

11' RS 200 Clio CUP
Hi all, I am a year into clio ownership, my car has been running rough and smelling, sometimes not accelerating when pressed on the pedal, other times feeling sluggish.

I had my car in with a mechanic to change the oil filter (I didn't want to mess around removing the front bumper), and diagnose why it was running poor.
Prior to this I informed him that I had replaced the coil pencils and spark plugs with new renault ones.

Heres what the mechanic noted:

●The oil came out thick and black.

●There was a misfire code when he plugged in the scanner.

●The cars rough idle would stabilise after being left to warm up a bit.

He said he would compression test it after being stood overnight, here is what he found out.

Cylinder 1 @ cold (120psi) @ warm 140
Cylinder 2 @ cold (165psi)
Cylinder 3 @ cold (160psi)
Cylinder 4 @ cold (165psi)

The mechanic said that cylinder 1 was very low on compression and barely met the minimum when warmed up, this suggested I would need an engine rebuild, possibly piston rings or valve sticking.

After chatting with a friend who owns a track spec version he suggested that the dephaser can cause low compression in 1 cylinder and it might be the problem but my mechanic disagrees, he says that would effect all cylinders not just one.

Since he has replaced the oil he put an oil thickener in which should help for the time being until I decide to have the engine rebuild, it now smells more

What is anyone's opinion here...