ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

8 Subs!!

Anybody got one, is it much of a step down from a 10 or 12?? I was going to go for a bass tube but am considering this instead, got any reccommendations (not silly priced ones).

Cheers.

Cheers Dink but personally, 300 quid is silly money, especially when youre saving for a new kitchen - have you got one??? What about the Vibe 8"??

Have been there and done that with the 12s am just after some better SQ rather than bouncing down the road with my ears bleeding - have got used to the boot too, I must be getting old!!!!

182 Full Fat

Look at getting an 8 or even a smallishish boxed 10" sub and amp package, should be able to get half decent kit for under 200quid

2005 Impreza WRX STI

8" i think they would be rubbish compared to 10 or 12. they too small for large amounts of bass? 10 " is more "punchier" than a 12 " tho so who knows? id have thought they were too small ??:?

Personally i aint impressed with the spec on the JL 8W7, except of their very large excusion lenght. But you can get a perfectly exceptable bass responce from a 8", can from a 6.5" as well just needs a very good cab design. My views any way

Thats what I thought, my home cinema sub is only an 8" and that makes the whole room shake so I just dont feel the need to go filling my boot up with a huge 12" sub when an 8" does my whole sitting room which you could fit about 8 clios in - just my opinion not knocking anyone with huge subs, I did at one time!!

well ive got a Boston Acoustics 8.5LF Pro sub for sale

80 + p&p (8.99+vat) and its yours

amazing sub, magnet is enormous, can easily drop as low as many 12"s and remain more controlled than most of the 10"s on the market still

only had 6 months use, and was powered from an Audison LRx1.400, 100% aimed at quality

offers on the table if you want it

works best in a 0.3cu ft sealed enclosure, though can be run in any size enclosure, its all down to your own music choice

i ran it in a 0.6cu ft enclosure as i found the sound to be a little deeper, yet remained very controlled and focused. its all trial and error when it comes to the box

Mate if you stell me the full spec of the speaker i can model it for you, and tell you what you need. Although you proberly dont have all the info any more:cry:

Specifcations 8.5LF Pro

Nominal Size - 8" (20cm)
Mounting Cut-Out Diameter - 7 3/16" (183mm)
Mounting Depth - Front Mounted - 4 1/16" (104mm)
Mounting Depth - Rear Mounted - 4 11/16" (119mm)
Recommended Amplifier Power - 50-750 watts
Impedance - 4 Ohm

Thiele Parameters

Resonant Frequency - 36Hz
Equivalent Volume - 21 Litres (0.74cu ft)
Total Q - .40
Electrical Q - .42
Mechanical Q - 9.0
Compliance - 330um/N
Moving Mass - 60g
Cone Area - 215cm2
Voice Coil Diameter - 51mm
Voice Coil DCR - 3.1ohm
Voice Coil Inductance @ 1kHz - 0.55mH
Linear Excusrion (XMax) - 8.5mm
Peak-to-Peak Maximum Excursion - 35mm
Reference Efficiency - 0.22

im sure you wont need much more info than that

crystal produce excellent speakers, all that needs to be said about them really

again, all down to box tuning for the sound it will produce

to get good bass your best going for 2 6.5 inch subs in a good box in an isobaric design, an isobaric will keep the volume of the cabinet constant giving you very tight bass.

Scooby STi, FiestaST

Quote: Originally posted by theduckeatspork on 01 July 2005

to get good bass your best going for 2 6.5 inch subs in a good box in an isobaric design, an isobaric will keep the volume of the cabinet constant giving you very tight bass.
in english for the muppets among us... ok ok .... english for my benefit.:oops:

an isobaric design is when you have 2 identical subs in a box one facing in and one facing out, you run them both off the same/identical amps, and run them in phase (both +ve to +ve, -ve to -ve) by doing this you the volume of the cabinet stays constant, and will give you very tight, acurate and reasonably deep bass

Polo + Micra

Quote: Originally posted by theduckeatspork on 03 July 2005
an isobaric design is when you have 2 identical subs in a box one facing in and one facing out, you run them both off the same/identical amps, and run them in phase (both +ve to +ve, -ve to -ve) by doing this you the volume of the cabinet stays constant, and will give you very tight, acurate and reasonably deep bass

you run them out of phase surely

no in phase,because the sopeakers are facing different directions, one facing into the box and one out of the box, having them running out of phase will just cause bass cancellation

Polo + Micra

so as one pushes into the the box the other pulls out of the box:confused: i dont think you would get much output from that

and thats right, it works very well and has been used in Hi-Fi applications very succesfully for many years - see Linn Isobarik (For some reason thats how linn spells it even though its wrong) wilson benesch also have used it, if anyone has a sub box with 2 speakers in just try it, youll see its good

Polo + Micra

couldnt find anything on linn isobarik but found loads saying that they should be wired out of phase but because one is inverted they are actually in phase

fair enough, its been 3 years since i last worked on an isobarik, but still thats the way to make a good sub, lol