ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adjusting gear selector - tips required

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Hi there,

Since having engine out and replacing all the mounts I just cannot for the life of me adjust the gear selector rod properly.

Had the Mrs hold it in a neutral like position, after much tweaking I can select all gears bar reverse. I can select reverse manually from under the car (bit inconvenient :LOL: ) and if I go very quickly from right to left can occasionally get it to jump into reverse. Feels like a am only a mm or so away from winning.

Does any one have any helpful tips on adjusting the mech well? Rather than just lying under the car for hours moving it slightly?

Thanks!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I believe the way to do it is to put the box in reverse manually and then put the gearstick in it's reverse position and tighen up the linkage.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks very much - I did try that at one point, although as soon as I came out of reverse couldn't get it back in grrr.

I've bought the little white bush that goes near the shift mech incase that has play in it, just trying to source a few other shifter bushes incase I have too much play.

Wondering if anyone has moved engine over a little to fix a similar problem...

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Hold the shifter in reverse and then put the box in reverse and nip it up.
Then you can finely adjust the bar by moving in and out/left and right.
It's a proper b*****d. I spent 2 hours doing it by myself and it's still not right.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Louis, thats actually filled me with a bit of hope.

Im thinking that I will get someone to hold the lever to the right while its in the reverse position and then nip it up. On other cars they have a little pin at the box end, so you put the car in first (or what ever) put the pin in and then clamp the rod... that would have been loads easier than the random s**t show I've got atm.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Louis, thats actually filled me with a bit of hope.

Im thinking that I will get someone to hold the lever to the right while its in the reverse position and then nip it up. On other cars they have a little pin at the box end, so you put the car in first (or what ever) put the pin in and then clamp the rod... that would have been loads easier than the random s**t show I've got atm.
To the left. Right is 5th

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry I meant, When its past the reverse gate hold it to the right (while still in reverse), got a feeling it was being held far left. I'm really close so the slop in reverse might have been enough to miss it.

I never used the reverse method, I just used a marker on the linkage and checked 5th and reverse engagement, if one was more difficult I made a small adjustment the opposite way. I have the yanoo stiff shift 3.0. But similar to another member I have loosened all the way as when things get hot the ball expands and makes the shifts too stiff. It’s good other than that, had to take back material on the ball to begin with though

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
@Touring_Rob what other bushes are you trying to get hold of in the linkage. Cheers

Hiya - all of them. The more the merrier. I contacted DPA regarding their silicone balls but he is having trouble sourcing them at the moment (likely moulded in China). I need to actually go through some drawings of the mech and see what bushes etc there are in the mech however the plan (if i can source them) is to change the lot.

Have even been thinking doing a cable shift conversion however am struggling to find suitable mounts + enthusiasm. However would permit a PMS like system without the vibration issues.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I never used the reverse method, I just used a marker on the linkage and checked 5th and reverse engagement, if one was more difficult I made a small adjustment the opposite way. I have the yanoo stiff shift 3.0. But similar to another member I have loosened all the way as when things get hot the ball expands and makes the shifts too stiff. It’s good other than that, had to take back material on the ball to begin with though

Thats actually a simple and good shout. I think part of my issue has been me not knowing how much of a 'tweak' I've made as the whole lot wanks about in mid air.

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
Can sort you some brass bushes if your interested.
From memory there’s the plastic ball socket on the gearbox and possibly another top hat bush on the linkage although it’s been a while since I’ve had a proper look.
Cheers

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Can sort you some brass bushes if your interested.
From memory there’s the plastic ball socket on the gearbox and possibly another top hat bush on the linkage although it’s been a while since I’ve had a proper look.
Cheers

Sounds good! Would you PM me some prices, do you turn them up or just use Oilite bushes?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I know these gear shifters inside out now. Best way to stiffen them up for more precision is just to buy the scenic repair kit on ebay.
The plastic ball has grooves in and these wear with age. The full rubber casing also softens meaning it just slops around.

Equal to a yanoo v1 with all new components in stiffness. Use of orings between the two cups on the ball also improves things. Exactly how the BMS is stiffened.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I know these gear shifters inside out now. Best way to stiffen them up for more precision is just to buy the scenic repair kit on ebay.
The plastic ball has grooves in and these wear with age. The full rubber casing also softens meaning it just slops around.

Equal to a yanoo v1 with all new components in stiffness. Use of orings between the two cups on the ball also improves things. Exactly how the BMS is stiffened.

Link me up Don Louie. Sound like a brass bush and a scenic repair kit will sort me right out.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Link me up Don Louie. Sound like a brass bush and a scenic repair kit will sort me right out.
I tried brass bushes and hated them. Just stiffen it up way too much imho, especially if just trying to adjust the linkage on the box end too. Makes it impossible to get any feel of the box.

Just Ebay search 'scenic repair kit shifter'.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I tried brass bushes and hated them. Just stiffen it up way too much imho, especially if just trying to adjust the linkage on the box end too. Makes it impossible to get any feel of the box.

Just Ebay search 'scenic repair kit shifter'.

Like use my own time and brain you mean lol. After I sent that I did think I would just type the words into eBay myself and not be such a chief.

This the kit?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gear-Shi...100418?hash=item4b3aec2002:g:CCcAAOSw3HlamULe

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Like use my own time and brain you mean lol. After I sent that I did think I would just type the words into eBay myself and not be such a chief.

This the kit?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gear-Shi...100418?hash=item4b3aec2002:g:CCcAAOSw3HlamULe
Wrong one senòr

Think you did that just to get me to send you the link tbh.