ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A good combat flight sim?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Anyone know of one with a good online scene?

Used to play these loads when I was young!

What platform you talking? Used to love CFS1 and 2 when I was younger. Also liked the non combat Microsoft Flight Sim. Used to fligh the 737 from Manchester to Spain real time ha. A lot of wasted hours on that.

Im a WW2 buff, so the lack of a WW2 combat sim for Xbox One is pretty sad.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
On PC!

I used to play Janes USAF a lot. But it won't work on 64bit Win7/8.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Have you tried War Thunder? Free to download - quite arcadey in feel - but full of active players.
You can either play in tank vs tank battles - or go in the air - take on other fighter aircraft or go in the ground attack role against the tanks.
Depends how heavy-duty to want to go. There are some serious, serious releases of software out there.....

What I wouldnt do for an accurate Battle of Britain sim, with all the actual missions/aircraft and accurate damage wear and tear modelling etc.

Dont think I'd see daylight for several days at a time. Used to love the missions on CFS1, playing as the germans and winning all the medals, Iron Cross etc etc.

Listerine & Poledo
I used to play the Falcon series endlessly, but that's going waaaaay back.

MS Flight Sim with Combat packs are alright, but aren't quite right.

War Thunder is good, but depends if you want a Sim or an Arcade game. War Thunder is definitely more on the Arcade side of things. At least as a play-to-win game you can suss out if it's worth your money beforehand.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It was a sad day when our publisher took us (Rowan) from making flight sims and focused us on console development 😧 *sigh*

I remember those from back in the day, Andy. They did the Operation Overlord games, didn't they? Looked very good for their time, iirc too.

I used to play the Falcon series endlessly, but that's going waaaaay back.

War Thunder is good, but depends if you want a Sim or an Arcade game. War Thunder is definitely more on the Arcade side of things. At least as a play-to-win game you can suss out if it's worth your money beforehand.

The original Falcon by Spectrum Holobyte was jaw-dropping at the time. I remember having my trusty 'ol C64 and my m8 having Falcon on his Amiga. The difference in sound, capability and graphics was mega-jealous-inducing! :)

Some flight sims are unbelievably complex. The A-10 Warthog by DCS is proper hardcore. I went through the tutorial for preflight checks and wondered why my pilots 'vision' was going blurred and with a blue tinge to it. I hadn't heard the comment about switching on the oxygen supply to the cockpit and once enabled, the screen soon went clear. I hadn't even moved the aircraft an inch by that point!

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I play War Thunder sometimes, fantastic game considering its a free download, just be prepared to be show down ALOT, and it takes a good while to level your planes and pilots up in the later levels........

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I play War Thunder sometimes, fantastic game considering its a free download, just be prepared to be show down ALOT, and it takes a good while to level your planes and pilots up in the later levels........

I can believe that. I tried the tank side of the game and my standard rounds had the equivalent damage as chucking tomatoes at the enemy....

Listerine & Poledo
ah well. never mind.

Actually, it doesn't even matter, I've not found a way to join up with people or teams on those games anyway

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I can believe that. I tried the tank side of the game and my standard rounds had the equivalent damage as chucking tomatoes at the enemy....
I have only played the tank side a few times, like you said, your starting tank must have a pea shooter for a gun, I have been pretty good, I think I have only spent £5 on eagles on the flight side, and I must be a good 100 hours in I would say, its frustrating at times, but also rewarding when you manage to nail a few people, does take a lot of patience though, especially considering it is quite arcadey........

Listerine & Poledo
Bombing runs on WT are a proper waste of time.
You get all of about 0 points, it takes forever to get a decent run, then you run out of bombs.

While all this is going on you can see all the fighters going at it hard below.

So you choose a fighter next.

And get wiped out of the sky by the bloke who's gone and buffed his plane with about £30 of purchases and taken down most of your 'team'

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
@Goodj :- I can tell you have played War Thunder a bit.....lol, to be honest I quite like the bombers, I have B25 with decent gunners on it, I can usually take at least one or 2 fighters out before I go down in flames, and its quite rewarding to destroy 5 or 6 grounds units in one swoop...

The one thing I don't like is when it mixes levels, I am level 3 American, and most of the time the sky it littered with level 4 planes than can muller you in seconds......

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
ARMA is a great Sim on PC.
Can download lots of content.
Also can get huge online missions.

Listerine & Poledo
@Goodj :- I can tell you have played War Thunder a bit.....lol, to be honest I quite like the bombers, I have B25 with decent gunners on it, I can usually take at least one or 2 fighters out before I go down in flames, and its quite rewarding to destroy 5 or 6 grounds units in one swoop...

