ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice Needed Re:Caliper Painting

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Just wondering if anyone has an accurate guide or walkthrough on how to do this successfully on a Mk2 172? Cheers in advance

Last edited:
  VRS
1,take off wheels
2,sand down existing calipers to get rid of crap, or use a wire brush
3,use autoglym engine and machine cleaner or degreaser to check surface is clean
4,apply paint!

hammerite is good value at a fiver compared to caliper kits which are around 20 quid! if your using hammerite tinned paint then do around 4 coats with a small brush waiting approximately 15mins between coats!
if you use hammerite spray paint then mask off the discs etc.

the tinned paint gives a thicker finish and the spray gives a thinner finish

hope this helps

ST
Painting calipers can be a bit dangerous as the calipers heats up under braking....hammerite being heat resistant paint which will hold the heat inside the caliper..

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The brakes ( calipers , discs , pads ) get extremely hot anyway with or without paint . Never had a problem with mine being painted and i'm sure any heat retained , if any , by using heat resistant paint would be minimal .After all thats all that caliper paint is , heat resistant paint .

VRS
just dont use the heat resistant paint :D use the normal stuff, it can withstand the temps which the caliper reach without jeperdising the function

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^^ Mine is the normal hammerite , but like you say , it can withstand high temperatures anyway .

Megane225FF
cheaper version than engine degreaser is fairy power spray..
you can get away with just doing 2 coats of hammerite if you're a lazy sod like me.

Cheers fella, started the job today. I've got broekn collarbone so was extremely hard job for a one handed person. Started with this, everything is rusting due to car not being driven....

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Will keep progress posted...

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^^ Taking your wheel off is always a good first step , lol . I had a broken collar bone years ago , fcukin hurts mate doesn't it .Good luck with the painting .

Job done......... Fuckin killed my collarbone but worth it in the end. Lookin forward to getting my Turini's and grooved discs on, should look slightly better than the rust.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]