ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A funny smell.......

GR7

Shiny red R32

Yesterday I actually drove 300 miles (phew!) down to Carlisle then over to Ayrshire to look at a couple of GT Turbos, and a couple of times there was an unusual disinfectant type smell in the car, but I have absolutely no idea where it was coming from.

Has anyone here experienced this? If so, what was it and where did it come from? I was wondering if it was anything to do with the air conditioning.

GR7

Shiny red R32

You two are no help to me! Neither is correct! The last time I cleaned my car it was smelling very fruity because I used Zymol which smells like banana, coconut and pineapple

Sylvia

Its probably the only time it got hot ..

what you smelt is probably the Catalytic converter.. can smell like a cross between rotton egs and domestos..

dont worry about it...

Joe..

GR7

Shiny red R32

Joe, there was no rotten egg or domestos smell, more like a jeyes fluid type smell. It only occurred twice and lasted for only a minute each time and was inside the car as though it was coming via the air-conditioning system.

I have smelt the rotten egg smell before, whilst reversing towards a wall or from the back end of other peoples cars, but this wasnt anything like that, more a clean smell. Does this discription change your idea of where it came from Joe?

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

GR, this is something to do with power steering fluid. I have had it many times in my car, but Renault could find nothing wrong. Did it happen when you were near or on full lock?

Washer fluid? Coolant?

When are you going to show off this Raider in Edinburgh then?? Ive only got two-and-a-bit weeks left up here now.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Jas, thanks for your reply, but I cant remember whether or not the steering was at full lock at both times, but I know that I have never had this smell before. I wonder if anyone else has experienced it?

GR7

Shiny red R32

Ben, the Raider isnt insured at the moment, hubby had the trade plates from my friends garage to drive it home.

I am going to give it some TLC with one of my special valets when I have time!

Hi Sylvia..
of all the things I mess with, I must ocnfess to not being totaaly at ease, or even familiar with Jeyes fluid

so I am stuck now lol...

I suppose its a girl thing ???

Jilly ???.. do you know this Jeyes chappy ??

Joe

GR7

Shiny red R32

Joe it is a type of disinfectant with a distinct smell, completely different to domestos, dettol or savlon etc. Strange one!

lol.. waxoyl or underbody wax smells a bit disinfectanty and these temps we are enjoying are not yer typical uk ones...

me thinks yer little black treasure was just .... errrrr... perspiring

thank god there was no garlic in the fuel tank huh ??.

Joe

GR7

Shiny red R32

Maybe you are right Joe, as it was a bit hard on Jacques making him keep going for 300 miles at one stretch!

absolutely !!!

in one stretch... Jeeeeeez !

bound to sweat a bit

I am sure it is so simple.. and dont worry gal.. it hasnt run away - its just redistribured.. hmmmmmm. back on the men topic lol.....

ps.. I bet its all yer polish that dried in the inacessable places (Dont you HATE them ! ?)... you just melted it all.... the M1 will never be as shiney again.

Joe

Erm...I know everybody has their own ideas of distance, but I thnk that 300 miles isnt that bad!! Yours trulys valver has covered a 1000 miles at a time a number of times (oh those crazy days eh....).

7.6cc :D

Dont worry Sylvia, at least its a nice clean smell instead of a nasty one. Thomas currently smells of lemons for some strange reason.

as for worrying about it, DONT!, just bury your head in the sand and forget about it,

and no Captain Slary, i have not had the pleasure of this Jeyes chappy as yet!

GR7

Shiny red R32

Anyone else experienced this hospital smell? By the way, it disappeared when the air con was turned off.

I have had a smell from the heater from day one, but it is "VERY" intermitant, i think it is the heater matrix,because it smells like antifreeze, but renault cant find a fault with it, but thats "sods law".

BMW 320d Sport

Sounds like coolant to me. Probably from the heater matrix but maybe under the bonnet. Watch for leaks under the car, if its blue/green then its coolant.

Otherwise dont worry about it!

GR7

Shiny red R32

Nick, a friend of mine had a heater matrix/antifreeze problem with a 306 XSi a few months ago, but the smell she experienced was like curry, whereas mine is very disinfectantish. It only appeared on Friday night, twice, whilst on a 300 mile round trip (I have only done 40 miles in one go in the past six months).

GR,

Dont worry about poor Jaques, Angellica has prooved that she has long legs. She has done the 400 mile (each way) surf trek many times with only a 20 minute break when she gets hungrey and moans at me for more optimax.

Its the only time she feel warm enough to raise her limiter to 7250,

Bless

Mav

After reading this thread I was intreauged to find out what this Jeays flluid smelt of.

And would you believe it behind the bar at work was a bottle, so I cracked it open and had a good sniff (at this point all the customers were convinced I had turned to solvent abuse! lol). Its not particualrly nice!

GR,

may seem a long shot.

Did U use the screen washers before the smell. The liquid can get into the air intake vents of cars and cause a smell. Can be a bit like alcohol (my excuse anyway!!!!) only kidding

Mark

GR,

im not at all jealous that you have a raider, i only fancied one for a few minutes whilst johnny was off the road honest!!

So what you gonna call him??

Chuckie

GR7

Shiny red R32

Not decided yet Chuckie, any ideas? He lived in London until 1996, since then he has lived in Ayrshire, so will probably have a Scottish name. Possibly something like Gordon, Hamish, Jock, Robbie or what about Darius?

Only kidding!