ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A good combat flight sim?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yeaaaah. Tbh though you’ll probably only buy a few aircraft and a couple of maps, and during a sale.

There’s no way you’d be able to remember how to fly more than a few planes at once so it limits you.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
APKWS: because 91 laser guided rockets, each powerful enough to destroy an APC, on one plane. With room for 5 500lb bombs.
B8D241D1-E459-4248-BC1C-48771DD3C2CA.jpeg

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
APKWS: because 91 laser guided rockets, each powerful enough to destroy an APC, on one plane. With room for 5 500lb bombs.
View attachment 1576209
Love the A-10 - such a focused, dedicated aircraft.

Makes me laugh how the US military keeps trying to kill it off. Yet they role over and admit defeat that there is nothing else in their inventory that comes close to what it does.

I read somewhere that even the exhaust gases are mainly cooler air in order to minimise its IR signature.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yup, the gases pass over the top of the tail too, further hiding the heat signature from below.

It’d get owned against a modern adversary but for bombing peasants in deserts it’s untouchable.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
So.... bump.

It's awesome. I don't get a massive amount of time to fly in DCS these days but holy christ is it deep. I'd say I'm about 70% proficient on the F-16, 50% on the F/A-18, 50% on the A-10C, 80% on the Spitfire (well, there's a lot less to learn, lol), 30% on the F-14. I can cold start the F-16 and F/A-18, I can do cats and traps with the F/A-18 and I can use most of the weapons on the 16 and 18 including laser guided munitions, Harpoon, and SLAMs. Still kinda sucky with dogfighting but I can do enough to at least survive.

Flying in VR is absolutely fantastic. You genuinely feel like you're sat in the cockpit and using helmet mounted cueing systems to find and designate targets is really cool and helps with awareness a lot.

I've just picked up the Apache. Christ, it's not easy flying a helicopter. But it pew pews brilliantly.
20221228191434_1.jpg

Well recommended if there's any serious aviation nerds on here.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I watch that growling sidewinder guy on YouTube all the time.

I’m old now but if they’d have had DCS when I was in my teens I’d of been all over it.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
f**k you all, Ace Combat 7 FTW 😆
To be fair, you could pick up AC7 and be dogfighting far quicker than you could in DCS. It’s much more accessible.

I’m old now but if they’d have had DCS when I was in my teens I’d of been all over it.
Yeah his content is very good. I certainly can’t dogfight like that*
*at all

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Getting some practice in with the Apache. I’m no Prince Harry, but I’m doing alright. PNVS is quite cool, transitioning from forward flight to a hover less so.

Skip to 13:50 if you just want to see stuff get shot at

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Same here.

Back in the late 80s, I was obsessed with Project Stealth Fighter on the C64. Somehow, I even had the patience to tolerate the painfully slow loading times, ejecting the tape and turning it over and pressing Play once more.

I did kind of cheat with the missions though - having them on their easiest difficulty with no crash damage and unlimited weapons, purely due to the loading times involved. Kids today have no concept of waiting at least 5 minutes for a level to reload, just because you botched the take-off sequence and ended up in a fireball at the end of the runway.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
20230310210545_1.jpg

DCS has just been updated with multithreading support. Literally doubled the FPS, massive improvement. Even with everything pegged my laptop with a 3060 in it manages 90-100fps. If you've discounted DCS because you needed a supercomputer to run it... good news.

And to think they're implementing DLSS too, that will speed things up even further.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Their F-14 is absolutely incredible, I doubt there's anything that has ever been simulated as well as the F14 is.

This was something they added recently: