ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

After Market Cruise Control

ZT 1.8T
my mate who has a 1.6l 16v mk2 clio is looking for renault cruise control or an aftermarket one, he does a lot of long distance miles (from newcastle to exeter), any suggestions?

UR 197, AB 182 FF
BenR said:
Never seen aftermarket cruise control............a brick?

Didn't think it was possible either unless you get something to stick the throttle cable... Aint gonna happen is it

ph1 172
there is such thing as aftermarket cruise contol, its like a big idle control valve that operates the throttle and reads the road speed. do some googling

UR 197, AB 182 FF
tim124 said:
there is such thing as aftermarket cruise contol, its like a big idle control valve that operates the throttle and reads the road speed. do some googling

I would have thought any after market cruise control would work on revs - or at least that's how I would approach it, since revs/gear/speed are pretty much a fixed formula.

ph1 172
the one i saw worked on road speed, that way it could be used on automatic cars too, where the car might not stay in the same gear.

UR 197, AB 182 FF
tim124 said:
the one i saw worked on road speed, that way it could be used on automatic cars too, where the car might not stay in the same gear.

Ah yes, I didn't think of that. I'd very curious now to see how they do it.

RS Megane DCi 175
It is available on non-sport models isn't it?
I take it it's a bit like retro-fitting air-con - as in, anything is possible but not worth the hassle or the ££.

UR 197, AB 182 FF
Thanks for the link Tim. Surprisngly cheap really. Tempted to buy one and fit it myself. But It would definitely void the warranty.. :(

ZT 1.8T
iv saw the kits tim124 posted up, just thaught renault did one thats all, looks like its one of them kits then, theres load of ways of doing it, some have a pneumatic ram attached to where the accelerator cable meets the engine, they read the road speed from the ECU i think, for cars without and ECU iv seen a magnetic colar thats fits around the drive shaft and goes off engine revs. In the cockpit a mini computer module reads all the info and decides to increase or decrease the throttle to keep the same roadspeed, unfortunatly it doesnt break...thats up to u. I think that would do my mate though its just so he can keep his foot off the accelerator, after 2 7 hour drives a week end his foot gets cramp haha

BMW M135i
The only trouble with kits like that is it I imagine there designed for cars with a cable throttle, whereas the Mk2 Ph2 (assuming it is) uses a fly by wire throttle.

RS Megane DCi 175
bmh.01 said:
Yep, but i've only ever seen it on an initiale and there rarer than rocking horse sh*t.

Oh right. I thought for sure it was an option (albeit an expensive one) much like climate control, xenons etc etc? Could very well be wrong tho.

BMW M135i
MattT said:
Oh right. I thought for sure it was an option (albeit an expensive one) much like climate control, xenons etc etc? Could very well be wrong tho.
Think its an option full stop on any non rs clio as i've seen some initailes without it, would imagine you could have it on a dynamique etc if you'll pay for it.

bmh.01 said:
Think its an option full stop on any non rs clio as i've seen some initailes without it, would imagine you could have it on a dynamique etc if you'll pay for it.
Its only an option on the higher powered ones the dci 80-/100 and the 1.4 and 1.6 cars from memory.