ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Accelerator Problem - Not Revving

Recently had issues with the accelertor not revving the enging. The engine would start and rev itself at an unsually high 200rpm. Then after a while all was ok.

My code reader said P0120 - Throttle / Pedal / Position Sensor / Switch A Circuit.

Yesterday it down down completely so was taken to the dealer (I know...) and after 1 hr diags they have come back saying they are 90% sure its the Injection ECU unit (parts and labour - £660) , or I pay another two hours diags to be 100% sure. (Iaparently renault "suggest 3hour diags to be sure")

Anybody had a similar issue? If I pay another two hours diags they might come back and says it's the lambda sensor ?(seen this mentioned is other posts) or i pay £660 for new ecu and problem still not fixed.

Please help!

Many thanks

Clio Dynamique 1.6
I think your code reader is correct. Mine had a similar problem where the throttle stopped working and the garage changed the throttle position sensor (I believe they have to change the whole throttle unit..) and it has been fine since.

I can't remember how much it cost but it wasn't much. :)

Just had the same issue, warning light on the dash and it felt like the peddle wasn't doing much.

Throttle peddle had to be replaced.

Was told there's two tracks inside and there was a brake in one of them so I was only getting about 75% from it.

I was charged £55 for a new one and an hour and a half labour for the diag and replacement.

Update: ECU tested and come back 100% ok. Fitted to car and for 30mins all was ok, then the fault returned (revving idol at 2000rpm)

Fiitted new throttle body kit. Car ok for approx 30 mins again, then fault re-appeared!

What else can it be? THe garage are thinking about checking each electrical cable...

Renaultsport clio 172
Have you or renault or anyone realy, tried the throttle peddle itself?? u know anyone with a clio sport like your own or possibly even tho i wouldnt advise and dont have a clue if it would work but maybe any clio throttle pedal?? its easy enough to take off and put new one on so maybe if u friend/family or anyone nice enough you could switch over just to test

cause today i had the same problem and iv been told by a few sources including i think a german AA guy that the sensor is the problem and wa ap geist sounds exactly wa went wrong with my car and sounds like your problem

also does the light with like a heart rate monitor come on when u rev it??

Clio 1.2 16V (05)
I had a similar problem a few weeks back, the mechanic told me it was one of 3 things;

Accelerator pedal
Throttle body
Wiring

I told him to try the pedal first since it would be the cheapest option (~£50), the new pedal has been in for a few weeks now with no further problems.

Hope this helps

Renaultsport clio 172
RDB14 u lucky shiiiet lol i changed my throttle pedal today hoping the same as u, bein the cheapest

BUT no luck still the same problem :(

Clio 172
Iv done exactly the same as scootyman-2008 today, put a different throttle pedal on it and had no luck! This fault is getting right on my bits now, there seems to be no deffinate answer anywhere, its just trial and bloody error! if anyone has any joy please keep me updated. cheers.

Renaultsport clio 172
K so i start my engine and all fine, give slow acceleration most the way down and fine but if i hit it harsh and fully open throttle it goes into silly limp mode and can only get upto 3000rpm. only way to solve it is to switch engine off and the limp mode and heart rate light goes off again, that the case with everybody else or along the same lines???

Right, i was told by a few sources its either thottle peddle, body or wires. cheapest thing was peddle like RDB14 said and had luck with but wasnt working for mine.

Next step the only thing iv tried doin now is iv taken of the air filter and pipes goin into the throttle body, then with a mate taking it in turns to look at the throttle body and push down peddle we opened it up slowly and harsh (with engine on) and done the norm with the limp mode when harsh and even after it came on we tried slow but no more than 3000rpm

Then tried it with just the ignition turned and engine off and exactly the same as if the engine was on, so anybody else the same???

We also noticed and i cannot remember what it was like before (so if anybodys clio is running normal please answer this) but when i turn the ignition on there a big horrible clicky noise then followed by a continuos horrible wining type noise from the throttle body, and when i open the throttle up it makes a noise hard to explain but like its stuggling and possibly grinding??? That me being to paranoid and fussy or????

Next to double check wiring

That help anyone in helping us poor soles sort this pain in the pits problem???

thanks alot if u can

Insignia SRi
My throttle pedal switch packed up yesterday, so its going in tomorow for a new accelarator pedal unit, £65!!

Clio 1.2 16V (05)
Scotty,

The mechanic said the other thing it might be is the contacts in the throttle body, giving them a good clean might solve the issue. Won't cost you anything to try!

Garage still pointing me to the ECU. THey say its not the throttle pedal sensor or any temp sensors. I am reluctant to spend £660 if that doesn't fix it.

Can the ECU be programmed from a non-Renault dealer?
I assume the immobiliser will need re-programming?
Anybody know where I can get replacement ECU, other than the dealer?

Renaultsport clio 172
iv been doing everything under the sun like stripping everything it could possibly be like the lambda sensors, throttle sensors, throttle body, peddle the exhaust itself etc and it would not go, went to 2 different garages and renault and they couldnt work it out at all unless they stripped everything and started from scratch bla bla (big bucks) so getting ready to book it in for a bank punishin check over

today goin to show my mate the problem i was suprised/happy/annoyed that it has gone completly, i mean i tried knocking it on and off, givin the car a beltin in most gears and absolutly nothin :S, happy its gone, annoyed as i dunno wa it was in the end and the fact it caused so much stress, so i can only come 2 1 conclusion and that is that its french and french cars are known for electric faults so like RBD14 said check all contacts, wiring etc