ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on servicing your own car

Audi S1
Hi all,

Just been paid so now seems to be the best time to buy the stuff I need. Few questions I need answering though. How much am I looking at? (no labour) What sort of things MUST be replaced/checked?

My MOT is saturday, so we will probably work on the car Sunday, if it passes lol. If it is going to fail on anything it will be the rear disc/pads or the CV boot which I think is split. All of this I will be replacing on Sunday.

My list so far looks like this;

Rear Discs/Pad
CV Joint/Boot (not to sure on what one my mate will no)
HT Leads
Spark Plugs
Oil Change
Air Filter

If there is anything I have missed please let me know!

330i. E30 Touring.
No point in changing the leads unless they're playing up.

Add an oil filter to that list.

Also, a coolant flush & brake fluid change wouldn't be the worst idea.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Why you changing the plugs?
Get the proper NGK ones to!

Audi S1
My car fails to start first time, not all the time seems to just happen every so often. Also when I do a full lock seems like the power get sucked from the eletrics - I've been advised Spark plugs and HT leads could be why... I was just going to do it just so I know they have been done.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Might be worth checking the ball joints depending on the mileage/if it's lowered. About £20 for a pair (if you buy the laguna/megane ones - make sure the holes are 13mm not 10mm). I think these I are the ones I went for http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-MEGAN...400120410623?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item5d2908f1ff

Rear Discs - £90-£100 - Check the traders section on here as they'll be loads cheaper than a dealership. Make sure you get gen Renault with the bearings already fitted.

Rear Pads - £20 - I put Lucas ones on mine from a car parts place, have been fine.

CV Joint/Boot - Not sure, £200 for a whole driveshaft from Renault

HT Leads - I bought mine from performanceleads.co.uk, were about £40 for a set (seem to be decent quality). About £120 at Renault I think..

Spark plugs - You want the OE NGK ones, cheap as chips here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-x-NGK-PLATI...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3a4d2f7b62

Oil/Filter - Fully synthetic 5w40, check out opie oils in the traders section for deals (should be about £45 for a quality oil + filter)

Air filter - Think I was quoted about £17 for a standard one, so might be worth looking at the KTR re-usable version - http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2558

Should be it!

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Dont get the leads from performanceleads there worse than oe stuff, the resistance is much higher than the oe leads, stay away!!!

Audi S1
So far all I have is my Rear Pads.

I have been reccomended them Spark Plugs by a few people now, seems like there the best ones to get - for the money.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'd rather pay £21 more and have genuine with ABS ring TBH.

2003 Clio 172
Im sure you could stick any old pish on the back though, i dont think they do a whole pile on our twingos.

Correct me if im wrong though.

Jj

2003 Clio 172
Though, from a quick look on fleabay, there isnt much to be saved.

May as well go genuine lad

Jj

Blk/Gold 182 FF
i'm doing exactly the same to the clio once i get paid! i think i need all the above and also 2 new rear dampers as the left one leaked all over my drive lol also i think i need new bushes for the wishbones and also the ARB.

i have the same problem with the car sometimes not starting aswel? where was the best place to get leads from? i have already changed the plugs last month so i know there fine, i got the same ones of ebay as on here :)

Evo 8 MR
So far all I have is my Rear Pads.

I have been reccomended them Spark Plugs by a few people now, seems like there the best ones to get - for the money.

That's because they are the ONLY ones to get.

My car fails to start first time, not all the time seems to just happen every so often. Also when I do a full lock seems like the power get sucked from the eletrics - I've been advised Spark plugs and HT leads could be why... I was just going to do it just so I know they have been done.

Your battery might be on the way out.

Do you ever find that your trip computer resets itself randomly?

Audi S1
Your battery might be on the way out.

Do you ever find that your trip computer resets itself randomly?

Good point, although I did replace this about 1 n and half years ago so I doubt it is this, but I will check with Halford because for some reason I think I got the cheaper option which wasn't reccomend by Mr Halfords, but I just had a feeling he was ripping me off lol

Evo 8 MR
Good point, although I did replace this about 1 n and half years ago so I doubt it is this, but I will check with Halford because for some reason I think I got the cheaper option which wasn't reccomend by Mr Halfords, but I just had a feeling he was ripping me off lol

So your trip computer does reset randomly?

If it does it's definitely a dodgy battery.

Like? Sorry I am a noob to all of this. I'm doing the shopping my mate is doing the fitting lol.

Get it from Renault, a lot of people say the cheaper ones fail really easily.

Audi S1
So your trip computer does reset randomly?

If it does it's definitely a dodgy battery.

Get it from Renault, a lot of people say the cheaper ones fail really easily.

Sorry no it doesn't, it used to and I replaced the battery. But it could be my battery due to I went for the cheaper option.

I got my CV Boot from NWPerformance in the end, £5. If it breaks or is of poor quality it's only a fiver lost.

GSF, euro car parts etc.

Cheers mate, worth knowing for the future.