ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

advise needed

White APE
After a little advice on photographing planes. Ive not really done any photography in the past year and ive kind of forgotten it all!

I buoght a circular polarizing filter to help bring out contrast in my skies etc.

Now im off to Farnborough air show at the weekend and this week is their practice week and business displays, living a mile or 2 from it i get pretty good views so thought i would practice whilst hanging out my window.

I seem to be having problems getting any detail on the actual planes, they just seem to be coming out too dark.

Im using a D60 with a 55-200 nikon lens

DSC_0460.jpg

CPL set too dark?

DSC_0465.jpg

Better but not right

DSC_0483.jpg

DSC_0486.jpg

DSC_0489.jpg

DSC_0490.jpg

DSC_0500.jpg

Now, is it a case of distance and the sun not being on my side making things harder?
What setting would people recommened? Obviously come show day im going to be alot closer.

Thanks in advance

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I would say you need to bump the F stop along to 11+ for clear days like that.

The rule of "Sunny 16" might not quite apply there though...

What setting would people recommened? Obviously come show day im going to be alot closer.

I'm no aviation photography expert, but I struggled for half a day at Kemble a few years ago until I changed to Center Weighted Metering. That immediately brought the planes out of darkness and captured loads of detail.

I'm not sure if I would worry about a CP too much, as you're working through 180 degrees or so surely you would need to be adjusting it frequently anyway?

Again it's probably not strictly correct, but for jets I used Aperture Priority (generally f5.6-f8) and for propellers/copters I used Shutter Priority (1/100-1/200 ish) to make sure I got movement in the blades. Technically I think you're supposed to use Shutter Priority for all shots and pan as you would do with motorsport, but Aperture Priority seemed to get me more consistent results.

Jet....Aperture Priority, f5.6, Center Weighted
313615989_U6LEX-XL.jpg

Prop....Shutter Priority, 1/160, Center Weighted
314380851_K3Nge-XL.jpg

I find it's best to shoot manual at airshows (unless the light is very changeable) as there is far too much to confuse the camera's relatively simple light meter and it's different exposure modes..... i.e. bright sky = camera underexposes...bright aircraft = camera underexposes....etc. Trick is to turn 90 degrees from the sun and point at the sky and select your aperture and shutter speed, over-exposure by about a stop.....take some test shots and check the histogram....adjust accordingly.

By shooting manual your exposure will not change, irrespective of aircraft colour etc.