ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

6X9 or Sub?

Clio 1.2 16V
Wondering what the positives and negatives of having a 6x9 or sub? Please can you give me some structured criticism, and not just 'don't get 6x9 because they are s**t' <(what I'm expecting :p) !!! All help appreciated!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
16x9 will give you better mids+top low ends, but will not give you good bass. if you want good bass, then sub + amp required.

Clio 1.2 16V
Cheers, i want bass, but i don't want it to be really boomy so you can easily hear it from outside the car, does a different size of sub make a difference to this?

Ph1 172 (titanium)
10inch sub will produce punchier tight basslines.
15inch+ is for you big rattley bass.
12 good in between.

Polo + Micra
i'd say the box has much greater influence on sound.

sealed gives tight bass

vented gives more boomy bass

bandpass gives a bit of both

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
6x9s will make you look like a bellend... Which is why I used to hide mine under a scarf lol.

they sounded much better than standard but my god they were embarrassing when on show

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Why not? They do look s**t, as do subs and big audio builds. They sound awesome but look s**t

its the same stigma as saxos, awesome little cars, but bellend a have got hold of them and given them a bad name

WRX
So 6 x 9 s are no different to any other big speaker. I had some £40 Fusions on my rear shelf, couldn't care what anyone else thought. They did exactly what I wanted and added some punch to my sound, whilst still leaving a useable boot.

Polo + Micra
it's more the position i have a problem with

if you could get 6x9 comps in the front then that would be epic

Listerine & Poledo
Cheers, i want bass, but i don't want it to be really boomy so you can easily hear it from outside the car

Having and eating your cake there?

Make noise inside a clio and it'll be heard outside of it. Not a great deal you can do about it I'm afraid.

But, luckily for you, the volume control works in two directions!

A stealth-shelf install of 6x9 would be fine. Sure tehy may not be "ermahgerd VPL mega DB's" in quality, but unless you're about to drop about 2k in amps, headunit and calibration, you wont notice it a jot. Maybe find a way of turning the treble down on the rear speakers if you can

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Why not? They do look s**t, as do subs and big audio builds. They sound awesome but look s**t

its the same stigma as saxos, awesome little cars, but bellend a have got hold of them and given them a bad name

they don't look s**t if you do it right. they look s**t when you put them in the OE parcel shelf without bracing etc. stealth installs + custom fits look fine imo

Also if the OP wants just a bit more bass but for it not to be too loud, try one of those new slim under the seat subs.

I've got 6x9's under a stealth shelf and a sub screwed to a bit of ply with the amp screwed underneath the ply. Doesn't take up massive room in the boot so suits me fine. Oh, and 6x9's are amped too.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Why the hate for 6x9's on here? in fact Sony ones are very good quality wise, wonder what people think of 7x10's? personally OP i'd invest in some very good 13's and keep them in the standard pods with a bit of Dynomat around the fitting to absorb resonance it will make the quality much much better, decent ones that hit a low Hz range will produce bass, 30Hz is widely available.

CAS sell a powered 10" Sub for under £100 and the sound quality is very good, if boot space is an issue for you go for the powered Alpine Under Seat Sub, it's perfectly fine for everyday use, if you've never had a monster Sub in the boot I can tell you it will grate after a while on day to day use and the Radio becomes horrible with all the static rasping through it, the build you make affects the quality massively such as what L33thtr33 above has said, use decent materials over placing a sub over the carpet and will feel more pro and give you much better bass.