ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

900 Euros to change steering rack? Sounds about right?

172 ph1
So I've been told by my garage that the slack in my steering is being caused by a worn out steering rack, and it needs to be replaced. Quote for the job is 900 Euros.

Does that seem about right? :dapprove:

Suzuki Ignis
I would say that is a lot tbh. Think my mums cost about £400/€461 on a vectra. Try a few different places. Who quoted you that price? Renault by any chance?

172 ph1
That price doesnt surprise me then tbh. Go somewhere smaller but reputable, you'll probably get it a few hundred € cheaper.
thanks, I'll have a look around :)
ive never heard of a steering rack going on a 172 maby ive just got lucky though you sure its not the inner track rods are causing the play?
I'm not sure, but according to the guy at Renault who took the steering apart to inspect it, the "tick tick tick" I hear when I wiggle the steering wheel left to right is caused by play in the steering rack :dead:

I'm not familiar enough with cars to know if that's true or not

check that the clamps securing the rack to the subframe are very tight, as they can make a knocking noise if on some if they're not, seemingly

if it's being caused by the tie rods, those are renewable seperately

think i was told Renault racks were £400 and it's something like a 4hr job to swap one, so what they've quoted seems similar

if it is the rack, you might be able to save by finding a reconditioner, rather than actually renewing it

Vw caddy tdi
e400+ for rack, try a motor factors for inners if thats the trouble only be £40ish, renault still supply the outer track rods.

172 ph1
check that the clamps securing the rack to the subframe are very tight, as they can make a knocking noise if on some if they're not, seemingly

if it's being caused by the tie rods, those are renewable seperately

think i was told Renault racks were £400 and it's something like a 4hr job to swap one, so what they've quoted seems similar

if it is the rack, you might be able to save by finding a reconditioner, rather than actually renewing it

my garage had already tried tightening the clamp, it improved things a little but didn't fully solve the problem