ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ace Combat 7

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Took a punt on it after having the game sat on my Steam wishlist for a while and noticed the Deluxe Edition being 67% off at £23. I've always liked the semi-serious arcadey approach to games like these - almost like the classic Sega Afterburner game with a bit of back-story tagged onto it.

Usual fare - invading fictional armies set in 2019. Basic flight model with a unlock tree for some perks. Only played it for just short of an hour so far, but it's been very good. Works well with a standard XBox pad, but I may even dig out my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 stick from retirement for it. Might have to get rid of some of the cobwebs from it first though.

Looks great and plays very smoothly indeed.

1588587737737.png

1588587774069.png

1588587812245.png

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
This has been on my radar, excuse the pun for a while so I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I bought this 6 months ago and couldn't put it down. Nailed the story and then started trying to get all the skins for the planes. Always great with a bit of Kenny Loggins in the back ground.

Clio
Downloaded this yesterday, did the first two missions and really enjoyed it. Not quite got the hang of the air to ground attacks yet though, kept having near scrapes with the ground.

Just need to have a row with the Mrs now so she tells me to sleep downstairs and I can get a good session in.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I assume this is like a better version of Warthunder? i have played played Warthunder on and off for years, love it, just pisses me off you can put hours in, and get blown out the sky by someone who has spent £50, or you end up in a game with players 2 levels above you.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I assume this is like a better version of Warthunder? i have played played Warthunder on and off for years, love it, just pisses me off you can put hours in, and get blown out the sky by someone who has spent £50, or you end up in a game with players 2 levels above you.
Completely different. It's an arcade game with planes and a weird anime story with fantasy and RPG (ish) elements that is somehow excellent to play

No idea if it has multiplayer, I've only ever played the single player

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Completely different. It's an arcade game with planes and a weird anime story with fantasy and RPG (ish) elements that is somehow excellent to play

No idea if it has multiplayer, I've only ever played the single player
I would describe Warthunder as an arcade game really? but i get what you are saying, might give it go in a few years when i have finished the Witcher.... 😂

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah - as @Cookie says, it's different from War Thunder - perhaps the only crossover being that aircraft exist in both titles.

If you're familiar with the old classics like Battle Stations Pacific and Midway, you're much more on the ball with it. I will actually add a negative here about the game, though it's totally in my hands as the player not to be affected by it. With the Deluxe Version of AC7, you automatically get some of the high-tier UAV type fighter aircraft that can perform crazy moves due to the perceived lack of a pilot onboard. They are so overpowered compared to the mainstream enemies in the earlier levels, that it's almost like using a set of cheat codes. Of course, like I mentioned, I could just choose to fly are more mainstream aircraft instead.

I do think there's a market out there for a game like this, but with a bit more realism and less of a background story. Not one that you need a pilots licence for and a 463 page PDF to just take off (a la DCS World). I think the ancient Strike Commander from Origin kind of got close, but not quite there....

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I am not sure if you remember, but i used to play a game called F29 Retaliator on the Amiga, it was amazing in it's day i spent hours and hours on that.