ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Accelerator stuck at max rev's, car tried to Kill me!!

172 Clio
Desperatly looking for help, my car recently tried to kill me while I was pushing it a little bit, the car suddenly decieded to go to max rev's and I had to turn the key off to stop the car, accelerator was non responsive, it had not got stuck just was'nt doing anything, I've checked the TB and replaced the pedal but still got the same issue, I'm not sure it I have a air leak somewhere as I cannot work out how it getting air to take it to max rev's, really need to get this issue sorted asap issue is I cannot drive it anywhere, I've PM'd Mick on here as he seem to know loads about similar issues but though I'd post this on here to see if anyone has any idea's, also is there anyone close to Royston/Cambridge that has a Fault Code or CLIP reader that I can ask if they are able to read the codes for me, happy to pay someone if there is anyone that can help??

Last edited:
  172 Clio
I was approaching a bridge and went to back off the accelerator to drop speed to negoitiate the corner appoaching the bridge and instead the rev's increased and bounced off the rev limiter, it took me a 1 second or so to realise what was happening and try and turn the engine off and break, it mean't that I totally missed my breaking point, trust me, if you are expecting to break and instead you speed up you have travelled some distance before you react to the situation and in that time your not where you thought you were going to be!

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
But surely if you were expecting to brake for a corner, you were more than likely going to change down a gear anyway so was prepared to dip the clutch? If it happens again, dip the clutch, let it rev the tits off the engine while you brake and steer to a safe place, then turn the engine off.

172 Clio
But surely if you were expecting to brake for a corner, you were more than likely going to change down a gear anyway so was prepared to dip the clutch? If it happens again, dip the clutch, let it rev the tits off the engine while you brake and steer to a safe place, then turn the engine off.

I did'nt crash, but it was very close, the issue is that I have a Clio 172 that now bounces off the rev limiter as soon as you start it that I need to resolve as this is currently my only car.

172 Clio
And then clean the throttle body

Tried cleaning the TB and it has made no differance, it's not stuck open; I've replaced the Pedal and again it's made no differance, got one on the cheap so it was worth testing, I have no access to a CLIP or code reader, going to have to buy one unless anyone local has one that can read the code and I'll pay?

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I did'nt crash, but it was very close, the issue is that I have a Clio 172 that now bounces off the rev limiter as soon as you start it that I need to resolve as this is currently my only car.
Nowhere in the OP did you state the fact it happens as soon as you start the engine. My reply was advice on how to deal with an intermittent fault, which I believed this was, if it occurred as you were driving to a place of repair.

172 Clio
Nowhere in the OP did you state the fact it happens as soon as you start the engine. My reply was advice on how to deal with an intermittent fault, which I believed this was, if it occurred as you were driving to a place of repair.

No I did'nt say it was intermittent, if it were I'd have said intermittent, I said I now got a car stuck with the same issue and it's getting air from somewhere after checking the TB and replacing the Pedal, nothing wrong with your advice though, if it ever happens to anyone else!

I just need to try and find a solution now it's stuck like this which it's probably 99% that I've got an airleak somewhere but at present don't know where as I cannot see where it's leaking from....Mickpm has been very helpful in PM'ing me (Thanks Mick.)

Many.
I'd pop up if you covered my fuel costs, with my decent diagnostics, and my knowledge, and most likely some brake cleaner to identify if its an air leak.

I'm 10mins from Stansted Airport.

172 Clio
I'd pop up if you covered my fuel costs, with my decent diagnostics, and my knowledge, and most likely some brake cleaner to identify if its an air leak.

I'm 10mins from Stansted Airport.

Thats would be fantastic, are you free tomorrow morning, I've have a christening to go to tomorrow @ 3 pm but free anytime before that?
Many many thanks for the the offer, I can PM you my phone number and post code ext ect

Regards Rob