ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aero Catch fitting to boot lid

Clio 220 PH2
Hi All,
I am fitting aero catches to my fibre glass boot lid, i was wondering if anyone has any pictures of these fitted to there car. i am finding with mine where the boot curves of course the aero catch doesn't. How have people got round this problem ? can you simply heat the edges and curve it round ?

Many Thanks
Ben

172 Ph1
This is a common issue I have found .
I would suggest warming up the said catch and gently bending it into shape .
It can't be that hard .
Make a template out of cardboard the curve of the boot lid and then you will have the curve to work to when shaping the catch .
I'll be doing just this to mine .

Clio 220 PH2
This is a common issue I have found .
I would suggest warming up the said catch and gently bending it into shape .
It can't be that hard .
Make a template out of cardboard the curve of the boot lid and then you will have the curve to work to when shaping the catch .
I'll be doing just this to mine .
That's what I thought but what I was worried about was disturbing the pin mechanism and it not locking into place. I mean they are only hard plastic so I can imagine they would need too much heat on them.
That's a good idea I will try that see what happens

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
They aren't really designed to go on a panel as curved as the clio bootlid, just fit bonnet pins much easier and looks better than a distorted/cracked gel boot lid with aerocatches. any other thing you could do as your boot is glas is trim them down and glass them in from the back so they are integral to the bootlid..

Clio 220 PH2
They aren't really designed to go on a panel as curved as the clio bootlid, just fit bonnet pins much easier and looks better than a distorted/cracked gel boot lid with aerocatches. any other thing you could do as your boot is glas is trim them down and glass them in from the back so they are integral to the bootlid..
Yeah it is a very curved boot lid I think I need to have a play see what happens. But if all else fails pins are the way forward

172 Ph1
Really like these - but not having a locking system on them would be pointless using them.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450452473.771339.jpg

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Yes mate the good thing with them is there are two pins rather than one like a normal catch as well normally catches can fail where these don't very good pieces of kit

Cheers would you keep the std catch or these only? They look very clean better than areo imo

172 Ph1
Cheers would you keep the std catch or these only? They look very clean better than areo imo

cs_dave . I'm a bit confused with the quoted .

You say they look better than aero .
What do ? You've not said.

I mean : the Op is about aero catches and I posted an alternative.

Clio 220 PH2
Just for a back up I would keep the latch on for them (as pictured) but aero catches I have taken mine off for weight and I am happy with the security of them

Clio 220 PH2
@Ben NBR Cup , any updates fella . Have you done anything ?
Sorry for the extremely long delay but I have finally got round to fitting the aero catch got some pictures for you.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is just to seal where we had to cut the edge of the boot to get the inner bracket in not the nicest looking bit but rather that then a leak into the boot
image.jpeg

Got it a low as I could without damaging the fibre glass and the bits that were raised I have used black silicone to give it a more curved look I must admit it's come out really well.

172 Ph1
I did the same , the raised curve of the lid I pumped a little bit of sealer around the edges. I did mine across rather than down as it kept the amount of coming through the side of the tailgate to a minimum.

ba0ca21f5c55ca894e5452b29f5ede43.jpg

The water still comes in . Every time I open the lid , water that's come in through where the pins come through the catch pours out . Some small drain holes in the lower part of the lid will help drain the water away like where the tube exits on the OE lid .

Clio 220 PH2
I did the same , the raised curve of the lid I pumped a little bit of sealer around the edges. I did mine across rather than down as it kept the amount of coming through the side of the tailgate to a minimum.

ba0ca21f5c55ca894e5452b29f5ede43.jpg

The water still comes in . Every time I open the lid , water that's come in through where the pins come through the catch pours out . Some small drain holes in the lower part of the lid will help drain the water away like where the tube exits on the OE lid .
Yes when we first started doing it I was hoping it didn't break through but easily fixed with a lot of silicone lol.
Yes I was looking at it last night and thought it would come through the there
That's what I was going to do one both sides about a 4mm hole save the water trying to travel to the middle getting the whole boot lid wet