ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

400GB Extrenal HDD Bargain @ £110?

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
all hail roy, king of the nerds/geeks/p**n saddos!

Music, movies, trailers, TV shows. It soon adds up ;)

HD movies are over 10GB each, some are 15GB. Infact Gladiator HD is 22GB. Do the math...

Oh a fellow a.b.hdtv'er ;) I'm the one who synched the DTS track to that gladiator release, did you get it? HD + DTS = awesome. I have 1.5TB and I'm nearly out!!

^^Took forever to join all the ts files. I never watched it as I had to delete it to free up some space.

c.22GB for one movie is getting a bit harsh ;)

Might go out and get a couple of those 400GB Freecom puppies tomorrow. 800GB £240 is pretty good value per GB and should last a while :D

dk

911 GTS Cab
i have to agree with Roy on the hard drive size matter, its all about marketing and it gets a bit complicated.

i am tempted by these hdd's but feel i would have to buy 2 to keep one as a backup as i would hate to lose 400gb of stuff.

And i'm not sure what was meant by USB drives being slow and staying with SATA, USB transfers at 480Mbps so its not the USB that is slow, the actual drive is always the slowest element.

A red missile
Nice one Roy, walked into pc world this afternoon laid down 360 quid and im now packing and extra 1.2TB of external storage.

While i was there i managed to bag a managers special

Dual core P4 @ 3.4Ghz
Dual Layer DVD writer
500Gb Hard drive (2x250Gb)
Ge Force 7300 SE with 512Mb - not sure if thats cak or not TBH
1Gb DDR2 Memory
Windows Media Centre

£325 - read it and weep! if they'd have had anymore i'd have bought them buggers as well.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Just got the Silver Freecom from play for 79.99 delivered :) Went up to 89.99 but seems a spot on drive

Paul

dk

911 GTS Cab
Nice one Roy, walked into pc world this afternoon laid down 360 quid and im now packing and extra 1.2TB of external storage.

Dual core P4 @ 3.4Ghz
Dual Layer DVD writer
1Gb DDR2 Memory
Windows Media Centre

£325 - read it and weep! if they'd have had anymore i'd have bought them buggers as well.
thats a very good buy, my dad got one very similar to that about 6 months ago but just with the 3ghz DC processor (fastest at the time i think) and a 19" TFT for £499.

They do have some great bargains in PC World when they are trying to get of something.

Dual core P4 @ 3.4Ghz
Dual Layer DVD writer
1Gb DDR2 Memory
Windows Media Centre

Nice work, I haven't bothered yet but probably will at some point this week.

Great thing about the Freecom boxes is the PSU is built into the plug with a single trailing lead to the drive. None of this power brick nonsense.

A red missile
Indeed the all in one power supply is way better, but far cooler is the way it lights up in blue on the front silver panel saying 400GB.

Top work on finding that one!

Just out of curiosity is a GE Force 7300 SE a pile of poo or not? Havent really had chance to put Quake 4 on there and try it yet.

Oh dear, compared to the 6800 Ultra in my other PC it is poo. just checked the performance figures on NVidias website, ok then peeps whats the top of the pile PCI Express graphics card then?

Light blue touch paper and retire at least 25meters :)

Last edited:
  Revels Mum & Sister
The 7300 is a bit w**k IMO. But thats what they do on these systems to cut cost and its a large bottleneck.

BUT for £359 thats a smallllllllllllllllll bargain just for the other components!

I think I may get one of these 400GB jobbers

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Looks like a good deal, think I might have to get one so I can back up my pc!

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Was just about to buy this yesterday, when i realised it had a 2mb buffer size, compared to a Novatech one with was £5 more with a 16mb buffer.. is 2mb taht bad?

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
So whats the read/write speed like on these external drives?

Are they as fast as say sata

External drives aren't about performance, they're about mass storage. I doubt the buffer size is going to matter too much when you're just shifting the latest episode of LOST over. It's not like they are constantly reading/writing and shifting game textures into memory etc. The thing I like about the Freecom boxes is that they look the shizzle, and the PSU solution if very neat :)

Well. I'm just off to see if my nearest PC World has these in stock, as my old 400GB external has just failed, and taken everything with it. To say I'm pissed is s small understatement.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
^^^^ - "External" and "fail" just go hand in hand. I'd only use them if there was feck all of importance on there. For truly important stuff that you want to keep, externals are just madness - regardless of cost.

D.

^^^^ - "External" and "fail" just go hand in hand. I'd only use them if there was feck all of importance on there. For truly important stuff that you want to keep, externals are just madness - regardless of cost.

D.

On one level I agree. Externals never enjoy the same motion stability as those mounted in a PC case. On another level I disagree. I've seen drives fail regardless of their mounting. The onl failsafe is a costly RAID setup where you lose a lot of space in favour of recovery, and you can't really do that with externals. The best bet is proper internal RAID setup, but it's not cheap when you want to store terabytes of data safely. I knew the risks and I took them. Thankfully I only lost 372GB of p**n.