The one thing I don't like is when it mixes levels, I am level 3 American, and most of the time the sky it littered with level 4 planes than can muller you in seconds......
Haven't even powered it up in months lol. But for ages it was the only game I had on PS4 (lets face it, there's still only 3 or 4 worth buying, even now).
Played it unendingly, found a great tactic for airfield capture...

Take the Japanese boat-plane bomber. Land it on the runway.
They just let the gunners gun until you win by capture points.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I havent played it for a while, its easy to get into, but really time consuming, and frustrating at times, brilliant game for free though....

Clio 172

IMO DCS A-10 is by far the best combat flight sim about, but its learning curve is steep! Took me about 6months to fully learn it.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Bombing runs on WT are a proper waste of time.
You get all of about 0 points, it takes forever to get a decent run, then you run out of bombs.

While all this is going on you can see all the fighters going at it hard below.

So you choose a fighter next.

And get wiped out of the sky by the bloke who's gone and buffed his plane with about £30 of purchases and taken down most of your 'team'

That's one of the big draws with Warframe for me. Only a small fraction of the game is PvP - and can be totally ignored, if you so wish. I tried it once - killed a few and died a lot. Just pointless - especially up against the Mastercard Kiddies who rinse their parental's credit card and have spent god-knows how much on upgrades and mods.

Warframe is predominantly a co-op game against server-generated opposition. It rewards you for playing as a team - across many types of objective - defence, mobile defence, sabotage, assassination, spying, excavation, etc. As each Warframe has abilities that the others don't, mutually supporting skills are worthwhile and fun to find out - as is the weaponry.

The option to buy kit is always there, but you can develop a significantly tough character just by playing it - no purchases required. One of the players on our team has yet to spend a penny on it.

As a 'freemium' game as you put it - I've yet to see anything that compares to how well the business model of Warframe has been implemented.

Listerine & Poledo
Freemium, pay-to-win, free-to-play, "download for free". Call them what you will, but the casts majority of them are a blight on the world of gaming.
Most, not all, but certainly a thick majority.
South Park did a spot-on episode about it.
It's almost like having a coin-op game in your device. But if I'm going to pay coin-up prices, I want a 10-player Daytona linked machine, or the afterburner cabinet that flips and rotates.
Or time crisis.
You know, something worth 50p a throw :)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
So what do I get for PC?

Warthunder is daft.

I don't mind paying for the game. I don't want to mess around buying in game additions.

There must be a modern Janes USAF equivalent?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Bump.

Okay, I'm sold on trying DCS. But f**k me, the addons are expensive! The F14 is, apparently, worth the money though. Looks bloody epic.

All footage captured in-game? I’d love to know the hardware specs on that.

Looks like they have the A6 Intruder on there too - not seen that in many flight games at all, though there was the old ‘Flight of the Intruder’ game from years back.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yup. Absolutely beautiful video! So far I've had no issues with framerate etc on my 3070, seems fairly well optimised.

It's fooking complex though, I bought the F14 and Flaming Cliffs 3 which comes with the F15, A10 and a bunch of MiGs and Sukhois, I've got the F14 flying but literally anything else, weapons systems etc, not yet!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I spent about two hours sitting on the ground trying to learn how to use the radar and the Phoenix missiles.

200.gif

Not a f**king clue.

No doubt, if you want to actually learn how to fly and fight in a real F-14, this is the sim for you. You just have to learn to be a real F-14 pilot AND radar intercept officer. And this is literally just to fly ONE plane.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it is. It’s genuinely an achievement each time you learn one of the systems.

I went a bit crazy, now I have the A-10C,F-14,F-16,F/A-18 and the Flaming Cliffs 3 pack. I think that combination is going to keep me busy learning them all year.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I spent about two hours sitting on the ground trying to learn how to use the radar and the Phoenix missiles.

View attachment 1572291
Not a f**king clue.

No doubt, if you want to actually learn how to fly and fight in a real F-14, this is the sim for you. You just have to learn to be a real F-14 pilot AND radar intercept officer. And this is literally just to fly ONE plane.
Please tell me that you can fly this in multiplayer with someone else acting as your RIO? 😊

Would be superb to have four players running this in wingman formation - but that would assume that you're all up to speed on how the bloody thing flies in the first place?!

I got mentally battered way back in the day with Falcon 4.0 - thinking I could just flick through the phone-book sized manual and take off in no time. Nope. Not at all. That said, it was bloody impressive for what they released back in the day and I assume that DCS World is several leagues ahead in that field?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
You can and lots do, but I haven’t even touched MP yet, I’d be shot down in seconds. Besides, I’m more of a ground attack guy than a dogfighter.