ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A lens to replace the kit lens 400d.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
...Ok what do i want it for....Everything!!!

I appreciate thats not all that helpful. I want a zoom but not a mega zoom. I was a crisp image overall

For example at 15ft back the image with my 50mm was so much better than the kit lens on the canon. But thats the closest i could go to the car without cutting bits out. The kit lens allowed me close up with the whole subject in the pic!

Budget...not got one really. But be realistic.

Cupra
24-105 F4L IS.... if you can live with 24mm at the wide end, it is an amazing lens with a decent reach. There is also the 24-70 f2.8 but the thing is twice as heavy as your camera and is nicknamed "The Brick" by the canon folk.

The 17-55 f2.8 IS EF-S lens is a good option on the 400D too but it asks L money without the L build quality. 55mm is not that much reach either.

Those two were the lenses that I was looking at a while back and I opted for the 24-105 as I used the longer end more than the wider.

Ian

Focus TDCi
I only ever read about the expensive lenses tbh :eek:

Canon:
17-40mm f/4 L - £550ish (Cheap, but lacks a bit of reach)
17-55mm f/2.8 IS - £650ish (EF-s only, will work with the 400d)
24-105mm f/4 L IS - £750ish (Alternative to the 24-70mm)
24-70mm f/2.8 L - £950ish (Probably my next lens, if I can ever afford it)
16-35mm f/2.8 L - £1100ish (Very good lens, but only small range, overpriced IMO)

Alternatively:
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 - £280ish
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 - £350-750 depending which you choose

From what I've read they're all good lenses, but it really depends on your budget. There are others out there for cheaper, including two new ones just released by Canon, but I don't know anything about them, so can't really comment.

Depends on budget!!! The L glass is out of mine and I am still seraching for a nice lens to work alongside my 50mm with a budget of 300-350ish.

I have been looking at the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 (around £200 used, £300+ new) and the new Canon 18-135is (no reviews STILL).

Ian.. the new Canon 15-85mm is far from cheap - £699!!! WTF!

Cupra
I dont understand the pricing of the new 15-85 at all. Granted the RRP and the actual price always vary considerably but it is still at f3.5-5.6 lens. You'd expect at least a 2.8 for that sort of money.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Ian.. the new Canon 15-85mm is far from cheap - £699!!! WTF!

Wrote it wrong, meant to say that the list I wrote wasn't conclusive lol, there are cheaper and more expensive lenses out there. Not paying that much for it though unless it's worth it, would rather hold out for the 24-70/105mm. :)

I dont understand the pricing of the new 15-85 at all. Granted the RRP and the actual price always vary considerably but it is still at f3.5-5.6 lens. You'd expect at least a 2.8 for that sort of money.

Me neither! Ideal walkaround for me, but that price! I can get it for £570, but thtas still damn steep considering!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I refuse to spend more than 300£...granted this limits the quality. But i'm not a pro, nor am 'that' interested! I want a decent lens!

Thanks thus far.

Cupra
I refuse to spend more than 300£...granted this limits the quality. But i'm not a pro, nor am 'that' interested! I want a decent lens!

Thanks thus far.

If you have cash in the bank, lenses are a good investment 2nd hand. I have just sold off 4 lenses that I have bought over the last couple of years and have drawn even on the lot. If you fancy trying some nice glass while funds allow, treat yourself and sell it on when you are bored of it. Chris has also bought and sold a lot of his kit and AFAIK never lost much on it either.